DPD Delivery

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
WrenChasen
2 Lemon pips

DPD Delivery

Post by WrenChasen »

This morning I opened an email from DPD stating Nathan would be delivering my parcel on an all electric vehicle...just as it was announced Britishvolt is considering entering administration. That, together with Tesla slashing its prices, makes me wonder how long DPD's virtue-signalling emails will continue.

Electric vehicles have always seemed to me Utopian; I'd certainly never buy one.

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Re: DPD Delivery

Post by DrFfybes »

Electric vans are probably a good option for local multidrops.

I seem to recall they were very popular with milkmen at one time.

UncleEbenezer
Lemon Half

Post by UncleEbenezer »

DrFfybes wrote:Electric vans are probably a good option for local multidrops.

I believe they still are, where milkmen still exist.

Aren't small electric vehicles (including bikes) part of many delivery companies these days?

didds
Lemon Quarter

Post by didds »

Our local deliveries still use them all over central Wiltshire.

I used to do the Pewsey round in one, back in 2002!

Gerry557
Lemon Quarter

Post by Gerry557 »

WrenChasen wrote:This morning I opened an email from DPD stating Nathan would be delivering my parcel on an all electric vehicle...just as it was announced Britishvolt is considering entering administration. That, together with Tesla slashing its prices, makes me wonder how long DPD's virtue-signalling emails will continue.

Electric vehicles have always seemed to me Utopian; I'd certainly never buy one.
Never say Never!

You might not have a choice soon

servodude
Lemon Half

Post by servodude »

UncleEbenezer wrote:

I believe they still are, where milkmen still exist.

Aren't small electric vehicles (including bikes) part of many delivery companies these days?
Round these parts the "turn and go" e-bikes are a quick and easy way to get someone without an appropriate licence mobile enough to deliver stuff for not very much pay. I recently discovered there are firms that help students obtaining/lease them for the purpose.

WrenChasen
2 Lemon pips

Post by WrenChasen »

Electric vehicles which have dedicated charging facilities at their depots - vans, buses, scooters or whatever - weren't uppermost in my mind. At some point in the next couple of years I foresee having to change my car and I've been looking at my options; nothing I've read or seen so far would persuade me to buy an electric vehicle - hybrid maybe, but not electric.

Is the cut-off year of 2030 for the production of petrol and diesel cars a political nod to climate change or is it based on real science?

swill453
Lemon Half

Post by swill453 »

WrenChasen wrote:Is the cut-off year of 2030 for the production of petrol and diesel cars a political nod to climate change or is it based on real science?
Presumably the science would say we should have done it decades ago.

Scott.

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Post by DrFfybes »

WrenChasen wrote:Electric vehicles which have dedicated charging facilities at their depots - vans, buses, scooters or whatever - weren't uppermost in my mind. At some point in the next couple of years I foresee having to change my car and I've been looking at my options

Get a job at DPD - you can charge your car at work whilst the vans are out delivering :)

Sounds frivolous but if I had a fleet of electric vans and a depot full of chargers, I'd certainly be looking at payback options.

Paul

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”