Keep warm

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
swill453
Lemon Half

Keep warm

Post by swill453 »

Those of us over 60 can spend November and December in Asda:
Throughout November and December we're offering people aged 60 and over the chance to enjoy soup, a roll and unlimited tea and coffees for just £1 in any of our 205 cafes.
https://corporate.asda.com/20221006/1-m ... nitiatives

Scott.

AsleepInYorkshire
Lemon Half

Re: Keep warm

Post by AsleepInYorkshire »

swill453 wrote:Those of us over 60 can spend November and December in Asda:
Throughout November and December we're offering people aged 60 and over the chance to enjoy soup, a roll and unlimited tea and coffees for just £1 in any of our 205 cafes.

Scott.
The only thing that's going to be more over-run is the Russian positions :lol:

AiY(D)

Lootman
The full Lemon

Post by Lootman »

I see that London ASDA stores won't be offering this, so I doubt that the pressure on my local public library will be relieved.

Mike4
Lemon Half

Post by Mike4 »

Scott.
Christ on a bike, I'm 67 and don't consider myself old, let alone in need of soup for a quid and to while away a day in an Asda café to keep warm. Shock of my life the day I pushed a tenner across the counter to get my BP tabs and the chemist pushed it back saying 'You don't have to pay, you're 60 now"!

Worse, I still don't know what I want to do for a career when I grow up.

Lootman
The full Lemon

Post by Lootman »

Mike4 wrote:I'm 67 and don't consider myself old, let alone in need of soup for a quid and to while away a day in an Asda café to keep warm. Shock of my life the day I pushed a tenner across the counter to get my BP tabs and the chemist pushed it back saying 'You don't have to pay, you're 60 now"!
It is a similar feeling the first time someone offers you a seat on a bus or tube train.

My first reaction was to almost be offended at the idea that i might appear to be weak and frail. Then I realised that it was an empathetic gesture. I still declined, but with gratitude.

Squatting at Asda all day would be a step too far, however. Now if Waitrose offer it, I might consider . . . :D

Mike4
Lemon Half

Post by Mike4 »

Lootman wrote:
Mike4 wrote:I'm 67 and don't consider myself old, let alone in need of soup for a quid and to while away a day in an Asda café to keep warm. Shock of my life the day I pushed a tenner across the counter to get my BP tabs and the chemist pushed it back saying 'You don't have to pay, you're 60 now"!
It is a similar feeling the first time someone offers you a seat on a bus or tube train.

My first reaction was to almost be offended at the idea that i might appear to be weak and frail. Then I realised that it was an empathetic gesture. I still declined, but with gratitude.

Squatting at Asda all day would be a step too far, however. Now if Waitrose offer it, I might consider . . . :D
Lol, exactly how I feel too. Waitrose (and M&S Food Hall) are the only supermarkets I feel comfortable in, which is weird because I'm not posh. I fact I get disapproving stares quite often and people sometimes swerve to avoid me! But I quite enjoy dressing like a loser and letting people judge and make assumptions.

Friend of mine saw a really dodgy looking trampy geezer in Waitrose a while back who outclassed me a treat! She watched him stagger out and get into the brand new Bentley she'd parked next to, and drive off.

UncleEbenezer
Lemon Half

Post by UncleEbenezer »

Mike4 wrote:

Scott.
Christ on a bike, I'm 67 and don't consider myself old, let alone in need of soup for a quid and to while away a day in an Asda café to keep warm. Shock of my life the day I pushed a tenner across the counter to get my BP tabs and the chemist pushed it back saying 'You don't have to pay, you're 60 now"!

Well, if the soup and roll are half-decent, that's bloomin' great value.

If I lived near an Asda, I might be tempted to shop at lunchtime and indulge in their offer.

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Post by AF62 »

swill453 wrote:Those of us over 60 can spend November and December in Asda
I prefer my over 60s plan that is already booked - off to the airport in November and head south to the sun only returning in March when the daffodils are thinking of appearing.

didds
Lemon Quarter

Post by didds »

clearly nobody under the age of 60 will have any issues staying warm and making ends meet.I appreciate this is a warm hearted gesture by ASDA - Im just personally uncomfortable with such a arbitarary age cutoff.

Im 60 . Can I sit in ASDA's cafe and get free tea and coffee top ups all days and give them to the homeless and poor under 60 all day?

chrissyr
2 Lemon pips

Post by chrissyr »

I'm only 59 but maybe I can get a dodgy ID off the dark Web to say I'm older ;)

Rhyd6
Lemon Quarter

Post by Rhyd6 »

I think most of us on the board are in the position of not needing to take up Asda'a offer but I was at our local community cafe this morning and one or two people who live on their own were rather pleased about it. As one chap said "Soup and coffee for a £1 and somewhere warm to sit and plenty of people to chat to, what's not to like". Made me feel mean for thinking it a gimmick.

R6

Lootman
The full Lemon

Post by Lootman »

Rhyd6 wrote:I think most of us on the board are in the position of not needing to take up Asda'a offer but I was at our local community cafe this morning and one or two people who live on their own were rather pleased about it. As one chap said "Soup and coffee for a £1 and somewhere warm to sit and plenty of people to chat to, what's not to like". Made me feel mean for thinking it a gimmick.
The cynic in me thinks that Asda is betting that if people spend a few hours in an Asda store then they will probably buy some other stuff.

I recall when my local Waitrose offered free tea and coffee to loyalty members and, again, the marketing theory was that they would make money on the deal.

Within a few hundred metres of my house there are a few places that offer "tea and a chat" to those who are old, lonely, poor etc. One of them is a church that also runs a food bank. My wife donates stuff to them from time to time. There is actually a lot of such generosity and services for those in need, it seems.

XFool
The full Lemon

Post by XFool »

Mike4 wrote:Christ on a bike, I'm 67 and don't consider myself old, let alone in need of soup for a quid and to while away a day in an Asda café to keep warm. Shock of my life the day I pushed a tenner across the counter to get my BP tabs and the chemist pushed it back saying 'You don't have to pay, you're 60 now"!

I still recall the day a young women offered me her seat on the tube! :(

I turned her down. :)

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”