Truss

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
WrenChasen
2 Lemon pips

Truss

Post by WrenChasen »

Talk about getting off to a rocky start...

Does anyone think she'll still be PM come the next General Election?

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Re: Truss

Post by DrFfybes »

I suspect she won't be the day after.

AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Post by AsleepInYorkshire »

WrenChasen wrote:Talk about getting off to a rocky start...

Does anyone think she'll still be PM come the next General Election?
She does

AiY(D)

nimnarb
Lemon Quarter

Post by nimnarb »

Oh Bojo, where art tho?

Mike4
Lemon Half

Post by Mike4 »

I'm surprised there have been no other threads commenting on this....

swill453
Lemon Half

Post by swill453 »

nimnarb wrote:Oh Bojo, where art tho?
In the Caribbean for a fortnight apparently. It's not like parliament is sitting or anything, is it?

Scott.

didds
Lemon Quarter

Post by didds »

last I heard (this week) he wasn't doing the job he is paid for as an MP for Uxbridge and South Ruislip, attending the HoC etc etc but was filling his pockets on a lecture tour in the USA. I'm sure his constituents are fine with that.

Arborbridge
Lemon Half

Post by Arborbridge »

didds wrote:

last I heard (this week) he wasn't doing the job he is paid for as an MP for Uxbridge and South Ruislip, attending the HoC etc etc but was filling his pockets on a lecture tour in the USA. I'm sure his constituents are fine with that.
His snout in the trough - just goes to show his focus in life and why he was never suitable material for PM.

monabri
Lemon Half

Post by monabri »

Arborbridge wrote:
didds wrote:
His snout in the trough - just goes to show his focus in life and why he was never suitable material for PM.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/20 ... -speaking/

Apparently it was $350k ..for 30 min speech and a chat.

"Theresa May, his predecessor, is signed to the Washington Speakers’ Bureau and earned more than £1.86 million in her first two years since returning to the backbenches.

The Office of David Cameron, meanwhile, made a profit of £836,168 in the year ending April 30, 2019, an increase from the £790,274 generated in the previous year."

:roll: x 1000

nimnarb
Lemon Quarter

Post by nimnarb »

Arborbridge wrote:
didds wrote:

What exactly is suitable material these days for a PM, when they are either bonking, drinking, lying, partying, groping, snorting, you know, what most normal MP's appear to do most of the time. Not sure if May had it in her, but she "may" have done so.

Seriously though, anyone who takes on a job like this, has to have a screw loose anyway. So, again, pray tell, what classifies as "suitable material" as thinking of applying in a few years(not) :lol:

https://www.pbs.org/wgbh/masterpiece/sp ... -scandals/

Mike4
Lemon Half

Post by Mike4 »

nimnarb wrote:
Arborbridge wrote:

What exactly is suitable material these days for a PM, when they are either bonking, drinking, lying, partying, groping, snorting, you know, what most normal MP's appear to do most of the time. Not sure if May had it in her, but she "may" have done so.

Seriously though, anyone who takes on a job like this, has to have a screw loose anyway. So, again, pray tell, what classifies as "suitable material" as thinking of applying in a few years(not) :lol:

Well I'd like to nominate whoever it was organised the Queen's funeral. They'd make a truly excellent PM in my opinion!

Dod101
The full Lemon

Post by Dod101 »

Mike4 wrote:
nimnarb wrote:

Well I'd like to nominate whoever it was organised the Queen's funeral. They'd make a truly excellent PM in my opinion!
The Duke of Norfolk. None of us is perfect. He just lost his licence for using his mobile phone whilst driving. Apparently does not understand how to go handsfree and no one thought to tell him.

Dod

bluedonkey
Lemon Quarter

Post by bluedonkey »

The last time we had a PM in the Lords was 1902, so I think the Duke of Norfolk can concentrate on an advanced driving course instead.

pje16
Lemon Half

Post by pje16 »

bluedonkey wrote:The last time we had a PM in the Lords was 1902, so I think the Duke of Norfolk can concentrate on an advanced driving course instead.
Wow I feel good !!!
I am an advanced driver as I always make hands-free calls... who knew :lol:

Dod101
The full Lemon

Post by Dod101 »

Back to the topic. Can Truss survive all of this? Fairly obviously, much of the mini budget measures are about to be reversed otherwise the markets will again go into a tailspin. Will Truss and Kwarteng for that matter have the gall to hang around after that? It looks as if the BoE is about to be shown to have done the right thing in withdrawing further support to the markets. TRuss is hardly likely to be around until anywhere near the next GE, unless of course she decides to try to call one now.

Sounds as if Conservative MPs have now lost patience with both, and the stupidity of the system for electing a new leader had been proved.

Dod

servodude
Lemon Half

Post by servodude »

Dod101 wrote:Back to the topic. Can Truss survive all of this? Fairly obviously, much of the mini budget measures are about to be reversed otherwise the markets will again go into a tailspin. Will Truss and Kwarteng for that matter have the gall to hang around after that? It looks as if the BoE is about to be shown to have done the right thing in withdrawing further support to the markets. TRuss is hardly likely to be around until anywhere near the next GE, unless of course she decides to try to call one now.

Sounds as if Conservative MPs have now lost patience with both, and the stupidity of the system for electing a new leader had been proved.

Dod
I think it's a return to the dead duck Major days
- can't see how they can survive as a party trying to have another leadership election with all that's going on; so they'll suck that up and blame the next government for the mess they've left in the hope of only being out of power for one term

bluedonkey
Lemon Quarter

Post by bluedonkey »

As a general rule, the ability of a UK PM to be able to hang on under our system is under-estimated. I reckon she could limp on to the GE.

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Post by bungeejumper »

Lessons from history. Canada 1993. Kim Campbell led her conservative government into a general election with 156 seats, and emerged with just 2 seats. :) (Liberals and Bloc Quebecois regionalists picked up most of the lost seats.) And the ensuing Lib government lasted for ten pretty prosperous years https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1993_Cana ... l_election

We already know that Kwasi's memory doesn't go back further than 2008, because he's told us so. But d'you think somebody ought to have told Liz?

BJ

UncleEbenezer
Lemon Half

Post by UncleEbenezer »

bungeejumper wrote:Lessons from history. Canada 1993. Kim Campbell led her conservative government into a general election with 156 seats, and emerged with just 2 seats. :)
BJ
I don't think that could happen here.

The primary reason being, as in the last couple of elections, Labour.

WrenChasen
2 Lemon pips

Post by WrenChasen »

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2022/1 ... cal-death/

For non-subscribers, this Telegraph comment suggests the real problem will be if Truss gives up on her agenda, increases taxes, and then staggers on as PM anyway, at which point she'll become pointless - "an emblem of a Conservative party drained of ideas and personnel, unable to enact its own agenda and regarding its principles as politically unsellable."

Whichever way you look at it, the Truss and Kwarteng Show has been a gift to Labour...although I doubt anyone facing an increase of hundreds of pounds in their monthly living costs gives a hoot about the fate of the Conservatives.

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”