Is this a cottage?

A virtual pub for off topic, light hearted pub related banter and discussion. No trainers
terminal7
Lemon Quarter

Is this a cottage?

Post by terminal7 »

Mike4
Lemon Half

Re: Is this a cottage?

Post by Mike4 »

My guess is it is a four bedroom cottage 10 minutes walk from some castle or other.

What amused me was the idea they were moving into it so the kids could grow up in a 'rural environment'. Or some such term!

Commuter belt between Ascot and Windsor is hardy my idea of rural.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Post by Dod101 »

By Royal standards it is a cottage. Harry’s place is called Frogmore Cottage isn’t it?

Dod

Mike4
Lemon Half

Post by Mike4 »

Dod101 wrote:By Royal standards it is a cottage. Harry’s place is called Frogmore Cottage isn’t it?

Dod

I'm not entirely convinced anything counts as a cottage unless it has a thatched roof!

UncleEbenezer
Lemon Half

Post by UncleEbenezer »

Mike4 wrote:
Dod101 wrote:By Royal standards it is a cottage. Harry’s place is called Frogmore Cottage isn’t it?

Dod

I'm not entirely convinced anything counts as a cottage unless it has a thatched roof!
Isn't it technically a house whose front door opens directly into the front room? As opposed to having an entrance hall.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Post by Dod101 »

UncleEbenezer wrote:
Mike4 wrote:
Isn't it technically a house whose front door opens directly into the front room? As opposed to having an entrance hall.
I live in a place called Dod's Cottage. It consists of a stone built place which at one time was exactly as UE describes it, a but and ben as we would call it in Scotland. It now has an extension which is at least twice the size of the original cottage but the name has stuck.

Maybe the same applied to these Royal places.

Dod

marronier
Lemon Slice

Post by marronier »

A cottage was the residence provided by the employer for a farm labourer ( cottar ) who worked on the farm.

In the same vein , a village was the collection of residences provided by the landowner for the villeins ( bonded labourers ).

Gentrification has elevated their meaning for the modern owners.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Post by Dod101 »

marronier wrote:A cottage was the residence provided by the employer for a farm labourer ( cottar ) who worked on the farm.

In the same vein , a village was the collection of residences provided by the landowner for the villeins ( bonded labourers ).

Gentrification has elevated their meaning for the modern owners.
Yes. They used during my lifetime to be called cottar houses. Then of course not that long after the Second World War, farming was mechanised and the need for large numbers of farm labourers disappeared. These cottar houses can still be seen scattered around the Scottish countryside and probably the English as well but on the whole they are now private dwellings, although some in recent years have become holiday houses for short term lets.

My place was at one time a croft rather than a cottar house.

Dod

pje16
Lemon Half

Post by pje16 »

UncleEbenezer wrote: Isn't it technically a house whose front door opens directly into the front room? As opposed to having an entrance hall.
I live in a "cottage" and as @UncleEbenezer says, the door leads straight to the front room.
It could also be a touch of embellishment as it one of eight in a row of terraced houses. :lol:

BhotiPila
2 Lemon pips

Post by BhotiPila »

marronier wrote:A cottage was the residence provided by the employer for a farm labourer ( cottar ) who worked on the farm.
and in the fullness of time gave rise to the term 'cottaging'. . . .

pje16
Lemon Half

Post by pje16 »

I did wonder how long it would before this post went over the cliff edge :lol:

Dod101
The full Lemon

Post by Dod101 »

BhotiPila wrote:
and in the fullness of time gave rise to the term 'cottaging'. . . .
.......which I have never heard of before now.

Dod

Return to “Beerpig's Snug”