No More Money for BBC from Me

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
swill453
Lemon Half

Re: No More Money for BBC from Me

Post by swill453 »

Dod101 wrote:Thank for clarifying that. Is that because the ones you quote are not 'public broadcasters?'
Not really. BBC iPlayer is a special case. But if you use, say, the ITV app purely to watch its stored content then you don't need a licence, but if you watch live TV with it then you do.

When Amazon Prime showed live sport, watching it needed a licence. But watching movies etc with it doesn't.

Scott.

didds
Lemon Quarter

Post by didds »

Rhyd6 wrote:The only programme we've ever watched live was University Challenge, we record anything else we fancy and watch it when the weather means we can't be out and about or we're not :) :) out meeting friends etc. I must admit I know nothing about apps and what does and doesn't require a licence but OH assures me that everything is run through the computer and doesn't require a licence so I trust that he knows what he's talking about.

R6
He's potentially wrong - see Scott's posts

Dod101
The full Lemon

Post by Dod101 »

didds wrote:
Rhyd6 wrote:The only programme we've ever watched live was University Challenge, we record anything else we fancy and watch it when the weather means we can't be out and about or we're not :) :) out meeting friends etc. I must admit I know nothing about apps and what does and doesn't require a licence but OH assures me that everything is run through the computer and doesn't require a licence so I trust that he knows what he's talking about.

R6
He's potentially wrong - see Scott's posts
I take the simplistic view. I have a television which can pick up live broadcasts; I therefore pay the licence fee.

Dod

swill453
Lemon Half

Post by swill453 »

Dod101 wrote:I take the simplistic view. I have a television which can pick up live broadcasts; I therefore pay the licence fee.
That's fair enough, the licence will allow you to switch it on and watch them :D

However you could use the same television for other purposes that didn't need a licence.

Scott.

didds
Lemon Quarter

Post by didds »

servodude wrote:[

It's a weird quirk of the BBC, but even if you are only watching their stuff online, digitally streamed from their wesite you have to tell them that you have a license.

So I think you are meant to have one, but they ask politely and ticking the yes box seems sufficient to keep them happy.

(Incidentally I think that this points out a bit of a hole when relying on robots to be honest when presented with an "I am not a robot" tick box :shock: )

But I suspect its grist to the mill if one was to ever end up in court over it - as to have watched it via such means means somebody had to have said "yes" to that question.

though of course that may have been true when that question was answered, and the answer cached/cookied ...

scotview
Lemon Quarter

Post by scotview »

didds wrote:
servodude wrote: (Incidentally I think that this points out a bit of a hole when relying on robots to be honest when presented with an "I am not a robot" tick box :shock: )
But I suspect its grist to the mill if one was to ever end up in court over it - as to have watched it via such means means somebody had to have said "yes" to that question.

though of course that may have been true when that question was answered, and the answer cached/cookied ...
Aye, like I said a bit Heath Robinson.
Still, a nice way for the hoards of BBC folkies to secure the income stream for the salaries/pensions.
Regards, V. Meldrew.
Last edited by scotview on August 23rd, 2022, 1:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

didds
Lemon Quarter

Post by didds »

If you watch or record shows as they're being shown on telly in the UK ('live TV'), you need to be covered by a TV licence.
I was also told by TVL several years ago when I asked them that this would also be the case (ie license needed) if you were watching a "live" program not shown on TV in the UK but via the web from an overseas channel online - my example I used was a Pakistan cricket match shown on Pakistani TV and watched via a stream even thjough that wasnt available normally in the UK.

(I did rather think this was a guess by the person I was chatting to as it was so "left field" and they probably didnt know so said "you do" to cover themselves... but Ive only had their response on that point!)

didds

didds
Lemon Quarter

Post by didds »

Dod101 wrote:[

Thank for clarifying that. Is that because the ones you quote are not 'public broadcasters?'

Dod

No - cos they broadcast to the public, as does eg Sky news and Sky 1 etc to subscribers.

Its because it is "as live", not stored.

The "stored" content exception is BBC Iplayer. For now.

didds

didds
Lemon Quarter

Post by didds »

Dod101 wrote:
I take the simplistic view. I have a television which can pick up live broadcasts; I therefore pay the licence fee.

Dod

If you had no TV at all, but a smartphone you also have a device capable of receiving live broadcasts. You wouldn't need a TV licence merely because you own it.

QED you don't need a license merely because you have a TV capable of receiving broadcasts. Only if you actually watch or record as live broadcasts.

Of course your approach covers you under all eventualities :-)

swill453
Lemon Half

Post by swill453 »

didds wrote:The "stored" content exception is BBC Iplayer. For now.
I think there's more chance of the licence being abolished than its scope expanded.

Scott.

Gerry557
Lemon Quarter

Post by Gerry557 »

Dod101 wrote:
didds wrote: He's potentially wrong - see Scott's posts

Dod
I'm the same but don't have a TV licence yet because my use does not require it. I'm considering getting one next month and might watch some BBC or use the catch up services.

I also have a crowbar and a balaclava but I'm not a robber. I also note that when you try and cancel your TV licence they have too approve it. Most of the examples of proof don't seem to include just wanting to cancel because I don't want to use it even if I get their required solicitors letter.

Still it might be useful to know a solicitor in case ex BBC workers join the police and have the same attitude with balaclavas.

Midsmartin
Lemon Slice

Post by Midsmartin »

I think the BBC is, sadly, in a self-fulfilling downwards spiral.

Where they really ought to excel is in high quality news, current affairs & documentaries. They should be doing in depth analysis & investigations. Instead, in an effort to keep politicians happy they have been cutting budgets for these operations, and dropping anything that might upset the government too much. News coverage is increasingly lightweight and tabloidy.
Intelligent science programming on TV is almost extinct. For years they countered actual science on climate change with the "balance" of the scientifically illiterate. Vapid opinions are as important as actual science.

Radio 4 still has some highlights. "More or less" often shows up the poor reporting elsewhere on all channels including the BBC. Radio 4 is still permittted to do intelligent science - though for how long I wonder, as the pressure to dumb down by appealing to the masses seems to be increasing. Heaven forbid we should be elitest by assuming our audience has GCSEs.

didds
Lemon Quarter

Post by didds »

Gerry557 wrote:[I also note that when you try and cancel your TV licence they have too approve it
???

https://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if- ... funds-top7

When should I cancel my TV Licence?
I no longer watch or record TV live on any channel or service, or download or watch BBC programmes on BBC iPlayer
You can cancel your licence and may be eligible for a refund if, before your licence expires, you won't be:

watching or recording any programmes as they’re being shown on TV, on any channel, or
watching or streaming programmes live on an online TV service (such as ITV Hub, All 4, YouTube, Amazon Prime Video, Now TV, Sky Go, etc.), or
downloading or watching any BBC programmes on BBC iPlayer.
This applies to any device or provider you use, including:

TV sets (including smart TVs)
DVD, Blu-ray and VHS recorders
Laptops and desktop computers
Tablets, mobile phones and other portable devices
Digital boxes or PVRs (such as Sky, Virgin Media or BT TV)
Games consoles
Media streaming devices (such as Amazon Fire TV, Apple TV, Chromecast, Roku and Now TV)
Freeview, Freesat or YouView

Cancel your TV Licence. <<<option https://forms.tvlicensing.co.uk/Viewer? ... equest.wdf
Apply for a refund. <<<option https://forms.tvlicensing.co.uk/Viewer? ... equest.wdf

seems simple enough?

didds

Arborbridge
Lemon Half

Post by Arborbridge »

didds wrote:
Arborbridge wrote:I Why does everyone say "Uni" these days?

Arb.
"These days" ?

Its was common parlance in the 1970s.

Unless of course the 1970s (50 years ago) counts as "these days" :-)

didds
Well, AFAIK I never heard "Uni" bandied about in the 70's - but then memory is a frail thing.

Arb.

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Post by stevensfo »

Arborbridge wrote:
didds wrote: "These days" ?

Its was common parlance in the 1970s.

Unless of course the 1970s (50 years ago) counts as "these days" :-)

didds
Well, AFAIK I never heard "Uni" bandied about in the 70's - but then memory is a frail thing.

Arb.
For what it's worth, I also say 'uni' these days just because it's a short version that we all prefer, but I cannot ever remember it being used more than about 10 years ago.

Everybody used to say "So you're at university?"...."Which university?" ...etc.

I have a very vague recollection of when I started to use 'uni' and it definitely wasn't more than 10 years ago.

Steve

Gerry557
Lemon Quarter

Post by Gerry557 »

didds wrote:
Gerry557 wrote:[I also note that when you try and cancel your TV licence they have too approve it
???

https://www.tvlicensing.co.uk/check-if- ... funds-top7

Cancel your TV Licence. <<<option https://forms.tvlicensing.co.uk/Viewer? ... equest.wdf
Apply for a refund. <<<option https://forms.tvlicensing.co.uk/Viewer? ... equest.wdf

seems simple enough?

didds
On paper yes, in actual fact it wasnt at all.

If you think it's so simple I could suggest that you cancel and then apply for a new one. The latter part is simple. You could report your experience here. In fact record it on YouTube and we will be able to gauge by how much hair you have left. :lol:

didds
Lemon Quarter

Post by didds »

I don't need to though.

and if i did, id only get a refund for any whole quarters left, then have to repurchase from today, thus losing money.

stewamax
Lemon Quarter

Post by stewamax »

stevensfo wrote:For what it's worth, I also say 'uni' these days just because it's a short version that we all prefer, but I cannot ever remember it being used more than about 10 years ago. Everybody used to say "So you're at university?"...."Which university?" ...etc.
I have a very vague recollection of when I started to use 'uni' and it definitely wasn't more than 10 years ago.
<Sir Hunphrey>
Hrrumph...
50 years ago you merely named your college and only added 'Oxford' or 'Cambridge' when there was a clash (e.g. Trinity or Magdalene)
</Sir Humphrey>

Rhyd6
Lemon Quarter

Post by Rhyd6 »

I seem to remember the "in" word being 'varsity when I was young, nowadays my grandchildren always refer to it as 'uni.

R6

kempiejon
Lemon Quarter

Post by kempiejon »

I got my first job in a university in 1996 and I think it was uni then. Perhaps it came over with the Neighbours soap in the 80s. Australian slang does seem to often shorten words.

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”