Digital Look Data Sheet - Non HYP Share(s) to add

Discussions regarding financial software
Instep
2 Lemon pips

Digital Look Data Sheet - Non HYP Share(s) to add

Post by Instep »

This is nothing to do with HYP, but I add the data below, every time I update my copy of HYPTUS
Can it please be added to the master data sheet for next time. No rush - I am very patient ;)
Thanks
Instep

Code: Select all

/equity/Woodford_Patient_Capital_Trust
Woodford Patient Capital Trust
WPCT
Equity Investment Instruments
WPCT

https://woodfordfunds.com/funds/wpct/trust-facts/

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Re: Digital Look Data Sheet - Non HYP Share(s) to add

Post by kiloran »

I've update the "digital_look_data_sheet.txt" at http://lemonfoolfinancialsoftware.weebl ... op-up.html and it will be included in the next release of HYPTUSS.

Sorry about the delay, my football team just scored a goal and then LMF went down for a few minutes ;)

--kiloran

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Post by Breelander »

kiloran wrote:.. my football team just scored a goal and then LMF went down for a few minutes ;)
Spooky! Don't tell the 'conspiracy theorists'... :)

Instep
2 Lemon pips

Post by Instep »

kiloran wrote:I've update the "digital_look_data_sheet.txt" at http://lemonfoolfinancialsoftware.weebl ... op-up.html and it will be included in the next release of HYPTUSS.

Sorry about the delay, my football team just scored a goal and then LMF went down for a few minutes ;)

--kiloran
No worries! I was watching "Strictly" on catch up.
Thanks.

granretire
2 Lemon pips

Post by granretire »

May I also request the addition of
LTHM, suport services /equity/Latham_James
MTVW, real estate /equity/Mountview_Estate
SKG, general industrial /equity/Smurfit_Kappa_Group
NWBD, Nat West 9% perf /security/13008
IUKD /security/144357
BOI, B of Ireland 13 3/8 /security/54229
If practical, please

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Post by kiloran »

granretire wrote:May I also request the addition of
LTHM, suport services /equity/Latham_James
MTVW, real estate /equity/Mountview_Estate
SKG, general industrial /equity/Smurfit_Kappa_Group
NWBD, Nat West 9% perf /security/13008
IUKD /security/144357
BOI, B of Ireland 13 3/8 /security/54229
If practical, please
I've update the "digital_look_data_sheet.txt" at http://lemonfoolfinancialsoftware.weebl ... op-up.html and it will be included in the next release of HYPTUSS.

--kiloran

granretire
2 Lemon pips

Post by granretire »

Thanks very much - and for yours and Itsallaguess excellent work on this useful tool

granretire
2 Lemon pips

Post by granretire »

Well, I have changed to data sheet to the new version and checked that the tickers I asked for are there, but when I try and add one of the 'new' companies, it doesn't exist in the data sheet! What am I doing wrong? I also note that the facility to enter a letter for the new share doesn't display the share list starting with that letter - it used to in an earlier version.
windows 10, excel 2010

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Post by kiloran »

granretire wrote:Well, I have changed to data sheet to the new version and checked that the tickers I asked for are there, but when I try and add one of the 'new' companies, it doesn't exist in the data sheet! What am I doing wrong? I also note that the facility to enter a letter for the new share doesn't display the share list starting with that letter - it used to in an earlier version.
windows 10, excel 2010
That sounds odd. I'm just about to jump on a plane to fly down to the exotic midlands so my time will be rather limited until the weekend. I'll look at it as and when I can find time.

--kiloran

granretire
2 Lemon pips

Post by granretire »

Welcome to the Midlands - forecast tomorrow is FOG

granretire
2 Lemon pips

Post by granretire »

Well, I have changed to data sheet to the new version and checked that the tickers I asked for are there, but when I try and add one of the 'new' companies, it doesn't exist in the data sheet! What am I doing wrong? I also note that the facility to enter a letter for the new share doesn't display the share list starting with that letter - it used to in an earlier version.
windows 10, excel 2010
For some strange reason I have 'solved' the problem. I reduced the number of companies from 99 to 95 and it all works fine. I went back to the 99 companies and it failed as before, so it wasn't something changed behind the scenes.

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Post by Itsallaguess »

granretire wrote:
For some strange reason I have 'solved' the problem.

I reduced the number of companies from 99 to 95 and it all works fine. I went back to the 99 companies and it failed as before, so it wasn't something changed behind the scenes.
Can you please give a little more detail?

Where did you reduce the number of companies from 99 to 95?

Are you talking about the main HYP portfolio sheet list of holdings?

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

granretire
2 Lemon pips

Post by granretire »

I removed the companies from the HYP sheet - decided I wasn't interesting in them any more. I have no idea why in doing this resulted in the modified DL data sheet being accessed as it should - as opposed to the old version (which wasn't available as it had been overwritten by the updated DL data sheet).
The facility to enter a letter for the new share doesn't display the share list starting with that letter - it used to in an earlier version.
BOI (Bank of Ireland 13.375 pref) came up with a current price 100 times too large - seem to remember this problem occurred with a few shares historically (a Motley Fool discussion). Just duff data from DL, I assume

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Post by Itsallaguess »

granretire wrote:
I removed the companies from the HYP sheet - decided I wasn't interesting in them any more. I have no idea why in doing this resulted in the modified DL data sheet being accessed as it should - as opposed to the old version (which wasn't available as it had been overwritten by the updated DL data sheet).

The facility to enter a letter for the new share doesn't display the share list starting with that letter - it used to in an earlier version.
BOI (Bank of Ireland 13.375 pref) came up with a current price 100 times too large - seem to remember this problem occurred with a few shares historically (a Motley Fool discussion). Just duff data from DL, I assume
Hi there,

I've just done some tests on the default Excel v1.4 download, and done the following without any issues -

1. Opened the 'Add Share' window, pressed the letter 'b' on my keyboard, and the share list jumps to the 'b' related section of the shares list, as expected.

2. Added a HYP portfolio of 116 shares, so over your earlier 99-share limit that seemed to give you problems.

3. Added some new shares to the Digital Look Data Sheet shares-list

4. Went back to my portfolio page, and was able to add the new shares to the HYP portfolio that I added to the Data Sheet in step 3.

The above results seem to go against those found when you carry out similar actions, so I think there must be something else going on.

If you're able to download the latest v1.4 Excel version in it's vanilla form (http://lemonfoolfinancialsoftware.weebl ... op-up.html), and detail some steps that you can use to generate the issues you've found on your own portfolio using that version, then I'll be able to take a look at the issues you're having, but I'm currently unable to replicate the problems, sorry.

If I've misunderstood some of the issues or processes you've been having/using, as detailed by you in your earlier posts, then can you please help to define the specific issues a little more clearly, so I can try to replicate them?

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

granretire
2 Lemon pips

Post by granretire »

OK, Itsallaguess. I'll have a go tomorrow. Though, as I said, the problem seems to have resolved itself - though I don't understand why

granretire
2 Lemon pips

Post by granretire »

Here is a blow by blow account of my actions:
Downloaded v11.4
Opened the excel spreadsheet
Protected view, changed to ‘enable editing’
Macros disabled, changed to ‘enable content’
Saved as excel 97-2003 workbook (*.xls), test.xls
Downloaded latest DL text file and saved it
Opened test.xls, updated DL sheet by selecting whole sheet > data – get external data from text > used latest DL text file to import. Checked test.xls now had new DL sheet
Opened v11.30 to establish how many tickers to copy
Copied the BP line in test.xls the required amount and pasted the tickers from v11.3 in the ticker column of test.xls
Immediately noticed that that the BOI ticker had not been recognised as the company name was displayed as #N/A. Checked that DL sheet of test.xls and BOI was listed
Tried to add a share by typing the letter B, but the list did not go to the Bs
windows10, excel 2010

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Post by Itsallaguess »

granretire wrote:
Here is a blow by blow account of my actions...
Thanks for the great detail with that process granretire, as I think we're getting somewhere now.

I think this is something to do with the way you might be importing the new Digital Look data into the HYPTUSS tool. I've never tried the import process you've been using, so I think it might be worth trying the process I've used in the past to see if that improves things -

Can I please ask that you try the following and let me know how that looks?

1. Download HYPTUSS v1.4 (Excel)

2. Open it, and enable both editing and macros as before

3. Save it as an Excel 97-2003 workbook (*.xls), called test.xls

4. Downloaded the latest DL text file and save it to your desktop

5. Open the test.xls HYPTUSS tool

6. Go to the 'Digital Look Data Sheet' and select all the cells in the worksheet and then press the 'DELETE' button - this should clear the existing DL data from the test.xls file, ready for a clean import of the new data.

7. Right-click the latest DL data text-file on your desktop, and select 'Open with Excel' - if this option is not available to you, then shrink the existing test.xls window slightly, and drag the DL text file into your open Excel window - either of these options should open the new DL text file as a new, separate Excel workbook with the new DL share data in it.

8. Select all the cells on the new DL data Excel workbook (you can select the very top left square on a worksheet to do this, above 1 and to the left of A....), and when they are all highlighted, right-click on them and select 'COPY'

9. Go to your test.xls Excel workbook, and on the currently-empty 'Digital Look Data Sheet' worksheet, select (left-click) the top-left cell A1.

10. With cell A1 selected on your empty test.xls data-sheet, right-click and then select 'PASTE' - this should paste the new data from the DL text file Excel worksheet into your test.xls 'Digital Look Data Sheet' worksheet.

11. SAVE the text.xls spreadsheet at this stage.

12. You can now CLOSE the DL data text file worksheet if you like, as we don't need it any further

13. Now try transferring your portfolio over, into the test.xls file, as previously, and then carry out the BP-line-drag-down as you've done earlier, and copy over your existing portfolio tickers from your old HYPTUSS version.

14. Hopefully now you'll see the BOI data populated as you'd expect?

15. Now try the 'Add Share' button, and press 'b' on the window when it has opened. Hopefully now you'll get to see that the shares-list does now jump to the letter you've pressed?

Can you let me know how you get on with the above?

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

granretire
2 Lemon pips

Post by granretire »

Your method works fine - both finding the 'new' companies and also adding a share by keying in the first letter. Many thanks for the work that you have put in.
I stll don't understand why 'my' method didn't work as I was using Excel standard tools. It seems totally illogical that my method accesses data that isn't even present in the workbook!

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Post by Itsallaguess »

granretire wrote:
Your method works fine - both finding the 'new' companies and also adding a share by keying in the first letter.
Great news, thanks for letting me know you're up and running.
granretire wrote:
I stll don't understand why 'my' method didn't work as I was using Excel standard tools. It seems totally illogical that my method accesses data that isn't even present in the workbook!
I think your import-data method will work if you first clear the existing cells from the test.xls 'Digital Look Data Sheet', before you import the new data from the text file.

I think the process you used had the existing DL data on the test.xls sheet before you imported the new data, and I suspect that your import method has maintained the previous data on the sheet, and altered some key in-tool references, as it's imported the new DL text data on the left of the existing data, and simply 'shifted' the previous data to the right of the new data.

This has ultimately confused some of the key cell-references that the tool needs to operate correctly, but by clearing the existing data first, using either my process or your process, I think the required references are maintained.

I've just checked your process but with a clear-out of the existing DL data before carrying out a new import using your method, and it works as I'd expect it to, so it may be worth you giving it a go just as a sanity-check for completeness?

It's great to know you've now got going though.

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

granretire
2 Lemon pips

Post by granretire »

Yes, 'my' method works if DL sheet cleared before import. I hadn't realised it had shifted the previous data to the right - well spotted! I assumed by selecting the original, the import would overwrite the existing data. Ah well, the mysterious working of Microsoft!
Thanks for solving the puzzle

Return to “Financial Software - Discussion”