The Queen is Dead

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

The Queen is Dead

Post by AsleepInYorkshire »

God bless her

AiY(D)

Mike4
Lemon Half

Re: The Queen is Dead

Post by Mike4 »

Long live the King.

staffordian
Lemon Quarter

Post by staffordian »

A long life, relatively active and healthy to the end. And what a life. We shall never see her like again.

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Post by Itsallaguess »

"I declare before you all that my whole life, whether it be long or short, shall be devoted to your service and the service of our great imperial family to which we all belong." - Speech on her 21st birthday, April 21, 1947

"Each day is a new beginning, I know that the only way to live my life is to try to do what is right, to take the long view, to give of my best in all that the day brings, and to put my trust in God." - 2002 Christmas broadcast

"Perhaps we make too much of what is wrong and too little of what is right." - 1974 Christmas broadcast

"Grief is the price we pay for love." - following the attacks on September 11th 2001

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

terminal7
Lemon Quarter

Post by terminal7 »

Whether republican or monarchist, we can all agree that ER was a remarkable lady and I suspect the reason why there has been no serious republican movement in the UK in the last 70 years.

I was 7 when my parents bought a little tv set and about 12/15 of us sat around in our flat in Shepherds Bush with neighbours and watched the Coronation.

Deeply saddened by the Nation's loss.

T7

stewamax
Lemon Quarter

Post by stewamax »

In her very long life, HM extremely rarely put a foot wrong - unlike the many devious, slimy and often venal politicians and other heads of state that she had to be gracious to.
She exemplified rectitude in an age mostly devoid of it.
We could trust her; and did.

Requiem æternam dona ei, et lux perpetua luceat ei.

XFool
The full Lemon

Post by XFool »

King Charles III

Now confirmed.

88V8
Lemon Quarter

Post by 88V8 »

Remarkable how she touched even those who never met her.
My wife cried when the death was announced.

V8

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Post by kiloran »

I'll miss her smile. Just radiated happiness
A remarkable lady in a world of turmoil.

A good(?) excuse to raise a glass of Islay's finest this evening.

--kiloran

Leothebear
Lemon Quarter

Post by Leothebear »

Yes she was remarkable. Her dedication and awareness of her responsibilites in her duties was astonishing. She carried out her mission as Queen hardly putting a foot wrong.

However I don't think this should be too sad an occassion. She lived a healthy and long life with a husband she adored. She was still fully functioning in her role until a day or two ago. She died peacefully of old age. Is there a better way to go? Many of us have parents who spent their last years with dementia or worse, making their twilights tragic.

All her family can be proud of her and perhaps a little intimidated in following in her footsteps.

All lives end and hers was about as perfect as one could have hoped.

Mike4
Lemon Half

Post by Mike4 »

Leothebear wrote:Yes she was remarkable. Her dedication and awareness of her responsibilites in her duties was astonishing. She carried out her mission as Queen hardly putting a foot wrong.

However I don't think this should be too sad an occassion. She lived a healthy and long life with a husband she adored. She was still fully functioning in her role until a day or two ago. She died peacefully of old age. Is there a better way to go? Many of us have parents who spent their last years with dementia or worse, making their twilights tragic.

All her family can be proud of her and perhaps a little intimidated in following in her footsteps.

All lives end and hers was about as perfect as one could have hoped.

I have been musing about this. We don't know she died peacefully of old age, even though she probably did.

Her cause of death has not been published, and perhaps never will be. But this is not the time or place to speculate.

I'm deeply shocked and saddened she has gone.

kempiejon
Lemon Quarter

Post by kempiejon »

Mike4
Lemon Half

Post by Mike4 »

Never liked them.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Post by Dod101 »

One further consequence of the death of QE2 is that of course Prince William is suddenly immediate heir to the throne, and thinking of which I was quite surprised that in the interests of risk management, a number of Royals, Prince William and other lesser Royals, flew together to Aberdeen yesterday afternoon, but at least the next in line to the throne was enjoying his first day at his new school.

Dod

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Post by Itsallaguess »

I must say that Huw Edwards deserves huge credit for the way he managed to make the live announcement on BBC News yesterday.

Having been following the news for a few hours by then, I didn't think I'd get too emotional when what felt like the inevitable news eventually did come in, but seeing Huw delivering the sad news in such a professional way, but with a clear croak in his voice and a dampness in his eyes was a terribly sad moment - like watching your Dad get upset, it sometimes hits you in a way that feels very different to other types of emotional moments...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ttFKYtK1jXM

On a slightly different note, but related to the above live announcement, I can only assume the two idiots behind the live desk, who decided it would be a good time to get their phones out and record the historic announcement before they were clearly admonished by a white-shirted colleague, may have some interesting meetings with their upper management in the coming days...

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

idpickering
Lemon Half

Post by idpickering »

It was an honour to have served HM The Queen throughout my many years service in HM Forces. RIP your Majesty. Long live The King.

Ian.

AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Post by AsleepInYorkshire »

Let the cannons roar, let the tributes pour,
Let the bells ring, with solemn tone,
For she is dead,
Let the bells toll, lower the flags,
And cry

Let the sun shine, lay flowers on her shrine,
Let prayers be said, with tears of joy,
Remember,
Let the nation mourn, the world respect,
And smile

Let celebrations begin, let the choirs sing,
Let hearts lift up, with glowing pride,
Salute,
Let the annals say, she was our Queen,
And rejoice

AiY(D)
Copyright exists

brightncheerful
Lemon Quarter

Post by brightncheerful »

source: The Guardian newspaper 13 December 2012

"One doesn't normally keep the Queen waiting. But on Thursday Her Majesty finally received an answer to a question she first asked four years ago: why did nobody notice the "awful" financial crisis earlier? As she toured the Bank of England's gold vault, Sujit Kapadia, an economist and one of the Bank's top financial policy experts, stopped the Queen to say he would like to answer the question she first posed to academics at the London School of Economics at the height of the financial crisis in 2008. "Oh," she said, slightly taken aback, as Kapadia went on to explain that as the global economy boomed in the pre-crisis years, the City had got "complacent" and many thought regulation wasn't necessary. The Queen, who appeared quite animated during the discussion, said: "People got a bit lax … perhaps it is difficult to foresee [a financial crisis]."

Kapadia told Her Majesty that financial crises were a bit like earthquakes and flu pandemics in being rare and difficult to predict, and reassured her that the staff at the Bank were there to help prevent another one. "Is there another one coming?" the Duke of Edinburgh joked, before warning them: "Don't do it again."

--

Paddington Bear:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7UfiCa244XE

funny moments:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkhmyaWHeKg

---

Rest in Peace

Bnc and Mrs Bnc

swill453
Lemon Half

Post by swill453 »

I see the usual suspects (Daily Mail and its readers) are having a go at Harry for being "too late" getting to Balmoral.

They're missing the point that all the others were too late too. I'd hazard a guess she passed away lunchtime yesterday.

Scott.

Rhyd6
Lemon Quarter

Post by Rhyd6 »

The BBC have announced that they are cancelling the Last Night of the Proms. Why? I would have thought that this would be an evening to celebrate the reign of a wonderful Queen and to let the world know that the majority of British people loved and respected her.

R6

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”