Mourners queue for 30 hours

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
Adamski
Lemon Slice

Mourners queue for 30 hours

Post by Adamski »

I know we love queues but this is a bit mindblowing.

My wife is glued to her ipad watching it.

I find it bizarre :lol: :lol: but each to there own i guess. Just to look at flags over a box :roll:

I'll take time out from the forelock tugging. Queenie fair enough, but not so keen on rest of them.

Howyoudoin
Lemon Quarter

Re: Mourners queue for 30 hours

Post by Howyoudoin »

Adamski wrote:I know we love queues but this is a bit mindblowing.

My wife is glued to her ipad watching it.

I find it bizarre :lol: :lol: but each to there own i guess. Just to look at flags over a box :roll:

I'll take time out from the forelock tugging. Queenie fair enough, but not so keen on rest of them.
No one is queuing for 30 hours at the moment. That’s an estimated wait if the queue reaches 10 miles. It’s just under 3 miles currently and people at the front saying that they have been queuing for 8 to 9 hours.

I can understand why people are doing it. It’s a once in a lifetime event and people in the queue actually seem to be enjoying the experience with the convivial atmosphere and amazing London views en route.

HYD

Mike4
Lemon Half

Post by Mike4 »

Swerving off at a tangent, I've neither seen nor heard any mention of what happens to the box during the funeral. Presumably she is to be buried not cremated? And if correct, is she to be interred inside Westminster Abbey, or somewhere else? I've not noticed them digging a new grace in my village churchyard, for example....

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Post by kiloran »

Mike4 wrote:Swerving off at a tangent, I've neither seen nor heard any mention of what happens to the box during the funeral. Presumably she is to be buried not cremated? And if correct, is she to be interred inside Westminster Abbey, or somewhere else? I've not noticed them digging a new grace in my village churchyard, for example....
I believe she is off to Windsor Castle to be alongside Philip

--kiloran

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Post by mc2fool »

Mike4 wrote:Swerving off at a tangent, I've neither seen nor heard any mention of what happens to the box during the funeral. Presumably she is to be buried not cremated? And if correct, is she to be interred inside Westminster Abbey, or somewhere else? I've not noticed them digging a new grace in my village churchyard, for example....
Buried in St George's Chapel in Windsor Castle, next to Philip. https://www.google.com/search?q=where+w ... +be+buried

bungeejumper
Lemon Half

Post by bungeejumper »

terminal7
Lemon Quarter

Post by terminal7 »

Is Heathrow Airport in charge of the queuing? There's your answer.

T7

WrenChasen
2 Lemon pips

Post by WrenChasen »

Queues and crowds: best avoided at all times (if possible) in my book, even in historical times such as the present. Everyone's different, of course.

Going off at a tangent for a moment, last April I and thousands of other motorists and their passengers spent over eight hours at a standstill on the M4 near Swindon. Apparently, there was a "jumper" on one of the bridges. Having witnessed some real distress and upsetting scenes that afternoon, I confess the previous compassion I've felt for people so ill they'd consider throwing themselves off a bridge has evaporated somewhat.

JohnB
Lemon Quarter

Post by JohnB »

Documentaries always say 'people queued for hours to pay their respects'. Some people want to say they were those people.

UncleEbenezer
Lemon Half

Post by UncleEbenezer »

WrenChasen wrote:Queues and crowds: best avoided at all times (if possible) in my book, even in historical times such as the present. Everyone's different, of course.

Going off at a tangent for a moment, last April I and thousands of other motorists and their passengers spent over eight hours at a standstill on the M4 near Swindon. Apparently, there was a "jumper" on one of the bridges. Having witnessed some real distress and upsetting scenes that afternoon, I confess the previous compassion I've felt for people so ill they'd consider throwing themselves off a bridge has evaporated somewhat.
'Twas April when my would-be train was cancelled due to a suicide on the line, and I had to travel a different route. Something over two hours delay, which meant I could claim my money back.

I always thought April was the cheerful end of the year as daylight and life are flooding back all around ... evidently the suicides think otherwise. Hmm, Mahler was right.

SalvorHardin
Lemon Quarter

Post by SalvorHardin »

An Australian reporter for ABC News talks to a member of the public in the queue. She gets quite a surprise when he tells her who he is...

https://order-order.com/2022/09/15/watc ... black-rod/

csearle
Lemon Quarter

Post by csearle »

Moderator Message:
A few rather distasteful/disrespectful posts have been removed. Even if you aren't a monarchist please remember this is someone's family member you are discussing, and that someone will be upset at the moment. - Thanks Chris
Moderator Message:
PS Further such posts will suffer the same fate.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Post by Dod101 »

I think this whole thread is pointless. If people want to queue for x hours that is up to them. We should not be criticising them for it and in any case no one as far as I can see has queued for anything like 30 hours so that is totally inaccurate.

Dod

didds
Lemon Quarter

Post by didds »

Dod101 wrote:I think this whole thread is pointless. If people want to queue for x hours that is up to them. We should not be criticising them for it and in any case no one as far as I can see has queued for anything like 30 hours so that is totally inaccurate.

Dod

Indeed. A friend queued for a fraction of that time - 5 hours - yesterday.

scotview
Lemon Quarter

Post by scotview »

doolally
Lemon Slice

Post by doolally »

Dod101 wrote:I think this whole thread is pointless. If people want to queue for x hours that is up to them. We should not be criticising them for it and in any case no one as far as I can see has queued for anything like 30 hours so that is totally inaccurate.

Dod
Maybe not totally inaccurate, Dod. I suspect the very first people in the queue may have been there for that length of time, before they moved towards Westminster when the lying in state commenced.
doolally

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”