Posting photos

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
Howyoudoin
Lemon Quarter

Posting photos

Post by Howyoudoin »

I used to be able to post photos on TLF but not any longer.

Now I get a message saying 'Your images may only be up to 1200 pixels high.'

I've seen others posting photos since so is this a subtle way of telling me not to post photos any more?

HYD

Clariman
Lemon Quarter

Re: Posting photos

Post by Clariman »

It's certainly nothing personal. Whatever you have experienced will be the same for all. I'm not up to speed with what the image settings are currently. If it's a problem let me know and I'll ask Stooz to give us the details.

scotia
Lemon Quarter

Post by scotia »

Howyoudoin wrote:I used to be able to post photos on TLF but not any longer.

Now I get a message saying 'Your images may only be up to 1200 pixels high.'

I've seen others posting photos since so is this a subtle way of telling me not to post photos any more?

HYD
Its been like this for some time. There are many (free) photo utilities which will compress your photos to that size - and on a computer screen you won't notice the (quality) difference.

Howyoudoin
Lemon Quarter

Post by Howyoudoin »

Clariman wrote:It's certainly nothing personal. Whatever you have experienced will be the same for all. I'm not up to speed with what the image settings are currently. If it's a problem let me know and I'll ask Stooz to give us the details.
Thanks Clariman.

Its just VERY odd that i've never had a problem before with any photo and now I can't post any. Perhaps Stooz has changed the restrictions in the background?

HYD

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Post by DrFfybes »

Howyoudoin wrote:
Clariman wrote:It's certainly nothing personal. Whatever you have experienced will be the same for all. I'm not up to speed with what the image settings are currently. If it's a problem let me know and I'll ask Stooz to give us the details.
Thanks Clariman.

Its just VERY odd that i've never had a problem before with any photo and now I can't post any. Perhaps Stooz has changed the restrictions in the background?

HYD
You haven't had a new phone or changed your camera settings have you? I tend to take 0.3M photos for posting (480x640 pixels) as most sites will upload them with no problems, but the next option is 3Mb shots, which are 2048 x 1536 high.

Paul

yorkshirelad1
Lemon Slice

Post by yorkshirelad1 »

If you use https://imgur.com/upload to put your photos on TLF, there's a resize option when you have put your image on to imgur.com. It probably won't make much difference for on-screen viewing in TLF.

88V8
Lemon Quarter

Post by 88V8 »

I use a third-party site - Photobucket - so there are no size limits... share...embed... img... select size... copy link... paste

Hallucigenia
Lemon Quarter

Post by Hallucigenia »

Howyoudoin wrote:Its just VERY odd that i've never had a problem before with any photo and now I can't post any. Perhaps Stooz has changed the restrictions in the background?

HYD
The 1200px height limit has been in place for a good while. Here's an image that's 841px (Twitter medium setting), but if you try to display it with the Twitter large parameter that takes it up to 1240px high and it doesn't work :

Try it yourself if you want to persuade yourself that it's not some personal vendetta against your account :
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FdF8Z9fXkAE ... ame=medium

(whilst we're on the topic, I know there's issues with direct image upload, but allowing images of no more than 4 colours would allow people to upload charts which would be kinda handy for a financial site rather than faffing with 3rd party sites.....)

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Post by mc2fool »

88V8 wrote:I use a third-party site - Photobucket - so there are no size limits... share...embed... img... select size... copy link... paste
The size limits being referred to aren't at the image hosting site but at TLF, which won't let you embed images taller than 1200 pixels high.

That limitation has been around for a little while, I believe it came with the (welcome) change that causes over-wide images to now resize to fit the window, rather than the window adding a horizontal scroll bar.

However, the other change (almost certainly related) is that now trying to embed some images results in "It was not possible to determine the dimensions of the image. Please verify that the URL you entered is correct.", and annoyingly a lot of those seem to be the smaller size options from Wikipedia.

E.g. https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/ ... ap.svg.png

Try embedding that in [img][/img] tags....

Howyoudoin
Lemon Quarter

Post by Howyoudoin »

Hallucigenia wrote:
Howyoudoin wrote:Its just VERY odd that i've never had a problem before with any photo and now I can't post any. Perhaps Stooz has changed the restrictions in the background?

HYD
The 1200px height limit has been in place for a good while. Here's an image that's 841px (Twitter medium setting), but if you try to display it with the Twitter large parameter that takes it up to 1240px high and it doesn't work :

Try it yourself if you want to persuade yourself that it's not some personal vendetta against your account :
https://pbs.twimg.com/media/FdF8Z9fXkAE ... ame=medium

(whilst we're on the topic, I know there's issues with direct image upload, but allowing images of no more than 4 colours would allow people to upload charts which would be kinda handy for a financial site rather than faffing with 3rd party sites.....)
Clariman has confirmed so that’s good enough for me.

I just can’t explain how the same phone camera which I’ve used all along is now getting this limit break.

But it is what it is. If I need to get around the issue, I’ll use one of the solutions kindly given in this thread by other users.

Thanks to all,

HYD

yorkshirelad1
Lemon Slice

Post by yorkshirelad1 »

yorkshirelad1 wrote:If you use https://imgur.com/upload to put your photos on TLF, there's a resize option when you have put your image on to imgur.com. It probably won't make much difference for on-screen viewing in TLF.
I've had time to research this further, and here's the site 'FAQ' on posting images which may be of assistance. It also evidences the change from 800 pixles to 1200 pixels earlier in 2022
https://www.lemonfool.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=11255

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”