Prosecuted for helping the police?

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
XFool
The full Lemon

Re: Prosecuted for helping the police?

Post by XFool »

AF62 wrote:
doolally wrote: An 810????
Should you be driving? ;)
In the days before satnavs and ‘someone else’ was navigating then it wasn’t unknown to do far far many more laps of a roundabout than an 810 before a decision was made - and not always a decision by the (supposed) navigator.
This is slowly edging towards 'That Thread' on the TomTom forum...

:lol:

scotia
Lemon Quarter

Post by scotia »

Leothebear wrote:
AF62 wrote: In the days before satnavs and ‘someone else’ was navigating then it wasn’t unknown to do far far many more laps of a roundabout than an 810 before a decision was made - and not always a decision by the (supposed) navigator.
I have no idea who "Someone else" is. Who is she?
Do I detect a touch of sexism? Why not "he"? :)

pje16
Lemon Half

Post by pje16 »

scotia wrote: I have no idea who "Someone else" is. Who is she?
Do I detect a touch of sexism? Why not "he"? :)[/quote]
Maybe but who has ever heard the phrase
“He who must be obeyed”
If only...... :lol:

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Post by DrFfybes »

Leothebear wrote: The solution is a clear sign saying "USE BOTH LANES - MERGE IN TURN".
The problem is people still ignore them - even if they are a mile or so before the merge point. One solution would be to merge the inside lane into the offside one, but that isn't done (not sure it is actually permitted) because on theory it would mean poor little HGVs having to squeeze in with the cars, despite the driver being able to see out of the side window to check.

We had a discussion about this with a politician, who said the solution was simply to close the outside lane further back. When asked to specify how much further he replied "the end of the queue", and then failed completely to grasp or accept that the result would simply be to move the queue back to the new merge point :(

swill453
Lemon Half

Post by swill453 »

In response to a FOI request the Met Police reported that in the 10 months to end October they had issued 10,667 NIPs (Notice of Intended Prosecution) for offences reported by third parties (e.g. with video/cam footage).

https://twitter.com/Sammyscarf/status/1 ... 2997726209

Scott.

JohnB
Lemon Quarter

Post by JohnB »

Its not difficult to drive on the principle "aim to make good progress safely without impeding other road users". This means keeping left in light traffic to allow each lane to overtake the next, without zealously changing lanes for too short a period. In heavy traffic when all lanes are going slower than they would like, don't constantly switch lanes, and if a gap builds up in front of you, accept that you need to increase speed to maintain an overtake until a gap appears on the left you can pull into.

If a lane is ending, accept that you don't have a right to overtake once queues start, if in a closing lane drive to keep in that position until the lane is actually going to close when you should have the moral authority to zipper with the cars in the next lane.

Too few drivers drive with proper consideration of others.

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Post by DrFfybes »

JohnB wrote: If a lane is ending, accept that you don't have a right to overtake once queues start,
#Sigh.
OK, what if everyone decided to stay in the closing lane and the continuing lane was free? Would you have the right to use that one?

As I said years ago, if we wanted to close the outside lane earlier, we would. We had plenty of cones.

swill453
Lemon Half

Post by swill453 »

It seems more police forces are relying on 3rd party video submissions for traffic offence prosecutions.

From Detective Chief Superintendent Andy Cox of Lincolnshire Police:
We need the public's support as 'Active Citizens' using dash cam or headcam to report road crimes they witness
I believe this 24/7, 365 support in which the public can be anywhere and everywhere will act as a major deterrent to drivers who would otherwise be dangerous but now know their crimes can be captured by fellow citizens.
I want to put on record my sincere gratitude to every single person who took the time to submit footage. This life-saving work provides a real service to all road users.
https://road.cc/content/feature/what-do ... era-298023

Scott.

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”