No More Money for BBC from Me

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
UncleEbenezer
Lemon Half

Re: No More Money for BBC from Me

Post by UncleEbenezer »

stewamax wrote: <Sir Hunphrey>
Hrrumph...
50 years ago you merely named your college and only added 'Oxford' or 'Cambridge' when there was a clash (e.g. Trinity or Magdalene)
</Sir Humphrey>
Sir Humphrey was much funnier (and didn't he go to a fictional Oxford college)?

FTR, "Trinity" on its own is rather likely to refer to Dublin, whereas "Magdalene" is not ambiguous at all when written.

In my time in Cambridge, Magdalene had a lacklustre academic reputation and was the butt of jokes about not-very-bright toffs. There was also a degree called "Land Economy", whose purpose seemed to be a sinecure to give sons of the aristocracy a certificate to take over the ancestral estates. Leading to a rather poor but strangely memorable joke:

Q: Why is semen white and urine yellow?
A: So that a Magdalene Land Economist can tell if he's coming or going.

TUK020
Lemon Quarter

Post by TUK020 »

Midsmartin wrote:I think the BBC is, sadly, in a self-fulfilling downwards spiral.

Where they really ought to excel is in high quality news, current affairs & documentaries. They should be doing in depth analysis & investigations. Instead, in an effort to keep politicians happy they have been cutting budgets for these operations, and dropping anything that might upset the government too much. News coverage is increasingly lightweight and tabloidy.
Intelligent science programming on TV is almost extinct. For years they countered actual science on climate change with the "balance" of the scientifically illiterate. Vapid opinions are as important as actual science.

Radio 4 still has some highlights. "More or less" often shows up the poor reporting elsewhere on all channels including the BBC. Radio 4 is still permittted to do intelligent science - though for how long I wonder, as the pressure to dumb down by appealing to the masses seems to be increasing. Heaven forbid we should be elitest by assuming our audience has GCSEs.
I find that I agree with this perspective.
The remit of the BBC is to "inform, educate and entertain". This was set up in an age where it did not have commercial alternatives.
There are many alternatives today for the "entertain" bit. That seems to be where the BBC is spending vast amounts of money trying to compete (cue conversations about football commentator salaries etc). And yet where they provide public value is in the "inform, educate" part.
I think there should be a public discussion about restricting the remit of the BBC to areas where it provides material not provided by the commercial broadcasters. This would fit with radically slashing the budget, and then funding this from the general exchequer.

absolutezero
Lemon Quarter

Post by absolutezero »

swill453 wrote:
didds wrote:The "stored" content exception is BBC Iplayer. For now.
I think there's more chance of the licence being abolished than its scope expanded.

Scott.
They'll just what they do abroad and put it on your broadband or electricity bill.

CliffEdge
Lemon Slice

Post by CliffEdge »

TUK020 wrote:
Midsmartin wrote:I think the BBC is, sadly, in a self-fulfilling downwards spiral.

Where they really ought to excel is in high quality news, current affairs & documentaries. They should be doing in depth analysis & investigations. Instead, in an effort to keep politicians happy they have been cutting budgets for these operations, and dropping anything that might upset the government too much. News coverage is increasingly lightweight and tabloidy.
Intelligent science programming on TV is almost extinct. For years they countered actual science on climate change with the "balance" of the scientifically illiterate. Vapid opinions are as important as actual science.

Radio 4 still has some highlights. "More or less" often shows up the poor reporting elsewhere on all channels including the BBC. Radio 4 is still permittted to do intelligent science - though for how long I wonder, as the pressure to dumb down by appealing to the masses seems to be increasing. Heaven forbid we should be elitest by assuming our audience has GCSEs.
I find that I agree with this perspective.
The remit of the BBC is to "inform, educate and entertain". This was set up in an age where it did not have commercial alternatives.
There are many alternatives today for the "entertain" bit. That seems to be where the BBC is spending vast amounts of money trying to compete (cue conversations about football commentator salaries etc). And yet where they provide public value is in the "inform, educate" part.
I think there should be a public discussion about restricting the remit of the BBC to areas where it provides material not provided by the commercial broadcasters. This would fit with radically slashing the budget, and then funding this from the general exchequer.
I agree. The BBC was special, trusted and admired the world over. It's disgraceful that its leaders are allowing the politicians and the internal LGBTQ activists to destroy its formerly authentic news and quality dramas.
But I've given up on TV.
I could be accused of being like Benjamin in Animal Farm. But what can one do? Most people are insane. The evidence is indisputable. Plenty on here to be frank.

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Post by AF62 »

CliffEdge wrote:But I've given up on TV.
Why? There is plenty of good TV - just these days it isn't on the BBC, and generally isn't broadcast on any UK TV station, but is streamed to those who will pay for it.

scotia
Lemon Quarter

Post by scotia »

AF62 wrote:
Why? There is plenty of good TV - just these days it isn't on the BBC, and generally isn't broadcast on any UK TV station, but is streamed to those who will pay for it.
So you missed Simon Rattle and Mahler 2 last night on BBC 4

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Post by AF62 »

scotia wrote:
AF62 wrote: Why? There is plenty of good TV - just these days it isn't on the BBC, and generally isn't broadcast on any UK TV station, but is streamed to those who will pay for it.
So you missed Simon Rattle and Mahler 2 last night on BBC 4
The BBC4 that the BBC announced last year was being taken off air and would be turned into a streaming only channel showing old repeats.

XFool
The full Lemon

Post by XFool »

CliffEdge wrote:I could be accused of being like Benjamin in Animal Farm. But what can one do? Most people are insane. The evidence is indisputable.
Interesting aside... Years ago, after my first extended exposure to the Internet (after it had become public & popular), that was my very own conclusion:

"I never knew everyone else was insane" :shock:

:)

scotia
Lemon Quarter

Post by scotia »

AF62 wrote:
scotia wrote: So you missed Simon Rattle and Mahler 2 last night on BBC 4
The BBC4 that the BBC announced last year was being taken off air and would be turned into a streaming only channel showing old repeats.
Are you sure? I thought that the Proms on BBC4 was not affected - apart from being online only
Yes - BBC4 is going online - out of economic necessity, caused by the freezing of its licence fee by the culture secretary Nadine Dorries. I can safely say that I never watched the program on a non-BBC channel which starred this culture-secretary-to-be.

CliffEdge
Lemon Slice

Post by CliffEdge »

scotia wrote:
AF62 wrote: The BBC4 that the BBC announced last year was being taken off air and would be turned into a streaming only channel showing old repeats.
Are you sure? I thought that the Proms on BBC4 was not affected - apart from being online only
Yes - BBC4 is going online - out of economic necessity, caused by the freezing of its licence fee by the culture secretary Nadine Dorries. I can safely say that I never watched the program on a non-BBC channel which starred this culture-secretary-to-be.
Oxymoron there or just moron.

CliffEdge
Lemon Slice

Post by CliffEdge »

scotia wrote:
AF62 wrote: The BBC4 that the BBC announced last year was being taken off air and would be turned into a streaming only channel showing old repeats.
Oxymoron there or just moron.

CliffEdge
Lemon Slice

Post by CliffEdge »

AF62 wrote:
I pay my licence. Why do I have to pay extra to get decent TV. Anyway most of the dramas from these sellers sound like a load of rubbish.
The only reasons to have a TV are to watch 1. the (beleaguered) BBC and 2. sport. I don't watch sport but I understand why TV is essential for those who do.
Cinema is great. Really enjoyed Dune. Wouldn't want it in my living room.

Arborbridge
Lemon Half

Post by Arborbridge »

CliffEdge wrote:
AF62 wrote: Why? There is plenty of good TV - just these days it isn't on the BBC, and generally isn't broadcast on any UK TV station, but is streamed to those who will pay for it.
I pay my licence. Why do I have to pay extra to get decent TV. Anyway most of the dramas from these sellers sound like a load of rubbish.
The only reasons to have a TV are to watch 1. the (beleaguered) BBC and 2. sport. I don't watch sport but I understand why TV is essential for those who do.
Cinema is great. Really enjoyed Dune. Wouldn't want it in my living room.
Why do I have to pay extra to get decent TV.
You don't: there is plenty of it on BBC!

Arborbridge
Lemon Half

Post by Arborbridge »

AF62 wrote:
I beg to differ: there is still plenty of good TV on BBC and the Freeview channels.

CliffEdge
Lemon Slice

Post by CliffEdge »

I don't think modern TV drama or comedy is much use to male white children of the seventies like me whichever channel it's on.

ReformedCharacter
Lemon Quarter

Post by ReformedCharacter »

CliffEdge wrote:I don't think modern TV drama or comedy is much use to male white children of the seventies like me whichever channel it's on.
You could consider gender reassignment and cultural appropriation to improve your enjoyment, they're quite popular nowadays.

RC

CliffEdge
Lemon Slice

Post by CliffEdge »

ReformedCharacter wrote:
CliffEdge wrote:I don't think modern TV drama or comedy is much use to male white children of the seventies like me whichever channel it's on.
You could consider gender reassignment and cultural appropriation to improve your enjoyment, they're quite popular nowadays.

RC
I'll look into it Thanks.
Or I might just carry on reading books if it's easier.

Arborbridge
Lemon Half

Post by Arborbridge »

I'd agree about much of the humour. But as a boy of the 50's I still find much interesting drama. Not so most of the "reality" shows (what a misnomer) and I never did follow gameshows or soaps much.
But that still leaves quite a few hours of good TV, and occasionally I'm struggling to keep up so have to be abstemious with taking on committments to new series.

Arb.

Gerry557
Lemon Quarter

Post by Gerry557 »

didds wrote:I don't need to though.

and if i did, id only get a refund for any whole quarters left, then have to repurchase from today, thus losing money.
So not simple to do, more worrying that its whole quarters rather than per day. In fact you make it sound quite terrible. I hope you are mistaken.

You loosing money is the BBCs gain, it could be behind the quarterly thing.

didds
Lemon Quarter

Post by didds »

Gerry557 wrote:
didds wrote:I don't need to though.

and if i did, id only get a refund for any whole quarters left, then have to repurchase from today, thus losing money.
So not simple to do, more worrying that its whole quarters rather than per day. In fact you make it sound quite terrible. I hope you are mistaken.

You loosing money is the BBCs gain, it could be behind the quarterly thing.
Its a few years since I last cancelled, so possibly I suppose its changed. But my historical understanding is cancellations only refund whole quarters remaining, whereas buying a license starts from "today" for a year form then.

rather like VED - cancellations only see whole months refunded, and in some ways it is worse as buying VED anew starts from the beginning of the month when purchased. eg buy VED on 30/8/2022 sees the VED start on 01/08/2022.

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”