Scones

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
garfsuncle
Lemon Pip

Scones

Post by garfsuncle »

OK, so having (not really) solved the question of the correct pronunciation of “vermouth”, does anyone know for sure whether “scone” should rhyme with “stone” or “gone”? And what should be spread on one first, the jam or the cream?

servodude
Lemon Half

Re: Scones

Post by servodude »

garfsuncle wrote:OK, so having (not really) solved the question of the correct pronunciation of “vermouth”, does anyone know for sure whether “scone” should rhyme with “stone” or “gone”? And what should be spread on one first, the jam or the cream?
If you've not seen the "Scones" episode of Still Game the following link will contain spoilers: https://stillgame.fandom.com/wiki/Scones
suffice to say, the punchline wouldn't work unless it rhymed with "gone"

As to the second part - if you can afford both jam and cream - I'd have to take it in the Cornish fashion as I find trying to spread cream on jam just a little bit too peculiar a sensation

-sd

CliffEdge
Lemon Slice

Post by CliffEdge »

servodude wrote:
garfsuncle wrote:OK, so having (not really) solved the question of the correct pronunciation of “vermouth”, does anyone know for sure whether “scone” should rhyme with “stone” or “gone”? And what should be spread on one first, the jam or the cream?
If you've not seen the "Scones" episode of Still Game the following link will contain spoilers: https://stillgame.fandom.com/wiki/Scones

As to the second part - if you can afford both jam and cream - I'd have to take it in the Cornish fashion as I find trying to spread cream on jam just a little bit too peculiar a sensation

-sd
Cornwall is jam on first as their cream more watery than Devon's

servodude
Lemon Half

Post by servodude »

CliffEdge wrote:
servodude wrote: If you've not seen the "Scones" episode of Still Game the following link will contain spoilers: https://stillgame.fandom.com/wiki/Scones

-sd
Cornwall is jam on first as their cream more watery than Devon's
I know - and i also know I wrote it backwards! :roll:

There's nothing weird about putting cream on jam - it's the other way around that feels a bit off putting to me

chrissyr
2 Lemon pips

Post by chrissyr »

Don't you just put jam on one half and cream on the other. Then look around to see which one to put on top.

EverybodyKnows
2 Lemon pips

Post by EverybodyKnows »

Surely you spread the jam and dollop/spoon the cream - in that order? Spreading cream is uncivilised in my view.

Scone is pronounced “gone” unless it is the place in which case it is “spoon”.

marronier
Lemon Slice

Post by marronier »

Shouldn't "scone" rhyme with bone ; cone ; hone ; lone ; phone ; tone ; zone ? How many of us break a leg bon or eat an ice cream con when hom alon and the phon rings a familiar ton in the zon ?

servodude
Lemon Half

Post by servodude »

marronier wrote:Shouldn't "scone" rhyme with bone ; cone ; hone ; lone ; phone ; tone ; zone ? How many of us break a leg bon or eat an ice cream con when hom alon and the phon rings a familiar ton in the zon ?
Is that you Pru?

daveh
Lemon Quarter

Post by daveh »

it rhymes with gone - I'm from yorkshire.

gryffron
Lemon Quarter

Post by gryffron »

IME: As a general rule if there is one...
Southern England has long vowel sounds. graARss, skO-On.
Northern England has short vowel sounds. GRaSS, SKoN.

Gryff

Arborbridge
Lemon Half

Post by Arborbridge »

I like to say scon owing to my northern upbringing - but I usually say scone as in stone because I'm living in the south.

As for spreading: it's cream on first because that is more solid than the jam. I also heard from an elderly Cornish lady that the difference between Devon and Cornwall in respect of scones is a myth. They just do what seems most practical. Just some marketing joke.

Arb.

didds
Lemon Quarter

Post by didds »

"Bun"

CliffEdge
Lemon Slice

Post by CliffEdge »

Arborbridge wrote:
I like to say scon owing to my northern upbringing - but I usually say scone as in stone because I'm living in the south.

As for spreading: it's cream on first because that is more solid than the jam. I also heard from an elderly Cornish lady that the difference between Devon and Cornwall in respect of scones is a myth. They just do what seems most practical. Just some marketing joke.

Arb.
Heresy. The Cornish lost the cream wars in 1687. The Royal Navy had to intervene. The battle of Mousehole is also one of the earliest recorded sightings of scone shaped uaps flying about.

Urbandreamer
Lemon Quarter

Post by Urbandreamer »

gryffron wrote:IME: As a general rule if there is one...

Gryff
Ah the great vowel shift.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Vowel_Shift

I'd argue that in this case, either pronunciation of scone is right.

Boots
2 Lemon pips

Post by Boots »

Personally I pronounce scone with a long O, but it really doesn't bother me.

Now, at the risk of upsetting the good folks of both Devon and Cornwall, I don't think a simple "this first, then that" rule works. I think you have to assess the shear strength of both the jam and the cream. The stiffer component is then spread first, followed by the less stiff.

That, to quote Monty Python, is my theory, and it belongs to me.

Arborbridge
Lemon Half

Post by Arborbridge »

Urbandreamer wrote:
gryffron wrote:IME: As a general rule if there is one...

Gryff
Ah the great vowel shift.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Vowel_Shift

I'd argue that in this case, either pronunciation of scone is right.
I never did quite understand the great vowel shift, despite Bill Bryson going into great detail.

Mike88
Lemon Slice

Post by Mike88 »

garfsuncle wrote: And what should be spread on one first, the jam or the cream?
That is a regular question on BBC Spotlight when it's a light news day.

Loup321
Lemon Slice

Post by Loup321 »

I thought the Queen pronounced it to rhyme with "gone." I say whatever everyone around me says, but probably more to rhyme with gone than bone.

I once did a scientific taste test. I put half the pot of jam on one half of the scone, then added half the pot of cream. Then I put the rest of the cream on the other half of the scone, and finally added the rest of the jam. They looked completely different, but they tasted the same. I know that how something looks affects how you perceive it tastes, but they both looked incredibly yummy and messy, so I ate them (and enjoyed them). Knowing that it doesn't matter is so liberating!

scotview
Lemon Quarter

Post by scotview »

The ONLY thingy that matters is, does a scone have fruit or is it plain.

And only I, me alone, know the answer.

jfgw
Lemon Quarter

Post by jfgw »

If the jam is thicker than the cream, put the jam on first.

If the cream is thicker than the jam, put the cream on first.

Simple!

Julian F. G. W.

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”