Tax defaulters

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
Clitheroekid
Lemon Quarter

Tax defaulters

Post by Clitheroekid »

I was intrigued to discover that the Government publish a list of tax defaulters, naming and shaming the individuals / companies involved, and detailing both the amounts of undeclared tax and the penalties charged.

Some of the figures are quite eye-watering - for example, the first scoundrel on the list, a Mr Brian Morton, apparently failed to declare a capital gain on selling some land, and was hit with tax of £1,845,958.24 and penalties of £922,979.12 :shock:

It's difficult to imagine how some of the amounts could possibly have accrued. For example, there's a Sergiu-Ionut Oniciuc, from Wembley, described as a `labourer', who between 6 April 2018 and 5 April 2021 managed to rack up a tax liability of £738,687.03, and penalties of £517,080.91. That means that he must have earned at least £1.5m in 3 years - I can only say that he must be a jolly hard worker.

It would be interesting to know how many of the people on the list have actually paid up. There seem to be a disproportionate number of scallywags with East European names, but I suppose if you can just return to Albania / Romania / Lithuania / wherever the chances of HMRC ever being able to enforce against you would be somewhere between nil and zero.

Hours (or at least a few minutes) of fun seeing if you can spot any of your chums ...

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... defaulters

anon155742
Lemon Slice

Re: Tax defaulters

Post by anon155742 »

At least it has diversity box ticked

stevensfo
Lemon Quarter

Post by stevensfo »

Clitheroekid wrote:I was intrigued to discover that the Government publish a list of tax defaulters, naming and shaming the individuals / companies involved, and detailing both the amounts of undeclared tax and the penalties charged.

Some of the figures are quite eye-watering - for example, the first scoundrel on the list, a Mr Brian Morton, apparently failed to declare a capital gain on selling some land, and was hit with tax of £1,845,958.24 and penalties of £922,979.12 :shock:

It's difficult to imagine how some of the amounts could possibly have accrued. For example, there's a Sergiu-Ionut Oniciuc, from Wembley, described as a `labourer', who between 6 April 2018 and 5 April 2021 managed to rack up a tax liability of £738,687.03, and penalties of £517,080.91. That means that he must have earned at least £1.5m in 3 years - I can only say that he must be a jolly hard worker.

It would be interesting to know how many of the people on the list have actually paid up. There seem to be a disproportionate number of scallywags with East European names, but I suppose if you can just return to Albania / Romania / Lithuania / wherever the chances of HMRC ever being able to enforce against you would be somewhere between nil and zero.

Hours (or at least a few minutes) of fun seeing if you can spot any of your chums ...

https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... defaulters
but I suppose if you can just return to Albania / Romania / Lithuania / wherever the chances of HMRC ever being able to enforce against you would be somewhere between nil and zero.

I read a few forums for ex-pats and surprisingly, assuming that the countries are part of the CRS (Common Reporting Standards) the chances of them being caught seem to be increasing every day. If the defaulters are tax-resident in Albania..etc, the authorities can simply ask HMRC for their past financial records and launch an investigation. The defaulters than have to decide which country has the smallest fines/comfiest prison cells. 8-)

Steve

pje16
Lemon Half

Post by pje16 »

Isn't publishing home addresses with postcodes against GDPR regs
just a thought (may be wrong)

Edit
Yep looks like it is
https://www.which.co.uk/consumer-rights ... T2s2Y2ffXd

Tut tut tut

pje16
Lemon Half

Post by pje16 »

Snorvey wrote:
pje16 wrote:Isn't publishing home addresses with postcodes against GDPR regs

Edit
Yep looks like it is

Tut tut tut
I would suspect you lose your rights when you are a convicted fraudster
You should lose a whole lot more than that

didn't you know that what lawyers make a lot of their money from that sort of thing

the poor little villian still has rights you now (how can i show a sneer when I type)

Mike4
Lemon Half

Post by Mike4 »

I missed the deadline for submitting my VAT return towards the end of last year, but I seem to have escaped being publicly shamed in CK's list. Phew!!

pje16
Lemon Half

Post by pje16 »

The list is for "deliberate" sinners Mike
whatever that means

UncleEbenezer
Lemon Half

Post by UncleEbenezer »

Private Eye often names and shames tax defaulters.

Only they often include a little more information. Like money also owed to innocent victims of fraud or rip-off, or to government in Covid bounceback loans. And sometimes accounting and other reporting tricks used.

Oh, and their often-substantial Party Donations.

Redmires
Lemon Slice

Post by Redmires »

Private Eye also reports that HMRC investigation staff have been cut to the bone so the chances of catching anyone is slim, including the Covid fraudsters.

pje16
Lemon Half

Post by pje16 »

Redmires wrote:Private Eye also reports that HMRC investigation staff have been cut to the bone so the chances of catching anyone is slim, including the Covid fraudsters.
UK Gov should create a new team to nab Covid fraudsters
pay them 10% of what they recover, would be a very well paid job
where do I sign up?

anon155742
Lemon Slice

Post by anon155742 »

pje16 wrote: where do I sign up?
Albania

Maroochydore
Lemon Slice

Post by Maroochydore »

Clitheroekid wrote:Hours (or at least a few minutes) of fun seeing if you can spot any of your chums ...
Not a chum but noticed one Emile William Ivanhoe Heskey - Football development officer - owed £92,161 plus £41,930 penalty.

A bit of research shows said Emile William Ivanhoe Heskey - ex footballer - had an alleged net worth of US$ 21 million. https://www.celebsmoney.com/net-worth/emile-heskey/ and other similar sites.

Must have overlooked that tax demand.

pje16
Lemon Half

Post by pje16 »

Maroochydore wrote: Must have overlooked that tax demand.
What a dope :roll:

didds
Lemon Quarter

Post by didds »

well thats one thing Heskey didnt fall over to do...

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Post by AF62 »

Clitheroekid wrote: There seem to be a disproportionate number of scallywags with East European names, but I suppose if you can just return to Albania / Romania / Lithuania / wherever the chances of HMRC ever being able to enforce against you would be somewhere between nil and zero.
You only get onto the list if you don’t fully disclose the details of your misdeeds so those who do just up-sticks and disappear are definitely going to appear, but those who can’t do that are more likely to cooperate even just to reduce the penalty.
Clitheroekid wrote: It's difficult to imagine how some of the amounts could possibly have accrued. For example, there's a Sergiu-Ionut Oniciuc, from Wembley, described as a `labourer', who between 6 April 2018 and 5 April 2021 managed to rack up a tax liability of £738,687.03, and penalties of £517,080.91. That means that he must have earned at least £1.5m in 3 years - I can only say that he must be a jolly hard worker.
‘Labourer’ - possibly gangmaster not declaring VAT or NI on their ‘employees’.

Edit
Yep looks like it is

Tut tut tut
The law specifically allows HMRC to do this - http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/gds/ch/attachmen ... ion_94.htm

pje16
Lemon Half

Post by pje16 »

AF62 wrote: The law specifically allows HMRC to do this - http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/gds/ch/attachmen ... ion_94.htm
Good knowledge -thank you
every day is a schoolday ;)

Lootman
The full Lemon

Post by Lootman »

AF62 wrote:

Edit
Yep looks like it is

Tut tut tut
The law specifically allows HMRC to do this - http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/gds/ch/attachmen ... ion_94.htm
No doubt although I question the wisdom of doing this. If it results in reputational damage then that might affect the ability of that individual to be employed or to run their business. That in turn has the effect of reducing their income and therefore paradoxically making them less able to pay their tax debt.

It is rather like how throwing a convicted tax evader in prison makes it much harder for him to ever repay the tax. Better to let him work and pay off what he owes.

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Post by DrFfybes »

Lootman wrote: No doubt although I question the wisdom of doing this. If it results in reputational damage then that might affect the ability of that individual to be employed or to run their business. That in turn has the effect of reducing their income and therefore paradoxically making them less able to pay their tax debt.

It is rather like how throwing a convicted tax evader in prison makes it much harder for him to ever repay the tax. Better to let him work and pay off what he owes.
OTOH if you are thinking of doing business with someone and know he doesn't even bother to pay the tax man, you might be a bit more cautious about extending credit ot providing materials up front, something you might be more inclined to do with someone who is apparently quite wealthy and therefore "good for it".

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Post by AF62 »

Lootman wrote:
AF62 wrote: The law specifically allows HMRC to do this - http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/gds/ch/attachmen ... ion_94.htm
No doubt although I question the wisdom of doing this. If it results in reputational damage then that might affect the ability of that individual to be employed or to run their business. That in turn has the effect of reducing their income and therefore paradoxically making them less able to pay their tax debt.

As I mentioned before, you only get onto the list if you don't cooperate with HMRC and disclose what you have done, and if someone hasn't cooperated then it is pretty doubtful that they will be making any significant attempts to work off the debt legitimately.

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”