Interactive Investor again!

Discuss Brokers, trading, fees, experiences
GeoffF100
Lemon Quarter

Re: Interactive Investor again!

Post by GeoffF100 »

Lootman wrote:The ii system was fine until abrdn took it over.
Perhaps they told the programmers to take all the vowels out of their programs.

1nvest
Lemon Quarter

Post by 1nvest »

Does it niggle anyone else who use ii - as to its structure

https://www.ii.co.uk/about-us/your-protection

Bank deposits nowadays becomes the banks money. And increasing with a Bail-In transitional push (savers/investors funding bail outs rather than taxpayers).

Stock brokers and deposits become the brokers money, they'll buy the shares you like, in their name as you suggest, but with a fraud that spanned both broker and custodian you could be left high and dry, maybe not even getting the £85K of suggested FSCS protection - as that doesn't apply in the case of frauds.

Staying with them for the time being, but then again my assets are structured to involve just modest counter-party risk so even if ii totally failed it would be just a hiccup event for me.

88V8
Lemon Quarter

Post by 88V8 »

Dod101 wrote:
77ss wrote: I can't see the use of my email address as being anything other than less secure.
I wonder what the rationale for the change was. It seems pointless to me.
I can only imagine that they have a whole lot of formats carried over from the different businesses they have bought over the last several years and have now decided to rationalise these with one format, the email address. As has been said, how this can be more secure is a mystery and I have asked them to explain how that can be so.
Over the weekend this latest piece of imbecility seems to have been implemented.
Trying to log on this morning my wife was told that her 'Username or password is incorrect'.

We save the log-on screen as our shortcut and on there there is no notice about using an email address.
So if I had not been reading this thread we would have been stuck.

Stupid and unnecessary change, incompetently implemented.

V8

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Post by mc2fool »

88V8 wrote:
Dod101 wrote: I can only imagine that they have a whole lot of formats carried over from the different businesses they have bought over the last several years and have now decided to rationalise these with one format, the email address. As has been said, how this can be more secure is a mystery and I have asked them to explain how that can be so.
Over the weekend this latest piece of imbecility seems to have been implemented.
Trying to log on this morning my wife was told that her 'Username or password is incorrect'.

We save the log-on screen as our shortcut and on there there is no notice about using an email address.

V8
:?: I've just logged in with the 7 digit "username" I've always used, no problem.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Post by Dod101 »

mc2fool wrote:
88V8 wrote: Over the weekend this latest piece of imbecility seems to have been implemented.

V8
:?: I've just logged in with the 7 digit "username" I've always used, no problem.
I too have just used my 7 digit username to access my account as always.

Dod

Bouleversee
Lemon Quarter

Post by Bouleversee »

This newsletter from Malwarebytes gives one pause for thought: https://www.malwarebytes.com/blog/news/ ... &bsft_tv=7

I don't have a smartphone but if I did I wouldn't want to conduct my financial affairs on it.
Note to mods: Feel free to move elsewhere if not appropriate here, assuming the link works, which it may not.

PeterGray
Lemon Slice

Post by PeterGray »

Another benefit of face or fingerprint recognition. You can watch a pin being entered, but faking a face or finger is a lot more difficult.

pje16
Lemon Half

Post by pje16 »

PeterGray wrote:Another benefit of face or fingerprint recognition. You can watch a pin being entered, but faking a face or finger is a lot more difficult.
how about faces for twins ? :lol:

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Post by mc2fool »

PeterGray wrote:Another benefit of face or fingerprint recognition. You can watch a pin being entered, but faking a face or finger is a lot more difficult.
And yet the "Face unlock" setup on my Android 11 Moto says "Remember: Face matching is less secure than a pattern, PIN or password"

pje16
Lemon Half

Post by pje16 »

mc2fool wrote: And yet the "Face unlock" setup on my Android 11 Moto says "Remember: Face matching is less secure than a pattern, PIN or password"
this article begs to differ
https://www.intego.com/mac-security-blo ... -passcode/

88V8
Lemon Quarter

Post by 88V8 »

88V8 wrote:
Dod101 wrote: I can only imagine that they have a whole lot of formats carried over from the different businesses they have bought over the last several years and have now decided to rationalise these with one format, the email address. As has been said, how this can be more secure is a mystery and I have asked them to explain how that can be so.
It seems the incompetence yesterday was not ii's, as I logged on per usual this morning.

However, to find something else to grumble about, in Transactions, I noticed that my current negative balance is shown in green....

V8

pje16
Lemon Half

Post by pje16 »

88V8 wrote:
However, to find something else to grumble about, in Transactions, I noticed that my current negative balance is shown in green....

V8
Sorry what element is green
on the transactions page my increases are green and decreases are red

Dod101
The full Lemon

Post by Dod101 »

pje16 wrote:
88V8 wrote:

V8
To be quite honest, once we are in a frame of mind to do so, we can find plenty of things to moan about with many sites. By and large now that I have got used to it, the II site is OK. I cannot though see why they they needed to change it in the first place.

Dod

88V8
Lemon Quarter

Post by 88V8 »

pje16 wrote:
88V8 wrote:

V8
The current balance. Perhaps it's green because the deficit has increased... sigh...

V8

pje16
Lemon Half

Post by pje16 »

sorry still not sure what that is

88V8
Lemon Quarter

Post by 88V8 »

pje16 wrote:sorry still not sure what that is
If you go into Transaction History, it's the latest figure in the right hand column.

V8

pje16
Lemon Half

Post by pje16 »

88V8 wrote:
pje16 wrote:sorry still not sure what that is
If you go into Transaction History, it's the latest figure in the right hand column.

V8
Thanks
mine is black, under the column called Balance

PeterGray
Lemon Slice

Post by PeterGray »

mc2fool wrote:
And yet the "Face unlock" setup on my Android 11 Moto says "Remember: Face matching is less secure than a pattern, PIN or password"
I seems fairly sensitive to me, on the iPhone. However, the big advantage from the point of view of this thread, and security is that the scam described wouldn't work. No one can see you enter your phone PIN, if you don't need to enter it. Even if they crack the face recognition they still need the PIN to change the AppleID, which is the biggest concern - so they can't lock you out or prevent the phone being tracked or erased.

88V8
Lemon Quarter

Post by 88V8 »

pje16 wrote:
88V8 wrote: If you go into Transaction History, it's the latest figure in the right hand column.
Thanks .. mine is black, under the column called Balance
Ahh, I have a colour monitor, they're quite good nowadays :)

V8

BullDog
Lemon Quarter

Post by BullDog »

Well, Interactive Investor, I have been quite happy with them recently until this morning when I went to do a one off SIPP drawdown as tax year end approaches.

1 My SIPP doesn't appear in the app on the withdrawal page, only trading and ISA appear there. An email from II this week giving drawdown deadlines for the tax year says withdrawal is available from website or II app.

2 On the website under the SIPP management section, I click through all the various pages of guff. All that happens is a pdf withdrawal form to fill in and post off downloads. That cannot be right?

So, at the moment I have absolutely no idea how to withdraw the cash I want from my SIPP this month. Luckily the deadline at II is 20th March so there's time yet.

Has anyone else here managed a SIPP drawdown on line from II recently? It's possible I am being really stupid and missing something obvious of course.

Thanks.

BD

Return to “Brokers and Share Dealing”