Interactive Investor again!

Discuss Brokers, trading, fees, experiences
Meg201

Re: Interactive Investor again!

Post by Meg201 »

I also have other investment accounts that use an email address as a user name, I use also use more than one specific email addresses for these accounts . I have never had a problem . You also still have a password for your account which should be such that it gives adequate protection
Ian

pje16
Lemon Half

Post by pje16 »

IMHO changing the code for an email address was a totally unnecessary change
I cannot think of any reason why they did it
a change for changes sake and if it ain't broke don't fix it
but as we know, II do not believe in the latter :roll:

77ss
Lemon Quarter

Post by 77ss »

Bouleversee wrote:Another unbelievable development! I only have one email address and everyone knows it. How can this possibly be allowed? I am constantly pressed by banks to install an app on my phone to enable me to do my banking. As it happens, I still don't have a smartphone but with what I consider is reduced security as phones can so easily be lost or stolen and then could get me email and get on to my banks and investment platforms this is really bonkers; quite a step from the 2FA or whatever it's called As it is, I have enough problems fending off attempts at phishing and hacking. I presume other have complained. What reaction did you get?

I'm seriously thinking of closing my ii account but don't know where to transfer to.
So am I. I resent being used for beta testing and I can't see the use of my email address as being anything other than less secure.

I wonder what the rationale for the change was. It seems pointless to me.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Post by Dod101 »

77ss wrote:
Bouleversee wrote:Another unbelievable development! I only have one email address and everyone knows it. How can this possibly be allowed? I am constantly pressed by banks to install an app on my phone to enable me to do my banking. As it happens, I still don't have a smartphone but with what I consider is reduced security as phones can so easily be lost or stolen and then could get me email and get on to my banks and investment platforms this is really bonkers; quite a step from the 2FA or whatever it's called As it is, I have enough problems fending off attempts at phishing and hacking. I presume other have complained. What reaction did you get?

I'm seriously thinking of closing my ii account but don't know where to transfer to.
So am I. I resent being used for beta testing and I can't see the use of my email address as being anything other than less secure.

I wonder what the rationale for the change was. It seems pointless to me.
I can only imagine that they have a whole lot of formats carried over from the different businesses they have bought over the last several years and have now decided to rationalise these with one format, the email address. As has been said, how this can be more secure is a mystery and I have asked them to explain how that can be so. How about all of us sending them the same message in as many different ways as we can think of?

Dod

Lootman
The full Lemon

Post by Lootman »

77ss wrote: I resent being used for beta testing
Agreed, which is why I am not accessing my account. I made some trades in early January, before the switchover, and vowed to not use use ii again until the new tax year.

In fact I bet there is a big release over the 4-day easter break. That will fix a lot of bugs and probably introduce a few new ones! So maybe mid-April it will be safe to go back into the water.

PeterGray
Lemon Slice

Post by PeterGray »

Dod101 wrote: I can only imagine that they have a whole lot of formats carried over from the different businesses they have bought over the last several years and have now decided to rationalise these with one format, the email address.
That is certainly true. I use an old Selftrade ID, which works perfectly, though it's not what I was issued with by II. It's a mess.

Using emails is a much more straightforward way to go. And since I then have to enter a password and 2 factor security via my phone to get into my account I think the potential loss of security is hardly an issue.

monabri
Lemon Half

Post by monabri »

I've just transferred a smallish sum of cash from my linked bank account to ii. The money from the linked account was received no problems. However, the share that I wanted to purchase was not available (or rather the quantity was reported as not available). I decided to transfer the cash back to the account it came from. Unfortunately, ii reported that I had no linked bank account (even though I had been (1) using the "ii to named bank account" link for a couple of years and (2) had only just transferred some money in to interactive :evil: ).

I tried to restablish the link bank account but it wouldn't let me. ii reported that the name on my bank account did not match with ii's details. My bank account is in the name of MR A B Monabri whereas ii is in the name of MR A Monabri - hence no match, hence it was unable to set up the bank details. ii now want me to send in a recent bank statement to verify the bank account details.

Why has the linked bank account suddenly stopped working? ii couldn't answer the question. The card I use for direct debit transfer expires in 2025. Seems it will now take 13 days for them to transfer the cash back (2 days to clear funds transferred in, 1 day to process and then another 10 days...)

(all names have been changed to protect the guilty!)

pje16
Lemon Half

Post by pje16 »

monabri wrote: (all names have been changed to protect the guilty!)
You have my sympathy as II can be a bunch of clowns at times

Bouleversee
Lemon Quarter

Post by Bouleversee »

monabri wrote:I've just transferred a smallish sum of cash from my linked bank account to ii. The money from the linked account was received no problems. However, the share that I wanted to purchase was not available (or rather the quantity was reported as not available). I decided to transfer the cash back to the account it came from. Unfortunately, ii reported that I had no linked bank account (even though I had been (1) using the "ii to named bank account" link for a couple of years and (2) had only just transferred some money in to interactive :evil: ).

I tried to restablish the link bank account but it wouldn't let me. ii reported that the name on my bank account did not match with ii's details. My bank account is in the name of MR A B Monabri whereas ii is in the name of MR A Monabri - hence no match, hence it was unable to set up the bank details. ii now want me to send in a recent bank statement to verify the bank account details.

Why has the linked bank account suddenly stopped working? ii couldn't answer the question. The card I use for direct debit transfer expires in 2025. Seems it will now take 13 days for them to transfer the cash back (2 days to clear funds transferred in, 1 day to process and then another 10 days...)

(all names have been changed to protect the guilty!)
I take it you don't have an arrangement to pay dividends into your bank account, Monabri?

monabri
Lemon Half

Post by monabri »

Bouleversee wrote:
I take it you don't have an arrangement to pay dividends into your bank account, Monabri?
No, I let dividends accumulate and the decide (usually to squander ..ie. "re-invest" ;) ).

MrFoolish
Lemon Quarter

Post by MrFoolish »

Out of curiosity, I tried logging into the abrdn portal. It asks for an email address. So you can bet your bottom dollar they are making this change to fit in with abrdn, rather than for security reasons.

All of these stupid changes is making me consider taking my account elsewhere. I'm losing trust in them.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Post by Dod101 »

Life is too short to worry about this sort of thing. We have our password and the code they send to my phone which is as we know a once only number. If these are not sufficient then I do not know what is. i would prefer that they just left things alone but it is not the end of the world. I may well review my password though.

Dod

pje16
Lemon Half

Post by pje16 »

I am still seeing a notification for unread messages, 4 days after I read it
yet another glitch with the absolutely fantastic revamp of the site :roll:

MrFoolish
Lemon Quarter

Post by MrFoolish »

Dod101 wrote:Life is too short to worry about this sort of thing. We have our password and the code they send to my phone which is as we know a once only number. If these are not sufficient then I do not know what is. i would prefer that they just left things alone but it is not the end of the world. I may well review my password though.

Dod
If they didn't make unnecessary changes there'd be no need to worry it.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Post by Dod101 »

MrFoolish wrote:
Dod101 wrote:Life is too short to worry about this sort of thing. We have our password and the code they send to my phone which is as we know a once only number. If these are not sufficient then I do not know what is. i would prefer that they just left things alone but it is not the end of the world. I may well review my password though.

Dod
If they didn't make unnecessary changes there'd be no need to worry it.
The point is that I am not worried about it.

Dod

monabri
Lemon Half

Post by monabri »

I also keep getting this meesage when I select from the menus. If I ignore it and try again, it goes through.

pje16
Lemon Half

Post by pje16 »

monabri wrote:I also keep getting this meesage when I select from the menus. If I ignore it and try again, it goes through.
log a support call with them, they have to fix these things

monabri
Lemon Half

Post by monabri »

pje16 wrote:
monabri wrote:I also keep getting this meesage when I select from the menus. If I ignore it and try again, it goes through.
log a support call with them, they have to fix these things
I've just set a secure msg of "complaint" regarding this and the other issue regarding the broken link to my bank (which had been working). My wife's interactive account is still linked to her bank account (her bank is the same one as mine so it's not a bank issue).

If I "add money" from the linked account, Interactive have no problem accepting it...it just won't pay out to the linked account!!

Interactive told me yesterday that it will take up to 13 (thirteen) days to transfer the funds back to my bank account!

Lootman
The full Lemon

Post by Lootman »

monabri wrote: the other issue regarding the broken link to my bank (which had been working). My wife's interactive account is still linked to her bank account (her bank is the same one as mine so it's not a bank issue).

If I "add money" from the linked account, Interactive have no problem accepting it...it just won't pay out to the linked account!!

Interactive told me yesterday that it will take up to 13 (thirteen) days to transfer the funds back to my bank account!
Trapping your money with them is a lot more serious than anything else, bar just losing it all anyway.

You can check out any time you want, but you can never leave. :D

AJC5001
Lemon Slice

Post by AJC5001 »

monabri wrote: My wife's interactive account is still linked to her bank account (her bank is the same one as mine so it's not a bank issue).
Have you tried withdrawing to her linked account successfully?

Adrian

Return to “Brokers and Share Dealing”