Interactive Investor again!

Discuss Brokers, trading, fees, experiences
pje16
Lemon Half

Re: Interactive Investor again!

Post by pje16 »

I have just messaged them
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
How about a tick box “don't show me this again” for your messages like weekend maintenance
We shouldn't have to close them every time we log on
thank you
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Other sites do, it can't be that hard
Last edited by pje16 on January 31st, 2023, 12:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lootman
The full Lemon

Post by Lootman »

DrFfybes wrote:I wonder who Beta Tests these improvements, and what their age profile is?

Paul
The beta testers are the clients. That is us, now.

Bouleversee
Lemon Quarter

Post by Bouleversee »

They should have some alpha testers, then. :)

James
2 Lemon pips

Post by James »

Like most, I can't stand the latest pointless upgrade at ii.
But at least they can largely keep their site afloat.
That alone puts them miles ahead of Aviva, which has been "experiencing technical issues" nearly every time I've tried to log in over the past week or so.
How long does it take a company to realise it has a problem and throw some resources at it?

Gilgongo
Lemon Slice

Post by Gilgongo »

James wrote: How long does it take a company to realise it has a problem and throw some resources at it?
Don't speak too soon. Right now I'm getting a 404 page on ii's login link... :?

EthicsGradient
Lemon Slice

Post by EthicsGradient »

DrFfybes wrote:Dragging this thread painfully back to ii, last week I transferred some stocj to MrsF.

It has left my account, and appeared in hers. However I can find no record if this in my Transaction History on the account - it is as though the shares simply never existed. If I look at the Transaction History of the individual share it appears, but if I'd transferred all of them out the information would have vanished. They appear in her account as purchased at zero cost, so that needed some fiddling.

Paul
Looking back, a couple of years ago, I transferred a stock out of II to a paper certificate, and looking at the Transaction History in the quarterly statement, there's no record of it. When the conversion to clean funds and rounding was done back in 2017, they did manage to record the changes in "Trading History", even though there was no monetary amount associated with them. But that was, I think, their previous backend system. I suppose I ought to make sure I have my own copy of the paperwork for the transfer out.

Bouleversee
Lemon Quarter

Post by Bouleversee »

Gilgongo wrote:
James wrote: How long does it take a company to realise it has a problem and throw some resources at it?
Don't speak too soon. Right now I'm getting a 404 page on ii's login link... :?
What on earth is that?

Gerry557
Lemon Quarter

Post by Gerry557 »

A further update on the other week of trying to do a buy with iii issues. After my moan, iii put £30 into my trading account for some sort of compensation for me loosing my "free" trade.

I've now noticed another £75 placed in the trading account. There is a long rambling message listing all the issues and my attempts to do a buy and how it was their 3rd party supplier issue.

"My complaint" wasn't upheld. I hadn't realised I'd made a complaint but did raise issues post the update and the work around to trade but didn't work. I'd informed them that in the end I'd used a different broker to make the deal.

The extra £75 is a goodwill gesture and in future to use telephone trading in similar circumstances.

I've not done telephone trading as the price can move whist you get through to a operator and I prefer to have the option to see it on screen the exact details before pressing go.

Now I've got to figure out how to get the money out so some more site navigation learning.

I suppose it ended up being a better buy than planned and I should have had a dividend to bag now too.

Anyone done any telephone dealing recently and care to share how it went?

88V8
Lemon Quarter

Post by 88V8 »

Gerry557 wrote:Anyone done any telephone dealing recently and care to share how it went?
Have done a few, not since the website fiasco.

One is generally talking to the phone op, who is able to override the 'can't deal' block, and then gets the prices you would have been able to get by dealing online. If buying Fixed Interest they rarely have any knowledge of the stock or how it trades.
In terms of pricing it doesn't have that sense of split-second control if it were under one's own finger, especially after they have finished reciting back to you what it is that you're buying as if you were gaga.

To get to an actual dealer one has to be buying in size, or perhaps just plain pushy, normally I don't bother.

So I suppose their service is perfectly pleasant, OK, adequate, etc.
Oh, and telephone trades take quite a while to show up in the a/c, it seems they go to the back office to be manually loaded. Perhaps that's different with the wonderful new website.

V8

BobGe
Lemon Slice

Post by BobGe »

PeterGray wrote:I'm with you on smart speakers, but I really wouldn't want to be without banking and broking apps on my phone!
Does that not result in becoming over reliant on a smart phone? Not being familiar myself, what happens if it's lost, stolen, or even if you want to change it for another model? Then the possibility of service dispruption, no signal or a device fault? A flat battery or failed charger? It strikes me that it's likely more of an inconvenience for the user than it is for the provider of the app. etc. that's allowing (or refusing) you access to whatever. It seems most don't care nowadays but a smartphone companion provides (tracks) a pretty complete picture of most things they do, all of which, data included, may be accessible to others. Isn't this much a case of the user becoming the product?

EthicsGradient
Lemon Slice

Post by EthicsGradient »

Bouleversee wrote:
Gilgongo wrote: Don't speak too soon. Right now I'm getting a 404 page on ii's login link... :?
What on earth is that?
"404" is the standard web error number for "that page/resource cannot be found" - it shows there's something working at the ii end, but not the particular thing you want.

PeterGray
Lemon Slice

Post by PeterGray »

BobGe wrote:
PeterGray wrote:I'm with you on smart speakers, but I really wouldn't want to be without banking and broking apps on my phone!
Does that not result in becoming over reliant on a smart phone?
No, I can access II on an iPhone, an iPad or my Windows PC, and I do all 3 regulalry

Gerry557
Lemon Quarter

Post by Gerry557 »

88V8 wrote:
Gerry557 wrote:Anyone done any telephone dealing recently and care to share how it went?
Have done a few, not since the website fiasco.

One is generally talking to the phone op, who is able to override the 'can't deal' block, and then gets the prices you would have been able to get by dealing online. If buying Fixed Interest they rarely have any knowledge of the stock or how it trades.
In terms of pricing it doesn't have that sense of split-second control if it were under one's own finger, especially after they have finished reciting back to you what it is that you're buying as if you were gaga.

To get to an actual dealer one has to be buying in size, or perhaps just plain pushy, normally I don't bother.

So I suppose their service is perfectly pleasant, OK, adequate, etc.
Oh, and telephone trades take quite a while to show up in the a/c, it seems they go to the back office to be manually loaded. Perhaps that's different with the wonderful new website.

V8
Thanks for the input V8, it's a bit as I expected. Often as a share gets close to my entry point I might watch and wait to see how it goes waiting for just the right moment. Not really something you can do over the phone.

I also use limit orders on occasions, this was the option to use according to iii's online message on the day they had the technical issues. Unfortunately the two attempts I tried didn't work even though one was set slightly above the current SP.

I did try a phone deal once but the SP changed quite a bit by the time I got them to quote. That experience put me off I'm afraid.

I'm still struggling with navigation on this updated site, hopefully the more I use it the easier it will get.

pje16
Lemon Half

Post by pje16 »

pje16 wrote:I have just messaged them
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
How about a tick box “don't show me this again” for your messages like weekend maintenance
We shouldn't have to close them every time we log on
thank you
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Other sites do, it can't be that hard
response today
“Thank you for your feedback, I will now pass this onto our development team to look into this. We are always trying to improve the site so your feedback is always welcomed. “

So that sounds positive :)

88V8
Lemon Quarter

Post by 88V8 »

And another thing with the site... If I try to use the Quote box for - in this case 44VG - it makes guesses including 44IH and 05GL, both valid, but then insists on adding LSE: ahead of the EPIC and tells me it's invalid.
Yes, it's invalid because the way the picklist works makes it invalid!

And in any case, why do I have to use a picklist if I know the EPIC... it is not an 'improvement' if I have to visit an external website to get a price, and if this is a roundabout way of saying that ii can't trade it, then it should not be on the picklist at all.

Regards shuffling the order of the columns and the changes not being saved on exit, there is a fix.... after doing the shuffling, go into the Column Configurator and press Submit.

However, there does not seem to be any way to save changes in column width... but by deleting unwanted columns I have now got the Portfolio view so it will fit on the screen with full-width columns and the browser set at 90%.
Gerry557 wrote:
88V8 wrote: In terms of pricing it doesn't have that sense of split-second control if it were under one's own finger, especially after they have finished reciting back to you what it is that you're buying as if you were gaga.
Thanks for the input V8, it's a bit as I expected. Often as a share gets close to my entry point I might watch and wait to see how it goes waiting for just the right moment. Not really something you can do over the phone.

I also use limit orders on occasions, this was the option to use according to iii's online message on the day they had the technical issues. Unfortunately the two attempts I tried didn't work even though one was set slightly above the current SP.

I did try a phone deal once but the SP changed quite a bit by the time I got them to quote. That experience put me off I'm afraid.
Yes the price can change whilst on the phone but sometimes in the right direction.
Limit orders... I have rarely used partly because one gets no notification when they have triggered, so one's account might go into deficit and one would not know.
I believe... they are handled manually.. so on a busy day or with a brief price drop, they might not trigger. Sometimes it works though... a few weeks ago a Buy triggered for Admiral even though the price point only very briefly came up intraday. Manually, I would never have seen it.

V8

Newroad
Lemon Slice

Post by Newroad »

Hi 88V8.

On limit orders, my simplistic take is
  • They are useful if you are a price maker (as I am when using IBKR)
    They are not useful if you are a price taker (as I am when using II)
The reverse is true for market orders.

Regards, Newroad

Gerry557
Lemon Quarter

Post by Gerry557 »

From memory, I think you get an email to say a trade has been completed. I suppose if you have several orders you might not now which one but then you can log in and check, assuming iii works or let's you.

I'd read about people putting limit orders on with unusually low prices to buy on a spike downward. I don't know if this works. Generally I use them if I'm away sailing for instance and something is heading towards my buy price and won't be available to deal online or only in a port overnight.

I might try doing one with a spike upwards but I would have to check to see how they work in case the spike triggers the action only to find the price instantly changes against me and the process becomes an unstoppable train that sells now matter what.

Maybe there is a prefered broker for limit order trading.

pje16
Lemon Half

Post by pje16 »

Gerry557 wrote:From memory, I think you get an email to say a trade has been completed.
No you don't, you get one a few hours later when a pdf version is available to download
It is normally there well before they email you

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Post by tjh290633 »

pje16 wrote:
Gerry557 wrote:From memory, I think you get an email to say a trade has been completed.
No you don't, you get one a few hours later when a pdf version is available to download
Funny. I get an email the same or next day, telling me that my trade has been executed and that the contract note is available to view. Often the same day.

TJH

88V8
Lemon Quarter

Post by 88V8 »

tjh290633 wrote:
pje16 wrote: No you don't, you get one a few hours later when a pdf version is available to download
Funny. I get an email the same or next day, telling me that my trade has been executed and that the contract note is available to view. Often the same day.
I never get an email at all :(

V8

Return to “Brokers and Share Dealing”