Inserting tabela data into a post

Discussions regarding financial software
kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Inserting tabela data into a post

Post by kiloran »

A web-based tool has been created to format spreadsheet (excel/openoffice/libreoffice) data for adding into a Lemon Fool post as a tabela.
See: http://lemonfoolfinancialsoftware.weebl ... ormat.html

An example of the resulting format:
[tabela]L=EPIC&Name&INDEX&ISIN&LSE Segment&Sector
L=3IN&3I INF. ORD&FTSE250&JE00BYR8GK67&JEGBXSTMM&Equity Investment Instruments
L=AA.&AA PLC&FTSE250&GB00BMSKPJ95&GBGBXSTMM&Support Services
L=AAL&ANGLO AMERICAN&FTSE100&GB00B1XZS820&GBGBXSET0&Mining
L=ABF&A.B.FOOD&FTSE100&GB0006731235&GBGBXSET1&Food Producers
L=ACA&ACACIA MIN&FTSE250&GB00B61D2N63&GBGBXSTMM&Mining
L=ADM&ADMIRAL GRP&FTSE100&GB00B02J6398&GBGBXSET1&Nonlife Insurance
L=ADN&ABDN.ASSET.MAN.&FTSE250&GB0000031285&GBGBXSTMM&Financial Services
L=AGK&AGGREKO&FTSE250&GB00BK1PTB77&GBGBXSTMM&Support Services
L=AGR&ASSURA&FTSE250&GB00BVGBWW93&GBGBXSTMM&Real Estate Investment Trusts[/tabela]

--kiloran

Instep
2 Lemon pips

Re: Inserting tabela data into a post

Post by Instep »

kiloran wrote:A web-based tool has been created to format spreadsheet (excel/openoffice/libreoffice) data for adding into a Lemon Fool post as a tabela.

An example of the resulting format:

--kiloran
Thanks kiloran. I just cheated on the quote to see what it will look like when you update the code.
Instep

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Post by kiloran »

Instep wrote:
kiloran wrote:A web-based tool has been created to format spreadsheet (excel/openoffice/libreoffice) data for adding into a Lemon Fool post as a tabela.

snip

--kiloran
Thanks kiloran. I just cheated on the quote to see what it will look like when you update the code.
Instep
Ah, the tabela that worked OK is now screwed up because the tag has been changed to table. Logical, I guess but could be a problem in the long term if similar changes are made.

The web tool has been updated to change the tabela tags to table tags

--kiloran

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Post by Breelander »

FredBloggs wrote:Alternatively, I find it often easier to use the Windows snipping tool to upload a partial screenshot as an image on forums.
You couldn't do that on TMF, you had to use <pre></pre> - and now you can here too (use square brackets [/pre] )

EPIC  Name               INDEX    ISIN          LSESegment  Sector
3IN   3I INF. ORD        FTSE250  JE00BYR8GK67  JEGBXSTMM   Equity Investment Instruments
AA.   AA PLC             FTSE250  GB00BMSKPJ95  GBGBXSTMM   Support Services
AAL   ANGLO AMERICAN     FTSE100  GB00B1XZS820  GBGBXSET0   Mining
ABF   A.B.FOOD           FTSE100  GB0006731235  GBGBXSET1   Food Producers
ACA   ACACIA MIN         FTSE250  GB00B61D2N63  GBGBXSTMM   Mining
ADM   ADMIRAL GRP        FTSE100  GB00B02J6398  GBGBXSET1   Nonlife Insurance
ADN   ABDN.ASSET.MAN.    FTSE250  GB0000031285  GBGBXSTMM   Financial Services
AGK   AGGREKO            FTSE250  GB00BK1PTB77  GBGBXSTMM   Support Services
AGR   ASSURA             FTSE250  GB00BVGBWW93  GBGBXSTMM   Real Estate Investment Trusts

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Post by kiloran »

Lemon Fool moves very quickly! The tabela tags have been renamed as table tags, and pre tags have also been added, so we can now create tables with code, table and pre tags.

I've therefore rewritten our web page to format spreadsheet data for inserting tabular data into a post, and the single web page now allows you to choose what type of table you wish to create.

--kiloran

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Post by tjh290633 »

I have just discovered that the default alignment in columns is left aligned, whereas in numerical data it is better right-aligned.

Is there any way to select which is required?

TJH

kiloran
Lemon Quarter

Post by kiloran »

tjh290633 wrote:I have just discovered that the default alignment in columns is left aligned, whereas in numerical data it is better right-aligned.

TJH
For table-tagged data, there is no control as far as I am aware. Maybe stooz knows differently?

For code- and pre-tagged data, the web tool attempts to determine if the data is text or numeric and align according by inserting leading or trailing spaces. If you have a problem with some specific data, let me know and I'll see if I can make the web tool a bit smarter

--kiloran

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Post by Breelander »

kiloran wrote:
tjh290633 wrote:I have just discovered that the default alignment in columns is left aligned, whereas in numerical data it is better right-aligned.

TJH
For table-tagged data, there is no control as far as I am aware. Maybe stooz knows differently? ...
--kiloran
No, I've got the JavaScript that generates the Table and tested it on my home phpBB forum (then told stooz how to modify the colours from that garish orange and the white text!). There's no user-selectable alignment - it's a global (currently) left justified for all cells. The original code had different alignments - centre for the title and left the data, but columns did not line up very well. Initially we had it set for centre alignment for both, but stooz subsequently changed that to left aligned for both. I've previously PM'd you the url to see the original code so you can see how it works.

Breelander
Lemon Quarter

Post by Breelander »

Breelander wrote:... I've previously PM'd you the url to see the original code so you can see how it works.
One of the things you'll see is that (apart from removing the '||' marker) the text is left 'as-is'. This means you can use BBcode tags in the text - red for negative numbers for example. Crucially it means you can also use the new [align=] BBcode that now seems to have been added to the site's editor!

Return to “Financial Software - Discussion”