Why the L?

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
Clitheroekid
Lemon Quarter

Why the L?

Post by Clitheroekid »

Prompted by the wolf thread I've often wondered why there is an `L' in `LGBTQ'.

As I understand it, the `L' stands for Lesbian, but the next letter is `G', which stands for `Gay', and as the term gay obviously encompasses lesbians is the `L' not therefore superfluous?

88V8
Lemon Quarter

Re: Why the L?

Post by 88V8 »

Clitheroekid wrote:As I understand it, the `L' stands for Lesbian, but the next letter is `G', which stands for `Gay', and as the term gay obviously encompasses lesbians is the `L' not therefore superfluous?
I've always regarded lesbians as a pretty dour lot.

V8

swill453
Lemon Half

Post by swill453 »

Clitheroekid wrote:Prompted by the wolf thread I've often wondered why there is an `L' in `LGBTQ'.

As I understand it, the `L' stands for Lesbian, but the next letter is `G', which stands for `Gay', and as the term gay obviously encompasses lesbians is the `L' not therefore superfluous?
Technically maybe, but if those who choose to label themselves that way prefer it, why make an issue of it? Does everything have to be pedantically, optimally, accurate?

Scott.

Lootman
The full Lemon

Post by Lootman »

Clitheroekid wrote:Prompted by the wolf thread I've often wondered why there is an `L' in `LGBTQ'.

Well for that matter the Q (queer) is redundant since it is a synonym for G (gay), although I feel sure that someone will be along to point out some subtle difference.

Then there is LGBTQIA+ just to make it more interesting, the I standing for "intersex" and the A standing for "asexual"

https://gaycenter.org/about/lgbtq/

It's a minefield out there. And that is before you get to the use of pronouns.

XFool
The full Lemon

Post by XFool »

Just guessing. Possibly to be as inclusive as possible?

While lesbian is gay, lesbian definitely implies female (used to!), gay definitely includes males. So gay females and gay males are included with "LG".

servodude
Lemon Half

Post by servodude »

XFool wrote:

Just guessing. Possibly to be as inclusive as possible?

While lesbian is gay, lesbian definitely implies female (used to!), gay definitely includes males. So gay females and gay males are included with "LG".
I think that's pretty much my understanding.

Historically lesbians were treated quite differently from gay men and the acronym coined for organisations to identity that they were not excluding them and demonstrate solidarity.

Urbandreamer
Lemon Quarter

Post by Urbandreamer »

XFool wrote:While lesbian is gay, lesbian definitely implies female (used to!), ....
Just to correct a point, lesbian use to define someone from Lesbos. You know the Greek island.

I've always been confused why that sexual preference is named after that Geek state, but males are not named after Thebes. Given the Sacred band of Thebes.

But then "It's all Greek to me".

Ps, points for finding the original use (quote).

UncleEbenezer
Lemon Half

Post by UncleEbenezer »

Urbandreamer wrote: I've always been confused why that sexual preference is named after that Geek state,
Geeks aren't getting it any other way?

(sorry, couldn't resist).

moorfield
Lemon Quarter

Post by moorfield »

So what about girls who want boys who like boys to be girls who do boys like they're girls who do girls like they're boys ?

dionaeamuscipula
Lemon Quarter

Post by dionaeamuscipula »

moorfield wrote:So what about girls who want boys who like boys to be girls who do boys like they're girls who do girls like they're boys ?
I'd have to say that was an example of Blurred lines

DM (sorry)

didds
Lemon Quarter

Post by didds »

Urbandreamer wrote:
Just to correct a point, lesbian use to define someone from Lesbos. You know the Greek island.
whereas ISTR Trivial Pursuit back in the 80s described such people as Lesbosians.
A google suggests "lesbian" does appear to be as correct as any other. Though then again possibly such people are actually called after the capital of Lesbos, Mitilini, are thus and named Mitilineous

hey ho.

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”