We can all .......

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
Leothebear
Lemon Quarter

We can all .......

Post by Leothebear »

..... rest easy. Ms Truss says she'll lower taxes, deal with energy costs and deal with long term energy requirements.

Well that is a load off my mind. Why didn't BJ think of these?

TUK020
Lemon Quarter

Re: We can all .......

Post by TUK020 »

When I heard the news about Truss yesterday, I admit that I was less than enthusiastic.

However, I then saw in quick succession 3 items in the news that cheered me up, and left me feeling that perhaps I had misjudged her/the situation:
- Nadines Dorries had resigned
- Even better, Priti Patel was going
- BoJo had scheduled a leaving speech. Not that I had any interest in what he had to say, but the fact of the event as confirmation that he was indeed departing!

swill453
Lemon Half

Post by swill453 »

The weather has delivered its verdict on the new PM.

Scott.

UncleEbenezer
Lemon Half

Post by UncleEbenezer »

TUK020 wrote:When I heard the news about Truss yesterday, I admit that I was less than enthusiastic.

However, I then saw in quick succession 3 items in the news that cheered me up, and left me feeling that perhaps I had misjudged her/the situation:
Not sure about "even better" there. But two positives - until we see what Truss puts in their place.

Did they jump before they were pushed? Seems likely, unless someone knows better?

Maylix
2 Lemon pips

Post by Maylix »

UncleEbenezer wrote:
TUK020 wrote:When I heard the news about Truss yesterday, I admit that I was less than enthusiastic.

Not sure about "even better" there. But two positives - until we see what Truss puts in their place.

Did they jump before they were pushed? Seems likely, unless someone knows better?
Not sure why Nadine Dorries resigned, she was offered the same job by Liz Truss, which she mentioned in her resignation letter. Anybody know?

TIA
Maylix

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Post by redsturgeon »

Maylix wrote:
UncleEbenezer wrote: Not sure about "even better" there. But two positives - until we see what Truss puts in their place.

Not sure why Nadine Dorries resigned, she was offered the same job by Liz Truss, which she mentioned in her resignation letter. Anybody know?

TIA
Maylix
Apparently wants to spend more time writing her novels. Funny, I imagined that being an MP was a full time job.

Of course Boris has been trying to write a book during the last two years, it seems that was why he couldn't find the time for those annoying COBRA meetings at the start of the pandemic.

John

MrFoolish
Lemon Quarter

Post by MrFoolish »

What does it say about Truss if she was prepared to keep Dorries in a job way beyond her abilities?

UncleEbenezer
Lemon Half

Post by UncleEbenezer »

MrFoolish wrote:What does it say about Truss if she was prepared to keep Dorries in a job way beyond her abilities?
Perhaps she should appoint her own predecessor to that role? Qui vanitatibus suis loquitur.

SalvorHardin
Lemon Quarter

Post by SalvorHardin »

Maylix wrote:Not sure why Nadine Dorries resigned, she was offered the same job by Liz Truss, which she mentioned in her resignation letter. Anybody know?

TIA
Maylix
Dorries will almost certainly be off to the House of Lords via Boris' resignation honours list.

Mike4
Lemon Half

Post by Mike4 »

SalvorHardin wrote:
Maylix wrote:Not sure why Nadine Dorries resigned, she was offered the same job by Liz Truss, which she mentioned in her resignation letter. Anybody know?

TIA
Maylix
Dorries will almost certainly be off to the House of Lords via Boris' resignation honours list.
Yes I thought this too. Her constant transparent fawning over him was frankly embarrassing and now he has gone, she wouldn't have much opportunity.

I was pleased to hear Boris describe himself a booster rocket re-entering to splash down in a quiet corner of an ocean somewhere (I think that's what he said). What I think really happens on re-entry is atmospheric friction burns them out then smouldering husk hits the water....

NotSure
Lemon Slice

Post by NotSure »

Mike4 wrote: I was pleased to hear Boris describe himself a booster rocket re-entering to splash down in a quiet corner of an ocean somewhere (I think that's what he said). What I think really happens on re-entry is atmospheric friction burns them out then smouldering husk hits the water....
:)

He also compared himself to Cincinnatus, a Roman statesman who left politics and 'returned to his plough'.

What he didn't mention (but obviously implied) was that Cincinnatus later returned as a dictator of Rome to crush the plebs, though he did then retire again.

From Wikipedia:
....Lucius Quinctius Cincinnatus (c. 519 – c. 430 BC) was a Roman patrician, statesman, and military leader of the early Roman Republic who became a legendary figure of Roman virtue—particularly civic virtue—by the time of the late Republic.

Cincinnatus was an opponent of the rights of the plebeians (the common citizens) who fell into poverty because of his son Caeso Quinctius's violent opposition to their desire for a written code of equally enforced laws. Despite his old age, he worked his own small farm until an invasion prompted his fellow citizens to call for his leadership. He came from his plough to assume complete control over the state but, upon achieving a swift victory in only 16 days,[1] relinquished his power and its perquisites and returned to his farm. His success and immediate resignation of his near-absolute authority with the end of this crisis (traditionally dated to 458 BC) has often been cited as an example of outstanding leadership, service to the greater good, civic virtue, humility, and modesty......

Mike4
Lemon Half

Post by Mike4 »

NotSure wrote:
Mike4 wrote: I was pleased to hear Boris describe himself a booster rocket re-entering to splash down in a quiet corner of an ocean somewhere (I think that's what he said). What I think really happens on re-entry is atmospheric friction burns them out then smouldering husk hits the water....
:)

He also compared himself to Cincinnatus, a Roman statesman who left politics and 'returned to his plough'.

What he didn't mention (but obviously implied) was that Cincinnatus later returned as a dictator of Rome to crush the plebs, though he did then retire again.

From Wikipedia:
....Lucius Quinctius Cincinnatus (c. 519 – c. 430 BC) was a Roman patrician, statesman, and military leader of the early Roman Republic who became a legendary figure of Roman virtue—particularly civic virtue—by the time of the late Republic.

Cincinnatus was an opponent of the rights of the plebeians (the common citizens) who fell into poverty because of his son Caeso Quinctius's violent opposition to their desire for a written code of equally enforced laws. Despite his old age, he worked his own small farm until an invasion prompted his fellow citizens to call for his leadership. He came from his plough to assume complete control over the state but, upon achieving a swift victory in only 16 days,[1] relinquished his power and its perquisites and returned to his farm. His success and immediate resignation of his near-absolute authority with the end of this crisis (traditionally dated to 458 BC) has often been cited as an example of outstanding leadership, service to the greater good, civic virtue, humility, and modesty......

Your ARE Natalie Haynes and I claim my five pounds.

:D

Mike4
Lemon Half

Post by Mike4 »

Leothebear wrote:..... rest easy. Ms Truss says she'll lower taxes, deal with energy costs and deal with long term energy requirements.

Well that is a load off my mind. Why didn't BJ think of these?

Well I for one am willing to wait and see.

Not for long though.

My gut feeling is she was the Boris Continuity candidate and she has learned from the master to say whatever the person in front of her wants to hear. Hence her 149 conflicting policy commitments made during the election campaign.

Basically she has offered us all the oldest cliché in the book of lower taxes and higher spending on public services and like idiots, the party members lapped it up.

terminal7
Lemon Quarter

Post by terminal7 »

Basically she has offered us all the oldest cliché in the book of lower taxes and higher spending on public services and like idiots, the party members lapped it up.
Idiots - how dare you Mike - it reminds me of the Pogues LP of yesteryear - Rum Sodomy & the Lash - 80,000 plus took their medicine and thought of the Queen.

T7

Beerpig
Lemon Slice

Post by Beerpig »

She'll be out within two years when the electorate 'deliver' Number 10 to Kier Starmer

pje16
Lemon Half

Post by pje16 »

Beerpig wrote:She'll be out within two years when the electorate 'deliver' Number 10 to Kier Starmer
Oh dear, 2 years til it really gets messed up
borrowing beyond belief, there will be a financial hole so deep it will reach Australia :o

Leothebear
Lemon Quarter

Post by Leothebear »

Snorvey wrote:Oh we'll borrow it with one hand and buy it back with the other. Same as before. Something like £500 billion was conjured up for the banks back in 2009, so the money can be made.... it's just a question of politics.

...and It's already happening with Italy with a new EU 'special' financial tool just for them. The difference is Italy has to dance to the Brussels tune.
Have we got any stuff we can sell?

dealtn
Lemon Half

Post by dealtn »

Snorvey wrote:Oh we'll borrow it with one hand and buy it back with the other. Same as before. Something like £500 billion was conjured up for the banks back in 2009, so the money can be made.... it's just a question of politics.

...and It's already happening with Italy with a new EU 'special' financial tool just for them. The difference is Italy has to dance to the Brussels tune.
No, it wasn't for the banks.

servodude
Lemon Half

Post by servodude »

dealtn wrote:

No, it wasn't for the banks.
For - one of those words with plenty of meanings
- variably off my head out could suggest purpose, intention, consequence, or a slew of other stuff

Can we really say it wasn't "for the banks"

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”