The Running Commentary of Cutting & Fitting Skirting Board

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
Watis
Lemon Quarter

Re: The Running Commentary of Cutting & Fitting Skirting Board

Post by Watis »

BullDog wrote:
Watis wrote: Looking at my hinges, it would appear that simply turning them upside-down would switch their handedness from left to right, or vice-versa.

Or have I missed something?

Watis
If they're rising hinges that won't work?
A fair point!

But, am I right with regards to ordinary hinges?

Watis

Urbandreamer
Lemon Quarter

Post by Urbandreamer »

Watis wrote:If they're rising hinges that won't work?
A fair point!

Watis[/quote]

As right as my wife who asked me to buy "standard" size selotape.

An "ordinary" hinge is what you mean by ordinary.
If you look you will find more types of hinge than you are likely to find widths of selotape. Which width, or hinge is "standard" or "ordinary" depends upon your viewpoint.

Next time you visit your kitchen, open every door. Look at the hinges. The most common WON'T be of the type that you are describing as "ordinary", though those on the door to the room might be.

Ps Lift off hinges are also handed.
https://www.ironmongerydirect.co.uk/pro ... ted-990168

Mike4
Lemon Half

Post by Mike4 »

Watis wrote: A fair point!

Watis

Not necessarily. With the better quality 'ordinary' butt hinges, the hinge pins can be lifted out to un-hang a door without disturbing the hinge fixing screws. This may or my not make them 'handed'. I think it does as the screw holes are not always symmetrical.

Butt Im not sure...

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Post by stevensfo »

Urbandreamer wrote:
Watis wrote:If they're rising hinges that won't work?
A fair point!

Watis
As right as my wife who asked me to buy "standard" size selotape.

An "ordinary" hinge is what you mean by ordinary.
If you look you will find more types of hinge than you are likely to find widths of selotape. Which width, or hinge is "standard" or "ordinary" depends upon your viewpoint.

Next time you visit your kitchen, open every door. Look at the hinges. The most common WON'T be of the type that you are describing as "ordinary", though those on the door to the room might be.

Ps Lift off hinges are also handed.
https://www.ironmongerydirect.co.uk/pro ... ted-990168[/quote]

Not just standard size sellotape either. The type and quality seems to vary as much as hinges. I came across a sort of almost opaque, cloudy type of sellotape that was totally useless. Then, a different, usually wider tape that, as soon as you use it, you know it's the real thing!

At a tangent, I always assumed that door handles were all very similar until the handle on our front door broke last year. I was amazed at the complexity of the insides and it took me weeks to find someone who could tell me where I could buy a replacement.

Wouldn't it be nice in 2023 AD if we so called 'intelligent' humans could finally sit down and agree on some basic rules for all these little things that make DIY such a stressful experience? 8-)

jfgw
Lemon Quarter

Post by jfgw »

Watis wrote:Looking at my hinges, it would appear that simply turning them upside-down would switch their handedness from left to right, or vice-versa.

Or have I missed something?
Or keep them the same way up?

I have seen a few opinions that the outer knuckles should be on the frame, e.g., if the hinge has five knuckles, the side with three knuckles goes on the frame and the side with two knuckles goes on the door. However, as far as I can work out, a very fat person swinging on a door that is open 90°is actually more likely to bend the hinge if it is fitted this way. In practice, I have never seen a hinge fail because of which way around it was fitted. I normally fit them so that the maker's stamp is the right way up (where applicable).

Obviously, some types of hinges are handed. Lift-off hinges have to be fitted the right way up otherwise you need to fit wheels to the bottom of the door so that it doesn't rub against the carpet.

Hinges come in standard sizes (3", 4"...) but the thicknesses vary... and so do the screw holes. The old holes can be drilled out and filled by gluing in a wooden plug cut with a plug cutter.

Back to skirting board: If you have to screw your natural wood skirting to the wall, counterbore the hole and use PVA to glue in a plug cut out of an offcut with a plug cutter. Level off the plug with a chisel and, while the glue is still wet, rub down with abrasive paper. the plug should not be readily visible afterwards.

Julian F. G. W.

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”