No Boris

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
WrenChasen
2 Lemon pips

No Boris

Post by WrenChasen »

So he's going, resignation later today by all accounts.

Politics aside, I confess to a soft spot for Boris; he's no dummy and he does have a certain charisma, which probably charmed the electorate in the first place. PMQ won't be the same without him.

servodude
Lemon Half

Re: No Boris

Post by servodude »

WrenChasen wrote:So he's going, resignation later today by all accounts.

Politics aside, I confess to a soft spot for Boris; he's no dummy and he does have a certain charisma, which probably charmed the electorate in the first place. PMQ won't be the same without him.
I agree.
Bumbling popular chap that appeals to the everyman.
Bit like Ant or Dec.. who probably would have done about as well (but with cheaper wallpaper?!)

bluedonkey
Lemon Quarter

Post by bluedonkey »

Boris Johnson is totally unsuited to be near any position of trust or responsibility.

servodude
Lemon Half

Post by servodude »

bluedonkey wrote:Boris Johnson is totally unsuited to be near any position of trust or responsibility.
Did you just copy that from his school report card?
:)

CliffEdge
Lemon Slice

Post by CliffEdge »

He certainly appeals to the ladies.

didds
Lemon Quarter

Post by didds »

CliffEdge wrote:

He certainly appeals to the ladies.
Not one single female I know would agree, based on general comments and feedback that Ive seen/heard.

Rhyd6
Lemon Quarter

Post by Rhyd6 »

Overheard in a pub on Anglesey yesterday evening - "Well at least Boris isn't boring, when you look at the other buggers you can't help but think that there are more interesting corpses in the cemetery" - all said in a strong Lancashire accent.
I must admit I tend to agree.

R6

Hallucigenia
Lemon Quarter

Post by Hallucigenia »

Rhyd6 wrote:Overheard in a pub on Anglesey yesterday evening - "Well at least Boris isn't boring, when you look at the other buggers you can't help but think that there are more interesting corpses in the cemetery" - all said in a strong Lancashire accent.
I must admit I tend to agree.

R6
I get so angry with that kind of attitude, it's like saying "well at least Johnson is really good at baking cakes". It's irrelevant. The only thing that matters for someone entrusted with the PMship is "how good are they at running the country?" Are they good with detail, at analysing complicated situations, reading the research on what works?

Running the country is not a branch of the sodding entertainment industry, and the people who think it is deserve to have their vote replaced with using Great British Bakeoff to determine the PM for the year.

Rhyd6
Lemon Quarter

Post by Rhyd6 »

Well, the great thing about a democracy is that everyone can have an opinion and whilst we may all disagree with it, at the moment they're free to comment. I do agree that Boris isn't boring and personally I've found him a great disappointment. He seemed to make a decent fist of it when he was mayor of London.
Be thankful that you don't have the third rate mob we have here in Wales.

R6

GrahamPlatt
Lemon Quarter

Post by GrahamPlatt »

Rhyd6 wrote:Well, the great thing about a democracy is that everyone can have an opinion and whilst we may all disagree with it, at the moment they're free to comment. I do agree that Boris isn't boring and personally I've found him a great disappointment. He seemed to make a decent fist of it when he was mayor of London.

R6
Funny isn’t it that things appear better from a distance. I happen to think Mark Drakeford is one of the best of politicians. I also admire Ian Blackford.

Redmires
Lemon Slice

Post by Redmires »

After a few years of Trump, Johnson & Putin, give me boring any day.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Post by Dod101 »

Rhyd6 wrote:Well, the great thing about a democracy is that everyone can have an opinion and whilst we may all disagree with it, at the moment they're free to comment. I do agree that Boris isn't boring and personally I've found him a great disappointment. He seemed to make a decent fist of it when he was mayor of London.

R6
Or what must be the fourth rate lot we have in Scotland. Nicola?

Dod

Dod101
The full Lemon

Post by Dod101 »

GrahamPlatt wrote:

R6
Funny isn’t it that things appear better from a distance. I happen to think Mark Drakeford is one of the best of politicians. I also admire Ian Blackford.
You admire Blackford? Clearly you have lost your judgement.

Dod

servodude
Lemon Half

Post by servodude »

Dod101 wrote:
GrahamPlatt wrote: Funny isn’t it that things appear better from a distance. I happen to think Mark Drakeford is one of the best of politicians. I also admire Ian Blackford.
You admire Blackford? Clearly you have lost your judgement.

Dod
Some of the stuff I've seen from Blackford looks good on paper

But if you watch him deliver it.. my gosh it's like that "home! the english are too many!" performance by an extra in Braveheart who's consciously trying to wrangle their natural vowels in to submission in a way that detracts from hearing what the actual words are.
Like playing a record at the wrong speed; you can work out what it is but it can be hard going.

Not as bad as Neil Oliver though

AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Post by AsleepInYorkshire »

Boris Johnson.

One person, two people.

I've heard many say that he doesn't abide by the rules. Yet we have a nation of car drivers that speed. And who amongst us can say we never enjoyed the odd lock in or two? We've run red lights daily. We've parked in disabled parking bays. We've left work early on a Friday when the boss isn't in. We've lied about our incomes so we could get a larger mortgage. We've manipulated information on our CV's.

Brexit - done. Covid - sorted. Ukraine - and I am proud to say Boris has shown what we all believe in our Great British Isles, we support Ukraine all the way. Boris has increased the armed forces budget.

The King is dead. I'm betting on Ben Wallace.

AiY(D)

Dod101
The full Lemon

Post by Dod101 »

AsleepInYorkshire wrote:Boris Johnson.

One person, two people.

I've heard many say that he doesn't abide by the rules. Yet we have a nation of car drivers that speed. And who amongst us can say we never enjoyed the odd lock in or two? We've run red lights daily. We've parked in disabled parking bays. We've left work early on a Friday when the boss isn't in. We've lied about our incomes so we could get a larger mortgage. We've manipulated information on our CV's.

Brexit - done. Covid - sorted. Ukraine - and I am proud to say Boris has shown what we all believe in our Great British Isles, we support Ukraine all the way. Boris has increased the armed forces budget.

The King is dead. I'm betting on Ben Wallace.

AiY(D)
Bloody hell, are you kidding? Your first para is fine but??

Dod

UncleEbenezer
Lemon Half

Post by UncleEbenezer »

Rhyd6 wrote:He seemed to make a decent fist of it when he was mayor of London.
R6
As did Ken Livingstone. Would you want him as Prime Minister?

London Mayor seems to be an ideal post for a dangerous loony to shine. The present incumbent looks prosaic compared to his predecessors.

servodude
Lemon Half

Post by servodude »

AsleepInYorkshire wrote: I've heard many say that he doesn't abide by the rules. Yet we have a nation of car drivers that speed. And who amongst us can say we never enjoyed the odd lock in or two? We've run red lights daily. We've parked in disabled parking bays. We've left work early on a Friday when the boss isn't in. We've lied about our incomes so we could get a larger mortgage. We've manipulated information on our CV's.
I put it to you that any sane rational person would, when presented with that paragraph, agree; at least with the general concept (moved a <digression> south)

If they didnt we'd probably consider them a bit disingenuous, untrustworthy and such?

I will suggest thought that some might go further in their response:
"No one told me I was meant to be honest on my CV!"
"How was I meant to know it was a lock in?"
"Raise my own kids? What a bizarre suggestion"

those? they're narcissistic sociopaths and we indulge them at our peril

-sd

<digession>
I wouldn't lie about income or "manipulate" a CV but I gather it's not that unusual - having interviewed more than my fair share of "oh that?!.... well"s
Lock-ins though?! - best thing the English every gave humanity
I was gutted on my last trip to Sheffield to discover my two regular lock-ins (the Heavygate Inn and the Springfield Tavern) had closed (actually the Heavygate was more of a lock out; you'd get served through a hatch )
</digession>

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Post by mc2fool »

UncleEbenezer wrote:
Rhyd6 wrote:He seemed to make a decent fist of it when he was mayor of London.
R6
As did Ken Livingstone. Would you want him as Prime Minister?

London Mayor seems to be an ideal post for a dangerous loony to shine.
Yes, interesting that; both did a lot better than I'd feared. Maybe there's something about the role that tempers the loonier instincts.

Of course, Mayor of London is a more limited position than PM, but I think the big difference between Johnson's tenure in the two roles was that as Mayor he enlisted and surrounded himself with a competent team, leaving himself largely to do what he's best at, being an ebullient cheer leader ...

Redmires
Lemon Slice

Post by Redmires »

AsleepInYorkshire wrote:Boris Johnson.

AiY(D)
I keep hearing this. In what way was Brexit 'done' Would that be done, sorted, completed ? Try explaining it to the people of Northern Ireland. And is it 'done' in the same way that 40 hospitals have been done ?

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”