New version of HYP Top-Up Spreadsheet

Discussions regarding financial software
kiloran
Lemon Quarter

New version of HYP Top-Up Spreadsheet

Post by kiloran »

Following all the shenanigans over the past couple of weeks (well documented at https://www.lemonfool.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=8183), the test versions of HYPTUSS now appear to be bug-free (famous last words) so we have released Excel version 11.4 and LibreOffice/OpenOffice version b-f, available at: http://lemonfoolfinancialsoftware.weebl ... op-up.html

The changes compared to previous production versions are:
  1. Changed the Yahoo price source following changes to the Yahoo server.
  2. Added currency detection so prices for shares quoted in GBP (pounds) are now displayed in GBp (pence)
  3. Minor update to the Digital Look Data Sheet
--kiloran

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Re: New version of HYP Top-Up Spreadsheet

Post by Breelander »

Downloaded version b-f, migrated shares and customisations from pervious version and tested with LibreOffice Portable 4.3.5.2.

All working here,
many thanks,

Bree.

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Post by kiloran »

Breelander wrote:Downloaded version b-f, migrated shares and customisations from pervious version and tested with LibreOffice Portable 4.3.5.2.

All working here,
many thanks,

Bree.
4.3.5.2???
You need to drag yourself into the 21st century, Bree :D
Many thanks for the feedback

--kiloran

magsy12

Post by magsy12 »

Now downloaded v 11.4 and completed transfer from v 11.3. I am using Excel 2010 and Windows 10. All working well. Many many thanks!
M

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Post by Breelander »

kiloran wrote:4.3.5.2???
You need to drag yourself into the 21st century, Bree :D
Many thanks for the feedback
--kiloran
:lol:
I have 5.4.2.2 Portable as well (and yes, I tested b-f and it works in that too) but to be honest, 4.3.5.2 seems to run the 'Get Digital Look Forecast Yields' macro at least twice as fast as 5 does. For that reason alone I prefer to stick with 4.

But there's another 'oddity' in 5 that I've just discovered in testing, which I put down to a bug in LibreOffice rather than HYPTUSS.

As I have a preference share in the list I obviously don't get a 'forecast yield' for that one. As the yield is easy to forecast (the annual fixed dividend divided by the current price) I keep a formula in a spare cell and copy and paste it into the 'Latest or Forecast Yield' column. In 4 I discovered that I could do this while the macro was still running, as soon as it had put the ???? in the yield cell.

In 5, even just copying a cell while the macro is running screws up the macro. From that point on it continues to 'work', but puts blanks in the cells then, when it reaches the last cell it starts all over again from the first share. It will only run successfully to completion if I keep my hands off the spreadsheet until it has finished.

No, I'll stick with 4, thanks :)

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Post by Itsallaguess »

Just a reminder that there's a quick video here that shows how simple the transfer process is from an earlier version of the portfolio tool into a more recent one -

https://vimeo.com/232215342

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Raptor
Lemon Quarter

Post by Raptor »

Probably me but update one spreadsheet to new version, owrked fine, BUT, it will not let me "copy" additional owkrsheets from the old version. Message is "cannot do it becuase it contains fewer rows and columns than the source workbook. Am doing this for the first time on laptop as Desktop is a mess and causing me problems. If anyone knows what I am doing wrong please let me know. Am not aorund for a few days but any help would be appreciated. Both spreadsheets are .xlsm and using the copy sheet function. If I copy to new sheet it works fine.

Raptor.

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Post by Itsallaguess »

Raptor wrote:
Probably me but update one spreadsheet to new version, worked fine, BUT, it will not let me "copy" additional wokrsheets from the old version. Message is "cannot do it because it contains fewer rows and columns than the source workbook.

Am doing this for the first time on laptop as Desktop is a mess and causing me problems.

If anyone knows what I am doing wrong please let me know. Am not aorund for a few days but any help would be appreciated. Both spreadsheets are .xlsm and using the copy sheet function.

If I copy to new sheet it works fine.
I suspect it's to do with the file/version format of the spreadsheet you're trying to copy into. Microsoft changed the number of usable rows between different Excel file formats at some point, and I think this is perhaps tripping you up.

Have a read of this, as I think it will help get you going -

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/willbu ... d-columns/

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

Raptor
Lemon Quarter

Post by Raptor »

Itsallaguess wrote:
Raptor wrote:
Probably me but update one spreadsheet to new version, worked fine, BUT, it will not let me "copy" additional wokrsheets from the old version. Message is "cannot do it because it contains fewer rows and columns than the source workbook.

Am doing this for the first time on laptop as Desktop is a mess and causing me problems.

If anyone knows what I am doing wrong please let me know. Am not aorund for a few days but any help would be appreciated. Both spreadsheets are .xlsm and using the copy sheet function.

If I copy to new sheet it works fine.
I suspect it's to do with the file/version format of the spreadsheet you're trying to copy into. Microsoft changed the number of usable rows between different Excel file formats at some point, and I think this is perhaps tripping you up.

Have a read of this, as I think it will help get you going -

https://blogs.msdn.microsoft.com/willbu ... d-columns/

Cheers,

Itsallaguess
Should have waited, suddenly remembered back in the "old" days I had a problem with running Macros and found that enabling macros in Trust Centre fixed it. Do not know why but changing this has also fixed the "copy" problem. Weird. I have copied all my spreadsheets from Desktop, so will update my portfolio spreadsheets on Dec 1 (no portfolio november)...

Much appreciate the work done by you 2. I gave up programming many moons ago but recently have started "updating" Excel to make my life easier and it is amazing how much has come back from 15-20 years ago. If you need any Cobol, REXX, PL1 or Assembler coding let me know :lol:

Raptor.

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Post by kiloran »

Raptor wrote: If you need any Cobol, REXX, PL1 or Assembler coding let me know :lol:

Raptor.
REXX!! That takes me back a bit, about 30 years or so. I was in marketing at the time, and built a tool on IBM VM to allow marketers to update a bunch of files which could be read by salesmen around europe using a web-like interface (named Hamish!) with a tree structure. No clickable links, of course, but it really did operate much like the web today. Was Tim Berners-Lee looking over my shoulder? :D

--kiloran

Arborbridge
Lemon Half

Post by Arborbridge »

kiloran wrote:Following all the shenanigans over the past couple of weeks (well documented at https://www.lemonfool.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=27&t=8183), the test versions of HYPTUSS now appear to be bug-free (famous last words) so we have released Excel version 11.4 and LibreOffice/OpenOffice version b-f, available at: http://lemonfoolfinancialsoftware.weebl ... op-up.html

The changes compared to previous production versions are:
  1. Changed the Yahoo price source following changes to the Yahoo server.
  2. Added currency detection so prices for shares quoted in GBP (pounds) are now displayed in GBp (pence)
  3. Minor update to the Digital Look Data Sheet
--kiloran
Is this essentially the same as the Beta version? In other words, if I have the Beta working satisfactorily, do I need to download the new version?

Thanks for all the superlative efforts to rectify this all so quickly.

Arb.

spiderbill
Lemon Slice

Post by spiderbill »

To prevent any possible heart attacks - Yahoo have been doing some very strange things today. I've seen three shares, GSK, RDSB, and Petrofac showing prices with the decimal point two characters to the left of where they should be. Both looking at their site and scraping their data. Usually clears a short while later but very disconcerting!

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Post by kiloran »

Arborbridge wrote: Is this essentially the same as the Beta version? In other words, if I have the Beta working satisfactorily, do I need to download the new version?

Thanks for all the superlative efforts to rectify this all so quickly.

Arb.
Yes Arb, the final version is the same as the Beta (apart, perhaps, from minor clean-up of the Version History sheet)

--kiloran

Arborbridge
Lemon Half

Post by Arborbridge »

Thanks, Kiloran. As I've already set up my additional columns in the Beta, I'll stick with it rather than start again.

Arb

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Post by Breelander »

Arborbridge wrote: As I've already set up my additional columns in the Beta, I'll stick with it rather than start again.
Oh, I don't know - I'm getting quite adept at migrating my extra columns to the next version (I've had lots of practice these past weeks :) ).

Return to “Financial Software - Discussion”