Where have all the Scottish Porridge Makers Gone?

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
scotia
Lemon Quarter

Where have all the Scottish Porridge Makers Gone?

Post by scotia »

Suffolk cafe owner scoops porridge prize for second time
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland- ... s-63188168

Mike4
Lemon Half

Re: Where have all the Scottish Porridge Makers Gone?

Post by Mike4 »

Hmmm porridge, I'd forgotten all about that! Must try making some.

From the link:
"The coveted Golden Spurtle is awarded to the maker of the best traditional porridge using three ingredients - oatmeal, water and salt."

Are those the ONLY ingredients allowed? I ask because later in the article it mentions how 'well seasoned' the winning brew was/is. It seems a bit limiting to have only oats, water and salt in a UK-wide competition.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Post by Dod101 »

Mike4 wrote:Hmmm porridge, I'd forgotten all about that! Must try making some.

From the link:
"The coveted Golden Spurtle is awarded to the maker of the best traditional porridge using three ingredients - oatmeal, water and salt."

Are those the ONLY ingredients allowed? I ask because later in the article it mentions how 'well seasoned' the winning brew was/is. It seems a bit limiting to have only oats, water and salt in a UK-wide competition.
I have porridge every morning and these are the only ingredients that I use. I use Scott's Porridge Oats which is an easy option. My father always used pinhead oatmeal which he 'steeped' or left covered in water overnight. I think he used a steamer for the porridge, which meant that it was indirectly heated from a pan of boiling water, the steam from which provided the heat to make the porridge in a smaller pan above. No idea why and I can no longer ask him.

Dod

servodude
Lemon Half

Post by servodude »

Dod101 wrote:
Mike4 wrote:Hmmm porridge, I'd forgotten all about that! Must try making some.

From the link:

I have porridge every morning and these are the only ingredients that I use. I use Scott's Porridge Oats which is an easy option. My father always used pinhead oatmeal which he 'steeped' or left covered in water overnight. I think he used a steamer for the porridge, which meant that it was indirectly heated from a pan of boiling water, the steam from which provided the heat to make the porridge in a smaller pan above. No idea why and I can no longer ask him.

Dod
Steaming porridge means you don't have to look at it; it won't stick and ruin your pot.
Did you have a porridge drawer? I've encountered a few but never tried it myself.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Post by Dod101 »

servodude wrote:
Dod101 wrote: I have porridge every morning and these are the only ingredients that I use. I use Scott's Porridge Oats which is an easy option. My father always used pinhead oatmeal which he 'steeped' or left covered in water overnight. I think he used a steamer for the porridge, which meant that it was indirectly heated from a pan of boiling water, the steam from which provided the heat to make the porridge in a smaller pan above. No idea why and I can no longer ask him.

Dod
Steaming porridge means you don't have to look at it; it won't stick and ruin your pot.
Did you have a porridge drawer? I've encountered a few but never tried it myself.
We had no porridge drawer although I have heard of them. Re the steamer, I did not know that and have often thought that I lose a lot of porridge because inevitably, quite a lot sticks to the pan. Are steamers still available? No reason why not.

Dod

servodude
Lemon Half

Post by servodude »

Dod101 wrote:Are steamers still available? No reason why not
I believe it's come back in fashion as a healthy way of cooking!
I mostly used mine for greens though these days

I know congee can be made in a rice cooker :)

Hypster
2 Lemon pips

Post by Hypster »

I have Scotts porridge every morning. I follow the microwave method on the box. Once cooked I add frozen berries, flax, chia, a spoonful of soya protein and just enough honey to coat the back of a spoon. By the time I've stirred it, the berries have defrosted and cooled the porridge ready to eat.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Post by Dod101 »

Snorvey wrote:I mix up a bowl of Tesco porridge oats and water every day and pop it in the fridge overnight for eating the next morning. And that's it.

Up until around the turn of this year I was putting a small scoop of protein powder in there too.

It's a far cry from the sugar loaded crap I used to eat in the morning!
Not even any salt? Good for you.

6Tricia
2 Lemon pips

Post by 6Tricia »

Monday mornings I batch cook basic porridge for the week in my Ninja Foodi. The week's breakfasts are ready in 11 minutes! Monday's breakfast is ready and the other five portions are kept in lidded bowls in the fridge (Sundays I treat myself and cook something I fancy on the day) so that all I have to do each morning is take out a bowl, add a little milk and pop it in the microwave for two minutes then stir in fresh or frozen homegrown berries depending on time of year - thus saving a lot of time and electricity over the course of a year. It's a routine that works well for me - and helps to keep my electricity bill down :).

Big fan of the Ninja Foodi!

Tricia

scotview
Lemon Quarter

Post by scotview »

I boil a kettle with enough water for say two cups.
Put hot water in my coffee filter bag to brew.
Next put porridge in a bowl.
Pour the remaining kettle hot water in the porridge.
Place in micro for 30 seconds (water already boiled), watch like a hawk in case it boils over.
Take out and stir, put in a little skimmed milk to cool and cream up, sometimes honey, lovely.

Using the kettle hot water means less time in the micro and your boiling the water anyway for the coffee. Coffee and porridge synchronised.

scotview
Lemon Quarter

Post by scotview »

Snorvey wrote: Is that, like, gay porridge? Milk & honey. Stone him!
Aye, well cold milk or cold water is to prevent a visit to A&E with first degree burns tae the moo.

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”