John Lewis Partnership credit card

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
PhaleonopsisBoy

Re: John Lewis Partnership credit card

Post by PhaleonopsisBoy »

This has also happened to me and we both think age can be the only reason. We have written a letter of complaint. We’re disgusted

scrumpyjack
Lemon Quarter

Post by scrumpyjack »

I too have an Amazon card with Newday and have never had any problem with them, and I have had to contact their customer services who were fine. But I also have a Barclaycard as that gives me 0.5% cashback on everything, whilst the Amazon card gives a slightly higher rate of cash reward but only on Amazon purchases. I have always paid off my cards in full every month. It is certainly worth having more than one card so you are not inconvenienced when there is a problems with one of them.

swill453
Lemon Half

Post by swill453 »

scrumpyjack wrote:I too have an Amazon card with Newday and have never had any problem with them, and I have had to contact their customer services who were fine. But I also have a Barclaycard as that gives me 0.5% cashback on everything, whilst the Amazon card gives a slightly higher rate of cash reward but only on Amazon purchases.
Ditto, plus a Santander Zero card to use abroad.

Scott.

malkymoo
Lemon Slice

Post by malkymoo »

My transfer to the new card went through ok. Bit of a faff validating the new card. My credit limit went up from £7200 to £10,000. Not that I ever use the credit, I think the most I have had owing on the card is about £1000.

FWIW I am 74, usually spend about £500 a month on the card and always pay off in full each month.

CliffEdge
Lemon Slice

Post by CliffEdge »

I haven't been given a code number. Haven't been contacted.
Assume I've been pre disapproved. Average spend £600 pm, paid off in full every month. Hardly ever shop in useless Waitrose though.

brightncheerful
Lemon Quarter

Post by brightncheerful »

simsqu
Lemon Slice

Post by simsqu »

brightncheerful wrote:
JL have also responded and have thanked me taking the time to provide my very detailed feedback which they will share within the appropriate parties within John Lewis and Newday. The reply ending with "We truly appreciate your time."
Hmmm yeah, sounds like they've sent you The Bug Letter, which I am sure everyone knows? It's probably apochryphal, but makes a great story

Redmires
Lemon Slice

Post by Redmires »

brightncheerful wrote:The avalanche gathers pace:

https://smartmoneypeople.com/john-lewis ... redit-card
I'll be surprised if John Lewis come through this unscathed. As someone states in one of the reviews, this is their 'Ratner' moment. We visited my mother-in-law yesterday and got her sorted with a new credit card via her bank. Took five minutes. As mentioned previously, she worked for JL for many years and is a JL pensioner and was as loyal to the brand as could be. This was the final straw, after JL closed down her local store last year.

CliffEdge
Lemon Slice

Post by CliffEdge »

Redmires wrote:
brightncheerful wrote:The avalanche gathers pace:

https://smartmoneypeople.com/john-lewis ... redit-card
I'll be surprised if John Lewis come through this unscathed. As someone states in one of the reviews, this is their 'Ratner' moment. We visited my mother-in-law yesterday and got her sorted with a new credit card via her bank. Took five minutes. As mentioned previously, she worked for JL for many years and is a JL pensioner and was as loyal to the brand as could be. This was the final straw, after JL closed down her local store last year.
The fish rots from the head down as they say. Similar idiots at Which?

scrumpyjack
Lemon Quarter

Post by scrumpyjack »

I have just had notification that Amazon are no longer going to use Newday for the Amazon credit card!

pje16
Lemon Half

Post by pje16 »

Yes, I got that as well
I won't be bothering with the offer of a Pulse card with its paltry .25% cash back offer :roll:

nsimmo

Post by nsimmo »

I have the same issue, no credit issues, use the card for the rewards and pay the full balance every month, I guess they don’t want people who do that, just people who don’t pay full balance every month therefore earning them interest charges- shame on you John Lewis, obviously will stop shopping at John Lewis and Waitrose!

pje16
Lemon Half

Post by pje16 »

nsimmo wrote:pay the full balance every month
I do the same and have done with every credit card since I first got one in the mid 80s

Alaric
Lemon Half

Post by Alaric »

Redmires wrote: I've been following the JL posts on the moneysavingexpert forum and it seems a common theme is to either be rejected or be accepted but with a much smaller credit limit.
I've had a Partnership card for years which is in regular use and paid off in full every month. My employment status is also "retired"

Apart from taking a while for the physical card to arrive I got the new card with no change in credit limit. I'm never quite sure what to put down as income. In the event I took the gross number off my tax calculation, being the sum of State Pension, Pension from employment and taxable dividend and interest income. Partner's income I declared as zero. They ask for that if the partner isn't going to be asked to help pay the monthly debt.

Mike4
Lemon Half

Post by Mike4 »

I'm rather taken aback to hear John Lewis offer credit cards. I must ring my bank to find out if they have started selling soft furnishings and washing machines.

Alaric
Lemon Half

Post by Alaric »

Mike4 wrote: I must ring my bank to find out if they have started selling soft furnishings and washing machines.
Clothes as well, given that M&S have offered a credit card for donkey's years.

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”