Dinner in the 1950s

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
scotia
Lemon Quarter

Re: Dinner in the 1950s

Post by scotia »

Dod101 wrote:
scotia wrote: You seem to have led a sheltered life. In lots of respectable working class households, the main wage earner could/did not return home at mid day for a meal. I have quoted my family experience in a mining village - but it extended to other industries. Not to mention the problems of shift working.
I have no idea but if so, so did Lootman apparently. In my family history notes, I have commented that the industrial revolution more or less passed us by and that is true on all sides of my family so maybe you are right. We lived in a relatively small town and my father worked within walking or cycling distance of our house as a joiner in the workshop. He returned after 12 noon and was back at work by 1 pm. He thus had plenty of time for the main meal of the day at home during that time. My mother did not work and so she had the meal dished up for him more or less as he came in the door. We and those in a similar position called that meal dinner. Tea was usually not later than 5.30 pm after my father returned home. He often worked overtime but came home for tea and might then return to work for a further three hours or so. His normal working hours were 8 am to 5 pm with an hour off between 12 noon and 1 pm. That was in the immediate postwar period although my memory is probably of the early 1950s.

Dod
Yes - mid-day was called dinner and late afternoon was tea - although dinner for dad was his pit piece - plain bread, one with jam, the other with cheese - all fitting into a tin box of the same shape as the bread. Dad was up at 5:30am and back by 4pm. At primary school, we walked back home at mid-day for "dinner". At secondary school, to which we were bussed, it was initially school dinners, but like Rhyd6, they didn't agree with me - three stodgy courses to be consumed in 20 minutes (so that the second half of the school could get their turn in a subsequent 20 minutes). So I (and many others) turned to sandwiches.
There is a picture of a miner's sandwich tin at https://miningheritage.co.uk/snap-tin/

XFool
The full Lemon

Post by XFool »

Rhyd6 wrote:In the 1950s we had our main meal of the day at about 6.00pm when my father arrived home from work. I started school full time aged 3 and I have a certificate stating that I attended every school day for a year.
A very young start! I got no certificates, but after I first learned to read out loud in infant class I was promoted to "the top row". :lol:
Rhyd6 wrote:I tried school dinners but they didn't go down well
School dinners. Yuk! Always a fight: "You won't get any pudding unless you eat up all your greens, beetroot (shudder)". I have never touched beetroot since.
Rhyd6 wrote:The menu looks somewhat weird. Where are the shepherd's pies, stews, rissoles, potatoe cakes with fritters? I could go on and on.
Rabbit? Sardines? Spam? ;)
Rhyd6 wrote:One of my cousins has just written and published his autobiography and in it he mentions the delights of coming to stay with us and being allowed to have "seconds", especially my mum's mousse which was made using Carnation milk whipped into an almost set jelly which still gets the grandchildren and great grandchildren excited.
"I thought my mother was a bad cook but at least her gravy used to move around a bit. Yours just lays there and sets." - Hancock's Half Hour

My mum's treat was "egg in a cup". (A soft boiled egg whipped up with butter in a cup)

scotia
Lemon Quarter

Post by scotia »

XFool wrote: My mum's treat was "egg in a cup". (A soft boiled egg whipped up with butter in a cup)
still a treat :)

pje16
Lemon Half

Post by pje16 »

XFool wrote: My mum's treat was "egg in a cup". (A soft boiled egg whipped up with butter in a cup)
Did you still have the soldiers :lol:

GrahamPlatt
Lemon Quarter

Post by GrahamPlatt »

Newroad wrote:
If you go further back to the etymology itself, "dinner" is close to "breakfast" in meaning, i.e. literally the first meal of the day. Apparently, for the Romans in particular, the midday meal was typically the first of the day. It made its way into English from Latin via French.

Regards, Newroad
Indeed. The French verb for going without food (to fast) is jeûner. The French word for lunch is déjeuner. As in de-jeûner.

stewamax
Lemon Quarter

Post by stewamax »

'T workers may 'ave had dinner at noon, but gentlemen dined in the evening.
Remember the dictum of that great stickler for etiquette Lord Curzon who when he was Chancellor of Oxford University and asked for his approval for a meal that followed the award of an honoris causa degree to Queen Mary in 1921: "Gentlemen do not take soup at luncheon”.

Rhyd6
Lemon Quarter

Post by Rhyd6 »

For those of you who are interested in what life was like immediately after the war for ordinary men and women may I recommend "Our Hidden Lives" by Simon Garfield. It contains extracts from diaries of ordinary people. He obtained his material from the Trustees of the Mass-Observation Archive They make fascinating reading and as they're in date order you can dip in and out for any particular date you please. I've just started re-reading it, inspired by this topic.
Whilst digging out the book I came across an invitation to a Masonic Ladies Evening to be held at 'The Ambassadors Restaurant' (Browns of Chester')
in 1951. The menu for dinner was Creme Marie Louise, Braised Chicken Printemps, Chateau and Boiled Potatoes, Fresh Garden Peas or Cauliflower followed by Apple pie and Custard or Cheese and biscuits and finally coffee. After this there was dancing or whist and a buffet was served at 11.30pm which consisted of Sandwiches, sausage rolls, pastries, trifles, jellies and ices, coffee. The bar was open until 12.30am and they finished the evening at 1 am with a redition of Auld Lang Syne.
I'm sure a good time was had by all.

R6

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”