Temperture in the Home

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
Dod101
The full Lemon

Temperture in the Home

Post by Dod101 »

I cannot see me living with a relatively low temperature at home for very long. I have worked around this morning and sat down occasionally for a coffee and then a light lunch. The temperature is around 15C. Even with a medium weight sweater that is too cold for comfort and I will be tempted with some heating this evening quite possibly. Do others find 15C a nice balmy temperature or rather chilly?

Anyway I am now going out to walk for a couple of hours.

Dod

UncleEbenezer
Lemon Half

Re: Temperture in the Home

Post by UncleEbenezer »

My kitchen says 16 degrees, which is the first time it's been below about 18.5 since before the summer peak. I'm sitting (upstairs where it's warmer) in shorts and t-shirt. I have yet to wear anything more substantial this season, but I may soon start to take something with me when going out in the evening. I might soon even wear a light jumper in the sitting room, which is cooler than the kitchen.

Howyoudoin
Lemon Quarter

Post by Howyoudoin »

I switch the heating on in my new house this morning.

Just to ‘test its working’ of course.

:)

HYD

Mike4
Lemon Half

Post by Mike4 »

Dod101 wrote:I cannot see me living with a relatively low temperature at home for very long. I have worked around this morning and sat down occasionally for a coffee and then a light lunch. The temperature is around 15C. Even with a medium weight sweater that is too cold for comfort and I will be tempted with some heating this evening quite possibly. Do others find 15C a nice balmy temperature or rather chilly?

Dod
I'd find it absolutely intolerable. My kitchen was 19c this morning according to the Nest (which I think reads several degrees higher than actual) and I put the heating on for an hour. My hovel feels much more homely now. I almost lit the log burner but I'm off to the boat later and it would be a waste.

scotview
Lemon Quarter

Post by scotview »

I'm up in my art roomy starting a water colour, it's a horrible day outside, we've had our daily walk.

The thermostat says 21 C, nice and comfortable. The temperature of this room can be set individually, so not heating the whole house. I like a comfortable temperature but in the lounge my wife can quite happily sit at 19 C, in fact prefers it at that.

I'll go down to the TV room later to see the football and will put that up to 21 C, it is currently sitting at 17 C.

Lots of discussion recently on the minutiae of energy/cost saving. The big deal in energy cost/use comes from November through March when heating uses an order of magnitude more energy.

People seem to be getting confused between energy use and cost of energy. Electricity costs four times as much as gas per unit but you will use a lot more units of gas heating your home. It would cost a LOT more if you were heating by electricity. Cannot figure out why electricity should be SO much dearer than gas. Gas is incredibly CHEAP.

Mike4
Lemon Half

Post by Mike4 »

scotview wrote:I'm up in my art roomy starting a water colour, it's a horrible day outside, we've had our daily walk.

The thermostat says 21 C, nice and comfortable. The temperature of this room can be set individually, so not heating the whole house. I like a comfortable temperature but in the lounge my wife can quite happily sit at 19 C, in fact prefers it at that.

I'll go down to the TV room later to see the football and will put that up to 21 C, it is currently sitting at 17 C.

Lots of discussion recently on the minutiae of energy/cost saving. The big deal in energy cost/use comes from November through March when heating uses an order of magnitude more energy.

People seem to be getting confused between energy use and cost of energy. Electricity costs four times as much as gas per unit but you will use a lot more units of gas heating your home. It would cost a LOT more if you were heating by electricity. Cannot figure out why electricity should be SO much dearer than gas. Gas is incredibly CHEAP.

I am under the impression is decreed by governments across the EU that the ratio of electricity:gas price is to be 4:1. I too have no idea why this should be, but a news item a few days ago discussed it and how German politicians are saying one way out of this mess is to break the link. No-one ever seems to explain why it exists in the first place though.

If it does!

(Edit to get my ration the right way around.)

Laughton
Lemon Slice

Post by Laughton »

Where are all you people living??

Just checked and thermometer in the living room shows very pleasant 22 degrees.

Don't expect to have to put heating on until mid October although bathroom towel rails on sooner because who want to dry off with a not quite dry towel?

L (East Sussex - in a fairly old house with lots of windows so benefits from sunny days, as today).

pje16
Lemon Half

Post by pje16 »

I have just got home (NW London) and Alexa is showing 16 degrees
feel fine to me, but I don't feel the cold until it gets much lower than that

scotview
Lemon Quarter

Post by scotview »

Laughton wrote:Where are all you people living??
NE Scotland 12 C, 20mph, gusting 30 mph.

monabri
Lemon Half

Post by monabri »

Midlands...BBC Weather says 16'C at 14:30. Indoors it is 20'C ( radiant heat from the sun warming the room). I'm sat here typing in shorts and a T shirt. It was a bit parky outside in the garden.

Mike4
Lemon Half

Post by Mike4 »

Laughton wrote:Where are all you people living??.
I'm in a nice rural bit of Wiltshire. My garden thermometer (which I think is pretty accurately calibrated) is reading 14c.

Inside the house my Nest reads 21c but I've just put my digital thermometer right next to it, and that says 19c! Which I find perfectly comfortable.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Post by Dod101 »

I am in north central Scotland. Not too much wind but quite cold, under 15C I think. When walking fairly briskly it is fine but if I sit around it gets cold inside or out. I will try to keep the temperature at around 196/20C and see how I get on.

Dod

Gerry557
Lemon Quarter

Post by Gerry557 »

Dod101 wrote:I cannot see me living with a relatively low temperature at home for very long. I have worked around this morning and sat down occasionally for a coffee and then a light lunch. The temperature is around 15C. Even with a medium weight sweater that is too cold for comfort and I will be tempted with some heating this evening quite possibly. Do others find 15C a nice balmy temperature or rather chilly?

Dod
I would find sitting down doing nothing at 15C quite cool after a while or if cold already. Just been pottering in the garden in the sunshine and it's t-shirt n shorts.

Then I sat under the pergola, no factor 50 on see, having a coffee and a tabbing session and it's coming on cooler. I've thrown on my jacket over my t-shirt to warm my arms. I suppose I can sit in the sun if it gets too cool. It's probably warmer in the garden than the room at the back of the house. The room at the front has windows open cos of the big bright thing in the sky which floods in.

NotSure
Lemon Slice

Post by NotSure »

I think this thread may run a while this autumn/winter...

It's about 18 or 19 indoors here. It did feel chilly, then I looked at the thermostat and though "come on!".

I think I feel it more now as we are coming off a hot to warm summer. First winter of 'work at home' Covid, we (my wife and I) did put the heating on midday for an hour or two when it got particularly chilly. Second winter, we managed without (our heating is still pre-Covid, 1.5 hours around getting up time plus a couple of hours at getting home time).

Anyway, my point is that one acclimatises, just not yet for this winter.

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Post by AF62 »

Dod101 wrote:Do others find 15C a nice balmy temperature or rather chilly?
That’s far too cold an indoor temperature for me.

If I am going to be sat relaxing then anything below 20c is too cool, and generally I have the heating set to 21.5c for the living room (although cooler elsewhere in the house).

However as the house is well insulated it isn’t hard to maintain that temperature - today with an outdoor temperature of 15c at midday the inside temperature was 20.5c with no heating.

Laughton
Lemon Slice

Post by Laughton »

Sun still shining and living room now 23 degrees.

Probably have to close the french doors to garden soon as the sun moves around to the end of the house. ;)

East Sussex - very scattered light clouds and hardly any breeze.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Post by Dod101 »

Laughton wrote:Sun still shining and living room now 23 degrees.

Probably have to close the french doors to garden soon as the sun moves around to the end of the house. ;)

East Sussex - very scattered light clouds and hardly any breeze.
Dull and grey with me which accounts for the lowish temperature I guess. I will switch on the heating for an hour two for the first time this year.

Dod

Howyoudoin
Lemon Quarter

Post by Howyoudoin »

I’ve spent the last 20 years in top floor flats so can’t handle anything less than 22 degrees. Happy to spend more on gas and less on things like car expenses, where I don’t have one.

HYD

paulnumbers
Lemon Slice

Post by paulnumbers »

I came across this the other day.

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.u ... winter.pdf

Daytime recommendations

The 18°C (65F) threshold is particularly important for people over 65yrs or with preexisting medical conditions. Having temperatures slightly above this threshold may be beneficial for health.

The 18°C (65F) threshold also applies to healthy people (1 – 64). If they are wearing appropriate clothing and are active, they may wish to heat their homes to slightly less than 18°C (65F)

Overnight recommendations

Maintaining the 18°C (65F) threshold overnight may be beneficial to protect the health of those over 65yrs or with pre-existing medical conditions. They should continue to use sufficient bedding, clothing and thermal blankets or heating aids as appropriate.

Overnight, the 18°C (65F) threshold may be less important for healthy people (1 – 64)* if they have sufficient bedding, clothing and use thermal blankets or heating aids as appropriate.

UncleEbenezer
Lemon Half

Post by UncleEbenezer »

paulnumbers wrote:I came across this the other day.
It used[1] to be 12 degrees. And that was just when there's an old person who might fall and be unable to get up, so spends a long time exposed to it. Healthy/younger folks, no such constraints.

[1] I don't remember how long ago, but certainly within my adult life.

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”