The Queen is Dead

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
XFool
The full Lemon

Re: The Queen is Dead

Post by XFool »

Don't go to Green Park to see the flowers because Green Park is closed and you won't see anything - apart from a whole lotta people.

No idea about Hyde Park.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Post by Dod101 »

AsleepInYorkshire wrote:
Dod101 wrote:
This Summer? This morning it feels as if the summer is well and truly over, and I am not as far north as Balmoral.

Dod
The temperature has dropped yes. Are you travelling this year Dod?

Ensuring I remain on topic I hope the temperatures are reasonable on Monday for family and mourners.

AiY(D)
I hope to go off, if not this year then just in to next year but it all depends on any Covid restrictions. Off topic though!

Dod

AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Post by AsleepInYorkshire »

George and Charlotte to join Westminster Abbey mourners

Nine-year-old George and his sister, seven, will form part of a procession with the Royal Family, following the coffin as it enters the church.

They are children. All I can hope for is that they walk behind the Queens coffin for no more than 30 seconds and then they can be taken to a place out of the limelight and protected by privacy. This is not the sort of pressure any child should be asked to undertake.

They shouldn't have to do this. It was wrong to put William and Harry behind their mothers coffin. The emotional pressure will have burned deep into their memories.

AiY(D)

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Post by Itsallaguess »

After days of lying-in-state, the body of the late Queen Elizabeth II will begin its final journey on Monday morning as part of a grand state funeral - first to Westminster Abbey, for a religious service in front of a congregation of thousands, and then on to Windsor Castle for a more intimate committal service and, finally, a private burial.

It will be a day of emotion, pomp and ceremony the like of which has not been seen since the last state funeral, of Winston Churchill, almost 60 years ago. The Queen made personal additions to the plans, Buckingham Palace has said.

Here is a breakdown of the day's events on Monday 19 September.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-60617519

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

pje16
Lemon Half

Post by pje16 »

AsleepInYorkshire wrote: Nine-year-old George and his sister, seven, will form part of a procession with the Royal Family, following the coffin as it enters the church.

They are children. All I can hope for is that they walk behind the Queens coffin for no more than 30 seconds and then they can be taken to a place out of the limelight and protected by privacy. This is not the sort of pressure any child should be asked to undertake.
They shouldn't have to do this. It was wrong to put William and Harry behind their mothers coffin. The emotional pressure will have burned deep into their memories.

AiY(D)
Totally agreed, at that age it is hard to even understand a death.
It is probably being done for show

88V8
Lemon Quarter

Post by 88V8 »

Watching the Beeb life stream... can't help but be struck by the poor commentary... Dimbleby R would have told us who all these State leaders are, arriving as I write, all we get from the current team is meta-woffle.

And we could definitely do without the noise of the news helicopter... drones have been invented.

V8

didds
Lemon Quarter

Post by didds »

88V8 wrote:
And we could definitely do without the noise of the news helicopter... drones have been invented.

V8

apparently

"UK Civil Aviation Authority
@UK_CAA
Airspace restrictions are in place in London following the death of Her Majesty The Queen until the evening of 19 September 2022.

Restrictions also apply to all drone flying.

Find out more at: https://airspacesafety.com/home/mournin ... the-queen/ "

of course there COULD be exceptions made I am sure etc

pje16
Lemon Half

Post by pje16 »

There has been so much TV coverage over the last week that I was beginning to become, dare I say, a bit bored by it all.
BUT
I have had the BBC on since 8am this morning and have been watching the magnificent armed forces on the march.
My heart swelled with pride
THIS is what we do superbly, better than any other country, ceremonial rituals, this event will live long in the memory.

God rest the Queen.

AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

All too often the question is raised, "why is it called Great Britain?".

I think that is already evident as the Royal Navy bears the burden of weight and starts the final journey of our late Queen taking her to her final resting place, at peace and with Phillip. We're all their, we're all represented.

The debate about our need for a monarchy was something Queen Elizabeth never discussed. She served with a loyalty, to date, unrivalled. She leaves us with a great legacy, a reminder of why there is a Great in Britain.

A Great Britain has passed into her heaven. She leaves so much for us to embrace. A true legacy.

AiY(D)

AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Four Canadian Mounties on horseback at the front of the late Queens funeral procession.

They are paying a great honour not just to Queen Elizabeth but the Commonwealth.

They look magnificent, as, I hasten to add, does the entire procession.

AiY(D)

pje16
Lemon Half

Post by pje16 »

AsleepInYorkshire wrote:Four Canadian Mounties on horseback at the front of the late Queens funeral procession.

They are paying a great honour not just to Queen Elizabeth but the Commonwealth.

AiY(D)
The whole event has been truly magnificent
I am still bursting with pride at what a great remembrance this is
Apparently the length the procession is over a mile

UncleEbenezer
Lemon Half

Post by UncleEbenezer »

pje16 wrote:THIS is what we do superbly, better than any other country, ceremonial rituals, this event will live long in the memory.
Kind-of as documented in that pioneering filmed expression of ceremony, Triumph of the Will. Audiences love it.

AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

pje16 wrote:
AsleepInYorkshire wrote:Four Canadian Mounties on horseback at the front of the late Queens funeral procession.

AiY(D)
The sight of the procession coming down The Mall and filling it was impressive. She earned it, and some.

AiY(D)

AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Dod101
The full Lemon

Post by Dod101 »

pje16 wrote:

AiY(D)
Yes, magnificent but I have had quite enough of the military music for a while and am now going out to get some fresh air and exercise. The service itself was very conservative and traditional, not that I have anything against that, except for that awful Baroness Scotland. Who did she think she was? Our new PM was good, straightforward and no messing.

Dod

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Post by kiloran »

I find it remarkable (and wonderful) that one person can engender such pomp and ceremony, and such a massive turnout from world leaders and the public. Partly due to her position as the monarch, but I think mainly due to her human qualities. An astonishing woman.
I don't think there is any other person in the world who could be the subject of such an outpouring of love and respect.

--kiloran

pje16
Lemon Half

Post by pje16 »

kiloran wrote:I find it remarkable (and wonderful) that one person can engender such pomp and ceremony, and such a massive turnout from world leaders and the public. Partly due to her position as the monarch, but I think mainly due to her human qualities. An astonishing woman.
I don't think there is any other person in the world who could be the subject of such an outpouring of love and respect.

--kiloran
Great post...
Correct she was very much one of a kind and this is why tens (maybe hundreds) of thousands have turned out to respect her.

AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

kiloran wrote:I find it remarkable (and wonderful) that one person can engender such pomp and ceremony, and such a massive turnout from world leaders and the public. Partly due to her position as the monarch, but I think mainly due to her human qualities. An astonishing woman.

--kiloran
The estimate for those watching globally is 4.1bn.

Nuff said

AiY(D)

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Post by mc2fool »

Dod101 wrote:The service itself was very conservative and traditional, not that I have anything against that, except for that awful Baroness Scotland. Who did she think she was?
What do you mean? She was the person chosen to deliver the first lesson, presumably because she is Secretary-General of the Commonwealth and presumably because that office was chosen to deliver the first lesson when the service was planned many years ago, not because she is Baroness Scotland. And the choice of the lesson would have been prescribed from many years ago too.

I take it you didn't like her delivery? I didn't watch it live but have now looked it up and watched it, and well, ok, it's a bit bland, but I'm not sure I get why it solicits "Who did she think she was?".

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFmYOJkTO-k

The full order of the service is at https://s3.documentcloud.org/documents/ ... -abbey.pdf

pje16
Lemon Half

Post by pje16 »

AsleepInYorkshire wrote: The estimate for those watching globally is 4.1bn.

Nuff said

AiY(D)
World population is 7.9bn
so that is just over half the world (52%)
MInd-blowing

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”