Turnip Recipes

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
kempiejon
Lemon Quarter

Re: Turnip Recipes

Post by kempiejon »

Romaine calm.

UncleEbenezer
Lemon Half

Post by UncleEbenezer »

kempiejon wrote:I've just returned from the supermarket.
Remind us where you are?

This week I've looked for tomatoes in every available supermarket (Co-op, Morrisons, Lidl, Tesco), and found absolutely none :(

On the other hand, our local greengrocer has no shortage. Today I paid £4.50 for a small bunch that would've been maybe £1.50 a week or so ago. Which is probably why they haven't been cleared out like the supermarkets.

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Post by DrFfybes »

Nimrod103 wrote:What is so funny about turnips?

The Brits have just forgotten how to turn turnips and swedes into a delectable dish.
They grew 100 acres of turnips behind us last year.

The first step in turning them into a delicious dish was "add sheep".

"Hang on a minute Doris, I think weve been spotted"

My image
https://imgur.com/kAmSwln

Lootman
The full Lemon

Post by Lootman »

Dod101 wrote:On another thread , some were expressing nostalgia for the 1950s. My recollection of that period was that turnips were all the rage, not for soup but as a vegetable to accompany what little meat there was, turnips and potatoes of course, both of which were easy to grow in a domestic vegetable plot. My father grew a lot of both.
That nostalgia thread appears to have vanished. I guess nostalgia ain't what it used to be. :D

I thought that neeps and tatties was mostly a Scottish thing? I had attributed that to the climate there favouring root veggies.

I find turnips to be fairly tasteless, and maybe that is why people like to add salt and sugar to them.

Prefer carrots.

UncleEbenezer
Lemon Half

Post by UncleEbenezer »

Lootman wrote:I thought that neeps and tatties was mostly a Scottish thing? I had attributed that to the climate there favouring root veggies.
Yeah, but their neeps aren't actually our turnips. Swedes have rather more flavour, especially when complemented by a bit of 'erbs and spice.

Not sure how much their climate has to do with it. Bear in mind, the spud ain't native to these shores.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Post by Dod101 »

Lootman wrote:
Dod101 wrote:On another thread , some were expressing nostalgia for the 1950s. My recollection of that period was that turnips were all the rage, not for soup but as a vegetable to accompany what little meat there was, turnips and potatoes of course, both of which were easy to grow in a domestic vegetable plot. My father grew a lot of both.
That nostalgia thread appears to have vanished. I guess nostalgia ain't what it used to be. :D

I thought that neeps and tatties was mostly a Scottish thing? I had attributed that to the climate there favouring root veggies.

I find turnips to be fairly tasteless, and maybe that is why people like to add salt and sugar to them.

Prefer carrots.
Swedes aware not the turnips you get in England. I confess not to have had any for some time but with haggis and some pepper they are very good for some reason.

Dod

88V8
Lemon Quarter

Post by 88V8 »

Dod101 wrote:Swedes aware not the turnips you get in England. I confess not to have had any for some time but with haggis and some pepper they are very good for some reason.
:o With haggis we have parsneeps :?

V8

Tedx
Lemon Slice

Post by Tedx »

88V8 wrote:
Dod101 wrote:Swedes aware not the turnips you get in England. I confess not to have had any for some time but with haggis and some pepper they are very good for some reason.
:o With haggis we have parsneeps :?

V8
Burn him!

Nimrod103
Lemon Half

Post by Nimrod103 »

kempiejon wrote:Romaine calm.
I’m sure plenty of tomatoes will turnip in the shops soon.

kempiejon
Lemon Quarter

Post by kempiejon »

Cos gemerally there's nothing to worry about.

AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Post by AsleepInYorkshire »

UncleEbenezer
Lemon Half

Post by UncleEbenezer »

AsleepInYorkshire wrote:Sauce Source

AiY(D)
Oh dear. A picture not of a turnip, but of a swede. Do we have another English word on the verge of extinction?

[edit] Oh, right, the picture on the bottle itself is a turnip. It's the left of the poster that caught my eye! :?

didds
Lemon Quarter

Post by didds »

kempiejon wrote:... before sticking them on the 'Gram
'Gram ?

didds

XFool
The full Lemon

Post by XFool »

didds wrote:
kempiejon wrote:... before sticking them on the 'Gram
'Gram ?
"Yes! We Have No Tomatoes" ?

chrissyr
2 Lemon pips

Post by chrissyr »

I honestly do not understand how that apology for a minister (and at times human being) actually has a position of power!

Imagine getting stuck in a lock-in with just her and Liz - the old joke about if you had 1 bullet springs to mind.

Nimrod103
Lemon Half

Post by Nimrod103 »

chrissyr wrote:I honestly do not understand how that apology for a minister (and at times human being) actually has a position of power!

Imagine getting stuck in a lock-in with just her and Liz - the old joke about if you had 1 bullet springs to mind.
What do you find objectionable in her? Is it because she is fat? Admit it.
AIUI she is the only science graduate in the cabinet, so she is obviously not thick. She has emphasised that we should be eating more environmentally friendly foods, rather than importing from thousands of miles away or growing under glass with heat. Do you think so many of our foods should require such a high input of fossil fuels?

chrissyr
2 Lemon pips

Post by chrissyr »

Thanks for listing my prejudices and agreeing them on my behalf.
No it is not because she is fat. And I never said she was stupid (although linking her to Liz might have suggested that ;) ).

I do sort of remember that while head of works and pensions she did suggest that those on benefits should just work 2 more hours to replace the £20 taken back. Forgetting that that is not how the benefits system worked (it was her department).
And just saying eat more turnip isn't a direct line to just stop oil membership!
In fact just saying any old tosh (the abcd of health doesn't solve the problems) is basically what she seems to do.

SimonS
Lemon Slice

Post by SimonS »

servodude wrote:Surely there must be a tome dedicated to these recipes!
A "Book for the Turnips"?
Aye, but it's been cancelled in my local library as someone doesn't like Tony Robinson. The Librarian said she'd look around for a copy at another library but pointed out an article on making invisible ink from the juice of root vegetables. From a single turnip you can create enough ink to write for a very long time, almost a turnip for the book. But it does make the paper go quinkly.

SimonS
Lemon Slice

Post by SimonS »

Nimrod103 wrote:
chrissyr wrote:I honestly do not understand how that apology for a minister (and at times human being) actually has a position of power!

AIUI she is the only science graduate in the cabinet, so she is obviously not thick. She has emphasised that we should be eating more environmentally friendly foods, rather than importing from thousands of miles away or growing under glass with heat. Do you think so many of our foods should require such a high input of fossil fuels?
Did you mean "Do you think so many of our foods should require such a high input from fossil fools?[

servodude
Lemon Half

Post by servodude »

Nimrod103 wrote:

Says more about the cabinet that she IS the only science grad on it than anything else :(
Looks like a 2:1 from UCL at her second attempt for a degree? Nice to see her determination rewarded - many would have given up after having been kicked out of Oxford for poor results. So I think she should be commended for that, irrespective of how Roald Dahl might have described her.

Incidentally there's no real requirement to use fossil fuels to heat crops under glass - I've seen it done it in several different ways depending on the available resouces. Never hurts to have a genset on standby just incase - but you can get huge gains in yield just being a bit smarter (or less wasteful than one might be traditionally)
- but I totally agree with the point that the first thing to do is choose your crops wisely based on what you can easily do!
It's what happened thousands of years ago and it worked fine then, spurring on huge changes in human behaviour and development.
Get that right and after you've got it sorted you might then want to look at expanding in to trading with the neighbours for the stuff you can't easily grow - there's no shame in saving orange juice to have as a starter for Xmas dinner

-sd

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”