Can or Can't

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
Rhyd6
Lemon Quarter

Can or Can't

Post by Rhyd6 »

A question for the legal eagles but without any discussion on the morality or other wise of situation.
At our KNC (Knit, Natter & Cake) meeting yesterday someone asked if the family of the man murdered by someone who had not been deported because of intervention by others could sue the people who stopped him being deported.
No-ne could come up with an answer though a lot thought that if actions have consequences then someone who stuck their oar in should suffer some fallout.
I was going to post this on the legal board but as it's just a general question I thought it was more suited to an informal pub discussion.

R6

didds
Lemon Quarter

Re: Can or Can't

Post by didds »

I suppose the pertinent question is "Sue for what exactly" ?

88V8
Lemon Quarter

Post by 88V8 »

Rhyd6 wrote:At our KNC (Knit, Natter & Cake) meeting yesterday someone asked if the family of the man murdered by someone who had not been deported because of intervention by others could sue the people who stopped him being deported.
I think it would fall foul of 'remoteness of damage' in that the murder was too unlikely an outcome to be reasonably foreseeable.

Identifying 'the people' could also be a problem... the lawyers, the activists, the judges?

V8

Gerry557
Lemon Quarter

Post by Gerry557 »

I don't know about 'remoteness of damage' but a convicted criminal commiting another crime and a serious one isn't unexpected.

I don't know the individual involved but some come from areas, backgrounds and cultures that don't value life as much as the general public here do.

If it was my relative I would be pushing it.

dionaeamuscipula
Lemon Quarter

Post by dionaeamuscipula »

Rhyd6 wrote:A question for the legal eagles but without any discussion on the morality or other wise of situation.
At our KNC (Knit, Natter & Cake) meeting yesterday someone asked if the family of the man murdered by someone who had not been deported because of intervention by others could sue the people who stopped him being deported.
No-ne could come up with an answer though a lot thought that if actions have consequences then someone who stuck their oar in should suffer some fallout.
I was going to post this on the legal board but as it's just a general question I thought it was more suited to an informal pub discussion.

R6
In theory yes, they could sue for damages (as a civil case, not a criminal case), but there is zero chance of them being successful, so it would be next to impossible to find someone who would take it on.

If the government is trying to illegally deport someone, is the fault that of the government, or the person making sure that the government is following its own rules?

DM

Rhyd6
Lemon Quarter

Post by Rhyd6 »

Thanks for your answers, we've got the Community Cafe tomorrow, no knitting, more cake, so I'll pass on your thoughts. We're so lucky around here, the most serious crime in our area is when someone pinched a local farmer's log pile, he was less than chuffed.

R6

stewamax
Lemon Quarter

Post by stewamax »

Log rehoming is a venial sin, but what if someone stole all the cake...?

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”