A grim day.

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
UncleEbenezer
Lemon Half

Re: A grim day.

Post by UncleEbenezer »

It is indeed a change from Osbrownomics, and as such overdue.

But it ain't Thatcherism, nor any other form of economic sense. It's more-or-less another Labour policy: Ed Balls was calling for debt-fuelled expansion and a dash for growth after 2009.

Leothebear
Lemon Quarter

Post by Leothebear »

servodude wrote:
Leothebear wrote:just look at the US - lol.
Is the "US -lol" some sort of post modern aircraft carrier?
Yes and the Beatles are a musical group, m'lord.

marronier
Lemon Slice

Post by marronier »

I don't understand the philosophy behind taxing the purchaser of residential property rather than the vendor. Imagine if we extended the policy to share purchases and the seller paid no capital gains tax. At present the buyer pays 0.5% stamp duty and the seller is liable to CGT. I believe we should reduce stamp duty to 0.5% for the buyer and introduce a Property Gains Tax for the seller e.g. 50% for the first 5 years of ownership then 5% less during every 5th year period thereafter.

Leothebear
Lemon Quarter

Post by Leothebear »

Well, any benefits for the less well off have already been eradicated by the weak pound's effect on inflation.
Mortgage rates will also be rising again soon. The only winners are the well off and the energy companies, who'll be queueing up to offer Liz directorships when she's booted out of office.

A boost to the economy? They're having a laugh.

yyuryyub

Post by yyuryyub »

"I don't understand the philosophy behind taxing the purchaser of residential property rather than the vendor."

There seems a fairly practical reason to me. If the tax is not paid, the purchaser who is liable can be located and forced to pay, or title to the proerty can be frozen. If the seller were liable, they might be able to escape to destination unknown and never pay the tax.

Lootman
The full Lemon

Post by Lootman »

yyuryyub wrote:"I don't understand the philosophy behind taxing the purchaser of residential property rather than the vendor."

There seems a fairly practical reason to me. If the tax is not paid, the purchaser who is liable can be located and forced to pay, or title to the property can be frozen. If the seller were liable, they might be able to escape to destination unknown and never pay the tax.
That doesn't really hold up because the stamp duty would be deducted from the sale proceeds as part of the conveyancing. There is no way to avoid it regardless of whether it is paid by the buyer or the seller because without it being paid the sale does not complete.

I suppose in theory there could be a completely private transaction where I give you a suitcase full of cash and you sign the deeds over to me. But I imagine that doesn't happen very often in practice.

The fiddle I have heard of the most is where a property is owned by a company and then that company is sold whilst the title of the property does not change at the land registry. No doubt the taxman looks out for such transactions. How successful they are, I do not know.

brightncheerful
Lemon Quarter

Post by brightncheerful »

For a few seconds I though the subject concerned the proposed sale of The Prince of Wales, a popular public house (free of tie) in our town's cobbled lane - and when for many years before lockdown 1 I could be found most Monday evenings from about 10pm listening to friends talk about footfall and to my amazement of what i knew of their financial means spending a fortune on drinking alcohol. It was also the place where one friend estimated from the pub's price for a packet of crisps that a ton of potatoes would've cost £24,000.

But it wasn't, Instead I realise that is it a lighthearted jovial discussion similar to an item on BBC R4 News Quiz. The analogy of trickle-down economics is to imagine a rich someone in a bath that is being filled with water. The water level rises and water trickles over the bath onto the floor. Except that according to the Quiz panellist, the rich someone could afford to buy a bigger bath. Which i suppose would be good news for manufacturers and sellers of bigger baths. It would also be good news for the water company, particularly if the property has a water meter. And for wiping-up cloths, and builders to replace the rotten timbers of the bathroom floor.

Personally I think it is a good budget and not just for the rich (of which i am not since puppy now age 2 came into our lives and started eating her way through my bank balance). According to what I've read in the FT, any higher earner with a pension fund policy should put more into the pension fund before tax rate is reduced to 40%, as distinct from 45% tax relief now. Moreover it is not as though the extra £55,000 or so estimated tax benefit to the average rich will be available for frivolous spending: rich people tend to live in properties that have high energy costs.

As to whether the Chancellor's strategy will work it is I suggest too early to say. Doom mongers inevitably predict the worst; the media is prone to writing negatively.

simsqu
Lemon Slice

Post by simsqu »

Leothebear wrote:
servodude wrote: Is the "US -lol" some sort of post modern aircraft carrier?
Yes and the Beatles are a musical group, m'lord.

I believe the correct nomenclature is "...a popular musical beat combo..."

NotSure
Lemon Slice

Post by NotSure »

Well, look on the bright side:
U.K.'s Five-Year Bonds Now Yield More Than Italy or Greece

Medium-term borrowing costs in Britain have jumped above those in two of the eurozone's weaker members, Italy and Greece.

The yield on the U.K.'s benchmark five-year bond rose to 4.535% Monday, according to Tradeweb. The yield on the same duration notes for Italy and Greece, respectively, stood just below 4%. Yields rise when bond prices fall.
https://www.wsj.com/livecoverage/stock- ... G64dkkk9E9

XFool
The full Lemon

Post by XFool »

simsqu wrote:
Leothebear wrote: Yes and the Beatles are a musical group, m'lord.
I believe the correct nomenclature is "...a popular musical beat combo..."
LOL! I thought the same thing.

Leothebear
Lemon Quarter

Post by Leothebear »

So the IMF don't think much of the budget.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-63056417

Idiots. They can't have read Beerpig's Snug.

Leo

servodude
Lemon Half

Post by servodude »

Leothebear wrote:So the IMF don't think much of the budget.

Leo
Unbelievable!

..no sorry that's EMF
as you were

;)

CliffEdge
Lemon Slice

Post by CliffEdge »

Oh dear. What a mess we've got ourselves into. There seems to be no way out. Anyone got a time machine?

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Post by stevensfo »

Leo

Didn't they go out of business years ago?

Not another closing down sale?

Or was that MFI? 8-)

Steve

Mike4
Lemon Half

Post by Mike4 »

stevensfo wrote:

Leo

Or was that MFI? 8-)

Steve
it was MFI.

You're confusing them with EMF, a popular musical beat combo from Gloucestershire.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EMF_(band)

servodude
Lemon Half

Post by servodude »

Mike4 wrote:
stevensfo wrote:

Or was that MFI? 8-)

Steve
it was MFI.

You're confusing them with EMF, a popular musical beat combo from Gloucestershire.

It's unbelievable you missed my post above ;)

Mike4
Lemon Half

Post by Mike4 »

servodude wrote:
Mike4 wrote: it was MFI.

It's unbelievable you missed my post above ;)
So I did. My apologies!

Now, what WAS their biggest hit single, I'm trying to recall....

Weird and interesting time signature, too!

servodude
Lemon Half

Post by servodude »

Mike4 wrote:
servodude wrote: It's unbelievable you missed my post above ;)
So I did. My apologies!

Now, what WAS their biggest hit single, I'm trying to recall....

Weird and interesting time signature, too!
The B-side got quite a bit of play also (...from us to you!)

And people think Dexy's were one hit wonders!

servodude
Lemon Half

Post by servodude »

Snorvey wrote:For a minute I thought it was the MILF that was having a go at us.
Show some respect...
That's Ms Meloni to you (or whatever title fascista go by these days) ;)

terminal7
Lemon Quarter

Post by terminal7 »

And people think Dexy's were one hit wonders!
Kevin Rowlands still going strong and singing about Jocky Wilson.

T7

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”