Football

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
pje16
Lemon Half

Re: Football

Post by pje16 »

Howyoudoin wrote: Only 7 of 10 Premier League games will be going ahead.
Chelsea vs Liv, Man Utd vs Leeds and Brighton vs Cp are off.
The last one was off anyway and the first two are now off for ‘security’ reasons.
That’s a convenient excuse for Liverpool isn’t it?
HYD
If Man Utd game against Liverpool had been called off the other week, the same (excuse) would have been fitting (Utd were supposed to be on a hiding)
they won 3-1
There are some very surprising results so far this season.

Howyoudoin
Lemon Quarter

Post by Howyoudoin »

pje16 wrote:
Howyoudoin wrote: Only 7 of 10 Premier League games will be going ahead.
Chelsea vs Liv, Man Utd vs Leeds and Brighton vs Cp are off.
The last one was off anyway and the first two are now off for ‘security’ reasons.
That’s a convenient excuse for Liverpool isn’t it?
HYD
If Man Utd game against Liverpool had been called off the other week, the same (excuse) would have been fitting (Utd were supposed to be on a hiding)
they won 3-1
The excuse i'm referring to is Liverpool fans making a show of themselves again on the World stage by booing the national anthem or during a minutes silence.

HYD

pje16
Lemon Half

Post by pje16 »

Howyoudoin wrote:
pje16 wrote: If Man Utd game against Liverpool had been called off the other week, the same (excuse) would have been fitting (Utd were supposed to be on a hiding)
they won 3-1
The excuse i'm referring to is Liverpool fans making a show of themselves again on the World stage by booing the national anthem or during a minutes silence.

HYD
Oh, OK, when was that
I thought they were good recently
https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/articl ... ation.html

Howyoudoin
Lemon Quarter

Post by Howyoudoin »

pje16 wrote:
Howyoudoin wrote: The excuse i'm referring to is Liverpool fans making a show of themselves again on the World stage by booing the national anthem or during a minutes silence.

HYD
Oh, OK, when was that
Liverpool Fans Criticised After Jeers And Boos For Prince William And National Anthem At FA Cup Final

https://www.eurosport.co.uk/football/th ... tory.shtml

HYD

pje16
Lemon Half

Post by pje16 »

ok thanks
I am not defending it, but I do understand why

“Liverpool fans have a history of booing the national anthem, with the dislike of the song linked to their dislike of the Conservative government in the 1980s, which oversaw the Hillsborough disaster and ensuing cover-up, amongst other policies and actions.”

Especially Hillsborough, that cover-up was a disgrace

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Post by Itsallaguess »

Howyoudoin wrote:
Liverpool Fans Criticised After Jeers And Boos For Prince William And National Anthem At FA Cup Final
Well we're certainly living through a topsy-turvy couple of years, that's for sure, but hopefully soon we'll be able to look back and see the day when a West Ham fan thought he could come onto a Football discussion board and somehow look to take the moral high ground as being the pinnacle of the sort of madness that we're currently going through...

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Howyoudoin
Lemon Quarter

Post by Howyoudoin »

Itsallaguess wrote:
Howyoudoin wrote:
Well we're certainly living through a topsy-turvy couple of years, that's for sure, but hopefully soon we'll be able to look back and see the day when a West Ham fan thought he could come onto a Football discussion board and somehow look to take the moral high ground as being the pinnacle of the sort of madness that we're currently going through...

Cheers,

Itsallaguess
Not sure what you mean. Compare and contrast.

West Ham fans sing national anthem instead of minute's silence for the Queen

https://www.sportbible.com/football/wes ... 8.amp.html

Don’t know why you’re taking it personally unless you are one of those who boo the National Anthem. It’s only them that my post was aimed at.

Guess we should just be thankful that most Liverpool fans observed the minutes silence tonight, though there were still some idiots shouting out who had to be shushed by their fellow supporters.

HYD

dealtn
Lemon Half

Post by dealtn »

Immaculately supported minute's silence at last nights game, followed by a singing of the National Anthem and 2 rounds of enthusiastic applause, possibly the loudest I have ever heard as part of a game's opening.

Might not have been replicated everywhere, of course, but it was an impressive collective response from the multi-thousand crowd.

Howyoudoin
Lemon Quarter

Post by Howyoudoin »

dealtn wrote:Immaculately supported minute's silence at last nights game, followed by a singing of the National Anthem and 2 rounds of enthusiastic applause, possibly the loudest I have ever heard as part of a game's opening.

Might not have been replicated everywhere, of course, but it was an impressive collective response from the multi-thousand crowd.
Nice one. Which game was this?

HYD

pje16
Lemon Half

Post by pje16 »

It seems Liverpool fans rose above past feelings last night
https://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/football ... n-27982795
Well done

Howyoudoin
Lemon Quarter

Post by Howyoudoin »

pje16 wrote:It seems Liverpool fans rose above past feelings last night
Well done
Guessing you didn't see it yourself?

As stated previously, the silence was observed by most, but not all, which may be why the referee decided to end the 'one minute' silence after only 30 seconds. Indeed, even your link above admits that that the TV Commentator BT Sport's Darren Fletcher, speaking after the referee brought an end to the tribute, said: "Impeccably observed by many, but not by everyone."

HYD

pje16
Lemon Half

Post by pje16 »

Howyoudoin wrote:
pje16 wrote:It seems Liverpool fans rose above past feelings last night
Well done
Guessing you didn't see it yourself?

As stated previously, the silence was observed by most, but not all, which may be why the referee decided to end the 'one minute' silence after only 30 seconds. Indeed, even your link above admits that that the TV Commentator BT Sport's Darren Fletcher, speaking after the referee brought an end to the tribute, said: "Impeccably observed by many, but not by everyone."

HYD
No I didn't
There are always some planks in every crowd

pje16
Lemon Half

Post by pje16 »

He's only been here 5 minutes
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/62899010
Leave our game alone

dealtn
Lemon Half

Post by dealtn »

Howyoudoin wrote:
dealtn wrote:Immaculately supported minute's silence at last nights game, followed by a singing of the National Anthem and 2 rounds of enthusiastic applause, possibly the loudest I have ever heard as part of a game's opening.

Nice one. Which game was this?

HYD
I'm afraid I won't say to preserve my anonymity here.

didds
Lemon Quarter

Post by didds »

I thought that this is why football (copied by others now) brought in a minute's clapping over silence as it removed the probability of the shouters etc from being heard.

I can only presume this wasn't done as it may have been deemed inappropriate I suppose.

didds

pje16
Lemon Half

Post by pje16 »

I feel that clapping is a positive action, while standing still and staring into space isn't

gryffron
Lemon Quarter

Post by gryffron »

didds wrote:I thought that this is why football (copied by others now) brought in a minute's clapping over silence as it removed the probability of the shouters etc from being heard.
pje16 wrote:I feel that clapping is a positive action, while standing still and staring into space isn't
I've always felt that minute's silences must be a nightmare for players - of any sport. You've just had your team talk, psyked yourself up for the game, completed your proper warmup to avoid cramp and injury - and then they make you stand still in silence for a minute. At least during applause you can stay active.

Gryff

Leothebear
Lemon Quarter

Post by Leothebear »

I've always felt that minute's silences must be a nightmare for players - of any sport. You've just had your team talk, psyked yourself up for the game, completed your proper warmup to avoid cramp and injury - and then they make you stand still in silence for a minute. At least during applause you can stay active.

I suppose the poor lambs could spend that minute pondering whether to get a Ferrari or a McLaren with their next week's wage.

didds
Lemon Quarter

Post by didds »

I suppose the poor lambs could spend that minute pondering whether to get a Ferrari or a McLaren with their next week's wage.

you don't watch any community sport do you?

dealtn
Lemon Half

Post by dealtn »

Leothebear wrote:I've always felt that minute's silences must be a nightmare for players - of any sport. You've just had your team talk, psyked yourself up for the game, completed your proper warmup to avoid cramp and injury - and then they make you stand still in silence for a minute. At least during applause you can stay active.

They could do (although few would be able to afford to on a weeks wages). More likely, like any other professional, they will be focussed on the job they are about to undertake.

Out of interest what job do you (or did you) have? Were you in the top 1% in that profession? How did you feel when others with limited knowledge made assumptions and ridiculed your professionalism and performance?

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”