Truss

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
scotia
Lemon Quarter

Re: Truss

Post by scotia »

terminal7 wrote:Mordaunt says "the PM is not under a desk" - apparently she has something very import to do - all this while her new CotE is about to explain why the economy has tanked since the PM took over. Way beyond fiction - more fantasy.

T7
Is it possible she is on her way to Aberdeen, where Charlie is today? I gather he is meeting refugees - could he add another one?

terminal7
Lemon Quarter

Post by terminal7 »

Well Truss finally shows. I suspect we will be told that Ukrainian matters held her up (stop laughing at the back I did not say Ugandan matters).

T7

Dod101
The full Lemon

Post by Dod101 »

terminal7 wrote:Well Truss finally shows. I suspect we will be told that Ukrainian matters held her up (stop laughing at the back I did not say Ugandan matters).

T7
It does not really seem that we will get anything from her. She seems to have no sense of shame? How she can come to the House, sit there and listen to all her decisions being reversed?

Dod

scotview
Lemon Quarter

Post by scotview »

Do you think she chose Hunt ?

terminal7
Lemon Quarter

Post by terminal7 »

scotview wrote:Do you think she chose Hunt ?
It has been reported that Javid was asked several days before KK hit the dust but he had three conditions that Truss would not accept. The number of MPs suitable for the job - in normal circumstances - are very few. In current circumstances the Conservative gene pool is even more deficient partially because after 12 years in government the attrition rate will always be high. Hunt had the benefit of 3 years out of frontline politics - so many of us will have forgotten his lack lustre ministerial career. Listening to him today, you can hear a very skilled speaker at the despatch even with his voice going. He clearly has outmanoeuvred Truss and from being last in the Con MPs vote for Johnson's replacements has bounded up the field of prospective replacement to Truss.

T7
Last edited by terminal7 on October 17th, 2022, 5:49 pm, edited 2 times in total.

WrenChasen
2 Lemon pips

Post by WrenChasen »

So Truss made a brief appearance, maintained her trademark Mona Lisa smile throughout, then disappeared.

Does anyone know why she was there?

1nvest
Lemon Quarter

Post by 1nvest »

WrenChasen wrote:So Truss made a brief appearance, maintained her trademark Mona Lisa smile throughout, then disappeared.

I'd guess simply to show her support for the Tories complete U turn on all of her policies.

The shame is the entire Tory party, who should have stepped down (called a GE), they're making a total shambolic global laughing stock of the UK, at our expense.

Eboli
Lemon Slice

Post by Eboli »

Per WrenChasen:
So Truss made a brief appearance, maintained her trademark Mona Lisa smile throughout, then disappeared.

I suspect as part of the deal forced on her by the current puppet masters, which appear to be Sunak and Mordaunt. Traitors both.

Eb.

1nvest
Lemon Quarter

Post by 1nvest »

Eboli wrote:Per WrenChasen:

I suspect as part of the deal forced on her by the current puppet masters, which appear to be Sunak and Mordaunt. Traitors both.

Eb.
Traitors all. 5 month to appoint another PM, when a GE should have been called straight away after they stabbed BJ in the back and tore up his manifesto.

No matter, time cures. Lab are already on a projected 400+ seats come the next GE and the longer the Tories prolong the harder they'll get hit. Sit back with the popcorn and enjoy the comedy, you are after all paying a very high price for the Parliament channel.

terminal7
Lemon Quarter

Post by terminal7 »

I remember Brenda Lee in Kingston upon Thames circa 1960 singing Truss' new theme song that takes over from Moving on Down

I'm sorry, so sorry
That I was such a fool
I didn't know
The markets could be so cruel
Oh, oh, oh, oh, oh, oh yes

They tell me mistakes
Are part of being young
But that don't right
The wrong that's been done

(I'm sorry) I'm sorry
(So sorry) So sorry
Please accept my apology
But unorthodoxy is blind
And I was too blind to see
Oh, oh, oh, oh, oh, oh, oh yes

They tell me mistakes
Are part of being young
But that don't right
The wrong that's been done
Oh, oh, oh, oh, oh, oh, yes

(Sorry)

T7

Mike4
Lemon Half

Post by Mike4 »

WrenChasen wrote:
Beerpig wrote: Really doesn't matter who the Tories put up - the party has had it at the next election and it seems to me no wipe out would be more deserved.
Agreed, but I'm not sure there's any current politician up to the job, and much as I disliked Boris for his ability to dissemble, I do think the Conservatives have brought this situation on themselves (and us) by getting rid of him.

And I don't think Truss has done herself any favours by bailing out of this afternoon's debate, whatever her excuse. She needs to resign PDQ.
I disagree. The Conservatives brought this situation upon themselves by appointing Boris, and everything flowed from that grievous mistake.

dubre
2 Lemon pips

Post by dubre »

Without Boris the torys would not have won the election. all these problems would be in the lap of another party!

terminal7
Lemon Quarter

Post by terminal7 »

dubre wrote:Without Boris the torys would not have won the election. all these problems would be in the lap of another party!
Against Corbyn, Gary Glitter would have won in 2019.

T7

Adamski
Lemon Slice

Post by Adamski »

terminal7 wrote:Against Corbyn, Gary Glitter would have won in 2019.
Agree totally. To win a GE under FPTP need middle England cause where most population is. England, excl city centres, is traditional and Conservative. They'd vote for a Blair or Starmer but no way a far left candidate.

pje16
Lemon Half

Post by pje16 »

terminal7 wrote:
dubre wrote:Without Boris the torys would not have won the election. all these problems would be in the lap of another party!
Against Corbyn, Gary Glitter would have won in 2019.

T7
and would have said “I'm the leader... etc” :lol:
before we knew what we do now

doolally
Lemon Slice

Post by doolally »

Apparently a yougov poll shows "just 10% of britons now view Truss favourably"
I'm astonished it's so high
doolally

chrissyr
2 Lemon pips

Post by chrissyr »

Does 'with pity' count as favourable?

Hallucigenia
Lemon Quarter

Post by Hallucigenia »

doolally wrote:Apparently a yougov poll shows "just 10% of britons now view Truss favourably"
I'm astonished it's so high
doolally
The usual way of expressing it is as net approval, which at -70 is the worst YouGov have ever seen in 20+ years of polling. For comparison, Johnson hit -53 in July 2020 and Corbyn hit -55 in June 2019. And Prince Andrew is currently on -64.

Keir Starmer: -5 (down 7 from 11-12 Oct)
Rishi Sunak: -21 (up 14 from 24-25 Aug)
Boris Johnson: -36 (up 4 from 8-9 Aug)
Jeremy Hunt: -41 (up 7 from 13-14 Jul)
Liz Truss: -70 (down 14 from 11-13 Oct)

dubre
2 Lemon pips

Post by dubre »

I consider that Truss is the wrong target for all this criticism. It is the parliamentary conservative party that has made a complete ass of itself.

Arborbridge
Lemon Half

Post by Arborbridge »

dubre wrote:I consider that Truss is the wrong target for all this criticism. It is the parliamentary conservative party that has made a complete ass of itself.
By party, I assume you mean the "lay" members in particular? Or perhaps you meant the parliamentary party for asking them to vote?

Arb.

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”