Temperture in the Home

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
88V8
Lemon Quarter

Re: Temperture in the Home

Post by 88V8 »

When we had ch, the stat was set to 61F (16C). One can acclimatise.

In our current cottage if the temp is below 62F when we come to sit down of a winter evening, I light the woodburner, otherwise not.

Wear a T-shirt, a shirt and a woolly and two pairs of socks and you'll be fine.

V8

GoSeigen
Lemon Quarter

Post by GoSeigen »

We've traditionally set our winter indoor temperature to 18ºC and summer to 27ºC (when living in hot places with air conditioner). Found that comfortable enough.

15ºC is a bit cold for my liking but bearable with warm clothing and perfectly acceptable overnight when in bed.

GS

Howyoudoin
Lemon Quarter

Post by Howyoudoin »

This thread reminds me of the old adage that red wine should be served at ‘room temperature’. And by that they mean a minimum of 12 degrees and a maximum of 18 degrees.

So I’m guessing that room temperature is in the time of Henry VIII.

HYD

UncleEbenezer
Lemon Half

Post by UncleEbenezer »

Howyoudoin wrote:This thread reminds me of the old adage that red wine should be served at ‘room temperature’. And by that they mean a minimum of 12 degrees and a maximum of 18 degrees.

HYD
Was Henry a noted connoisseur of the vine?

Gersemi
Lemon Slice

Post by Gersemi »

My smart meter says the living room temperature is 16.5C - I am finding this slightly cold, but I expect it to warm up a bit during the day (as it did yesterday) to around 18.5C, which is Ok for me. I am wearing a light jumper, so can layer up a bit more. I did though have to tell my husband off for opening the patio door! (It was sunny at the time, but really, I'm hoping for the house to heat up not cool down). I live in the North West of England and I'm hoping not to put the central heating on before I go on holiday at the beginning of October, but if it gets below 16C during the day then I think I will have to put it on. I prefer to have the house cooler at night.

Howyoudoin
Lemon Quarter

Post by Howyoudoin »

UncleEbenezer wrote:
Howyoudoin wrote:This thread reminds me of the old adage that red wine should be served at ‘room temperature’. And by that they mean a minimum of 12 degrees and a maximum of 18 degrees.

HYD
Was Henry a noted connoisseur of the vine?
https://tudorhistory.org/blog/2010/04/2 ... ton-court/

The wine is being imported from the same area King Henry got most of his wine: Gascony. Certainly Henry’s court had a taste for the stuff. The monarch had up to 15,000 gallons of wine in his cellar at Hampton Court at any one time. It must have been a substantial item in the royal accounts because in Tudor times, ordinary wine was, in relative terms, around three and a half times more expensive than it is now.

Mike4
Lemon Half

Post by Mike4 »

88V8 wrote:When we had ch, the stat was set to 61F (16C). One can acclimatise.

In our current cottage if the temp is below 62F when we come to sit down of a winter evening, I light the woodburner, otherwise not.

Wear a T-shirt, a shirt and a woolly and two pairs of socks and you'll be fine.

V8
And nothing else?

Sounds like you might scare any visitors!

:lol:

scotview
Lemon Quarter

Post by scotview »

Mike4 wrote:
And nothing else?

Read that when taken a mouthful of coffee, nearly sprayed my monitor !!

pje16
Lemon Half

Post by pje16 »

scotview wrote: Read that when taken a mouthful of coffee, nearly sprayed my monitor !!
Hope you don't take sugar, that would have made it messier :lol:

Mike4
Lemon Half

Post by Mike4 »

scotview wrote:
Mike4 wrote:
And nothing else?

Read that when taken a mouthful of coffee, nearly sprayed my monitor !!
Lol!

Or as someone on another forum I frequent says, "Oh no, that's another new keyboard I need!"

88V8
Lemon Quarter

Post by 88V8 »

Mike4 wrote:
88V8 wrote:Wear a T-shirt, a shirt and a woolly and two pairs of socks and you'll be fine.
And nothing else?
Sounds like you might scare any visitors! :lol:
One pair of socks is strategic ;)

V8

scotview
Lemon Quarter

Post by scotview »

88V8 wrote: One pair of socks is strategic ;)

V8
Socks eh ?

Golf tomorrow, the white, ankle summer socks come off today and the Alpaca socks go on tomorrow. Aye, the years ga'n in, richt enough.

pje16
Lemon Half

Post by pje16 »

scotview wrote:
Golf tomorrow, the white, ankle summer socks come off today and the Alpaca socks go on tomorrow. Aye, the years ga'n in, richt enough.
As long as they're not a pair of these :lol:
https://www.etsy.com/uk/listing/9877773 ... -1-1&bes=1

baldchap
Lemon Slice

Post by baldchap »

Howyoudoin wrote:I’ve spent the last 20 years in top floor flats so can’t handle anything less than 22 degrees. Happy to spend more on gas and less on things like car expenses, where I don’t have one.

HYD
I was in the middle floor of a 3 storey block of 6 apartments. The rest were all old ladies + 1 cat lady. Never ever had the heaters on, and usually had the windows open.
Thanks Ladies.

UncleEbenezer
Lemon Half

Post by UncleEbenezer »

baldchap wrote:
Howyoudoin wrote:I’ve spent the last 20 years in top floor flats so can’t handle anything less than 22 degrees. Happy to spend more on gas and less on things like car expenses, where I don’t have one.

HYD
I was in the middle floor of a 3 storey block of 6 apartments. The rest were all old ladies + 1 cat lady. Never ever had the heaters on, and usually had the windows open.
Thanks Ladies.
Quite right too. Fresh air is necessary for the body to regulate its temperature sufficiently to deal with winter temperatures.

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”