Impostors Syndrome

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Impostors Syndrome

Post by AsleepInYorkshire »

CEO Secrets: Sarah Willingham on impostor syndrome

In 1975 my Mum got a job cleaning at the NAAFI on the military base my Dad was assigned to. The extra income was needed to pay for the recently acquired mortgage on our first home. We'd previously lived in married quarters.

By 1977 my Mum was the manager of the establishment.

In 1979 my Dad retired from the RAF at the age of 40, having done 24 years service for Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth II. We moved from East Yorkshire to Chase Terrace so that Dad could get a job sweeping the floors in a factory. By 1981 Dad was the assistant manager.

They bought a small business in 1984 and when Dad handed his notice in he was asked to stay in post and they would make him Manager.

He declined.

In 1990 Dad passed away at the grand old age of 51 :(

Neither Mum, nor Dad seemed to suffer with imposter syndrome, or at least not that I could see. They were grounded, down to earth, hard working people.

I don't think I suffer with impostor syndrome myself but I suspect I have a terrible habit of undervaluing my skills and abilities. Is that the same?

AiY(D)

servodude
Lemon Half

Re: Impostors Syndrome

Post by servodude »

AsleepInYorkshire wrote: I don't think I suffer with impostor syndrome myself but I suspect I have a terrible habit of undervaluing my skills and abilities. Is that the same?
I think it's a feature of the Dunning-Kruger curve that once you properly grok something you expect others to also
https://www.verywellmind.com/an-overvie ... ct-4160740
Top-scoring individuals know that they are better than the average, but they are not convinced of how superior their performance is to others. The problem, in this case, is not that experts don't know how well-informed they are; they tend to believe that everyone else is also knowledgeable.
-sd

MrFoolish
Lemon Quarter

Post by MrFoolish »

Have you never run into imposter syndrome in the moment, where you run into a work related problem and you think you'll never be able to solve it?

It often happens with me. Almost always I find the solution. But it's rinse and repeat the next time.

servodude
Lemon Half

Post by servodude »

MrFoolish wrote:Have you never run into imposter syndrome in the moment, where you run into a work related problem and you think you'll never be able to solve it?

It often happens with me. Almost always I find the solution. But it's rinse and repeat the next time.
You're a hairdressing assistant? ;)

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”