Football

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
Leothebear
Lemon Quarter

Re: Football

Post by Leothebear »

dealtn wrote:
Leothebear wrote:I've always felt that minute's silences must be a nightmare for players - of any sport. You've just had your team talk, psyked yourself up for the game, completed your proper warmup to avoid cramp and injury - and then they make you stand still in silence for a minute. At least during applause you can stay active.

I suppose the poor lambs could spend that minute pondering whether to get a Ferrari or a McLaren with their next week's wage.
They could do (although few would be able to afford to on a weeks wages). More likely, like any other professional, they will be focussed on the job they are about to undertake.

Out of interest what job do you (or did you) have? Were you in the top 1% in that profession? How did you feel when others with limited knowledge made assumptions and ridiculed your professionalism and performance?
I'm afraid I won't say to preserve my anonymity here.

I will say that banter is partly what this board is about and not everything should be taken too seriously.
Of course a sense of humour helps.

didds
Lemon Quarter

Post by didds »

Leothebear wrote: Of course a sense of humour helps.
now where is the fun in that?

;-)

Howyoudoin
Lemon Quarter

Post by Howyoudoin »

Leothebear wrote:
dealtn wrote: They could do (although few would be able to afford to on a weeks wages). More likely, like any other professional, they will be focussed on the job they are about to undertake.

Out of interest what job do you (or did you) have? Were you in the top 1% in that profession? How did you feel when others with limited knowledge made assumptions and ridiculed your professionalism and performance?
:lol: :lol: :lol:

HYD

dealtn
Lemon Half

Post by dealtn »

Leothebear wrote:
dealtn wrote: They could do (although few would be able to afford to on a weeks wages). More likely, like any other professional, they will be focussed on the job they are about to undertake.

I will say that banter is partly what this board is about and not everything should be taken too seriously.
Of course a sense of humour helps.
Well I struggle with spotting humour, here or elsewhere. Can't say its obviously funny to me to denigrate anyone's professionalism but if that's how you, or others, get your kicks it probably says more about you than your targets.

dealtn
Lemon Half

Post by dealtn »

dealtn wrote:Immaculately supported minute's silence at last nights game, followed by a singing of the National Anthem and 2 rounds of enthusiastic applause, possibly the loudest I have ever heard as part of a game's opening.

Might not have been replicated everywhere, of course, but it was an impressive collective response from the multi-thousand crowd.
Another impressive collective response yesterday with minute's silence, national anthem, and the 70th minute, all combining dignity with large and lengthy applauses (and no obvious dissenting or protests). Having now seen both home and away responses I can be proud of my industry in how this occasion is being marked across multi-thousand attended events. A much reduced police presence yesterday, and the game needed specific risk assessing and consultation with multiple 3rd parties to go ahead, but held in one of the best atmospheres for a while.

All back to normal from Tuesday.

Leothebear
Lemon Quarter

Post by Leothebear »

Moderator Message:
Personal insults removed. Please play the ball ;)
Gryffron

Leothebear
Lemon Quarter

Post by Leothebear »

Well I struggle with spotting humour, here or elsewhere.
Agreed.
Can't say its obviously funny to me to denigrate anyone's professionalism
May I refer you back to your first statement. Did I really denigrate anyone's professionalism?
but if that's how you, or others, get your kicks it probably says more about you than your targets.
Yes to you I'm sure it does.

Hallucigenia
Lemon Quarter

Post by Hallucigenia »

Howyoudoin wrote:Very unlikely and already tested on Thursday night shortly after the announcement when West Ham played Bucharest at the London Stadium where it was observed impeccably.

The only exception I can think of would be Liverpool fans.

HYD
Oh, there's at least one more, and only Celtic fans would go to the trouble of making a special banner. AIUI there's been a couple of instances of counter-singing in Scotland, even outside the green bits of Glasgow.

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football ... ii-3847378

servodude
Lemon Half

Post by servodude »

Hallucigenia wrote:
Howyoudoin wrote:Very unlikely and already tested on Thursday night shortly after the announcement when West Ham played Bucharest at the London Stadium where it was observed impeccably.

The only exception I can think of would be Liverpool fans.

HYD
Oh, there's at least one more, and only Celtic fans would go to the trouble of making a special banner. AIUI there's been a couple of instances of counter-singing in Scotland, even outside the green bits of Glasgow.

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/football ... ii-3847378
It does show a level of commitment that one might not have expected from that particular knuckle dragging weegie sect..

the result was pure karma ;) - thanks ma'am!

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”