Interactive Investor again!

Discuss Brokers, trading, fees, experiences
BobGe
Lemon Slice

Re: Interactive Investor again!

Post by BobGe »

Alaric wrote:
BobGe wrote:Just tried copying some data from an order line in 'transaction history' and as soon as you highlight and release it causes a pop-up box to activate - you can't copy!! )
It may be a new feature, but download as CSV seems to work. You then open the csv file with Excel, Libre Office or spreadsheet of your choice.
(That's assuming a Windows pc)
Fine, but an awful load of hassle when you just want a single line entry or part thereof (in simple text format) to paste into notepad or similar. Much quicker just to type manually, but the point of copy and paste is to avoid manual typo's.
Besides, unless it's been changed, the CSV format isn't 'basic CSV text' it's got special chrs too, so needs a lot of editing to reach basic CSV text and doesn't paste into early spreadsheets properly. It's more 'excel' format than CSV, basic CSV was used by Selftrade, then EQi shifted it to excel and ii is much the same IIRC.

One can copy from an entry such as a divi or a monthly fee, but not a buy/sell transaction. Closest I can think of is to generate a PDF report and mess with that, but what hassle!!

Seems these 'improvements' have been done 'because we can', not because it's necessary or even that helpful. Perhaps I'll ask them why they didn't incorporate any games.

BullDog
Lemon Quarter

Post by BullDog »

Seeing as there's so much angst about the latest ii site, it might be worth some users taking a look at the ii app. It used to be pretty neanderthal, but it has come on a long way the last couple of years. I don't really use the ii website any more. Everything I typically need is now in the app.

BobGe
Lemon Slice

Post by BobGe »

mc2fool wrote:
BobGe wrote:Just tried copying some data from an order line in 'transaction history' and as soon as you highlight and release it causes a pop-up box to activate - you can't copy!!
Workaround: press Ctrl-C before releasing the mouse button. So, click-down, drag to select, Ctrl-C, release.
Thanks, OK, that works but I now find they have embodied a CRLF,LF in every data field. So paste results in the data in a double spaced column, not in a line. :-(

Just found another way, left click to highlight, hold, then right click before releasing left click, release left click then release right click - usual menu options should open. (Still stuck with the CRLF,LF though.) Nothing complicated, of course... :?

Lootman
The full Lemon

Post by Lootman »

BullDog wrote:Seeing as there's so much angst about the latest ii site, it might be worth some users taking a look at the ii app. It used to be pretty neanderthal, but it has come on a long way the last couple of years. I don't really use the ii website any more. Everything I typically need is now in the app.
A good number of us would not use a phone for something like this.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Post by Dod101 »

Anyway, I am perfectly happy with the new II site nos that I have got it in the order that I want.I do not care for much on any of these sites.

Dod

Gerry557
Lemon Quarter

Post by Gerry557 »

BullDog wrote:Seeing as there's so much angst about the latest ii site, it might be worth some users taking a look at the ii app. It used to be pretty neanderthal, but it has come on a long way the last couple of years. I don't really use the ii website any more. Everything I typically need is now in the app.
My android tablet proms me to download the app then tells me it won't work!

This was reported along other observations. I received a set we are working to improve things responce. So hopefully things are being reported and some consideration is being give.

I hope they resolve the logging off issue that doesn't log you off as a priority though and the pretty stuff later.

BullDog
Lemon Quarter

Post by BullDog »

Gerry557 wrote:
My android tablet proms me to download the app then tells me it won't work!

This was reported along other observations. I received a set we are working to improve things responce. So hopefully things are being reported and some consideration is being give.

I hope they resolve the logging off issue that doesn't log you off as a priority though and the pretty stuff later.
All I can say really is that the website and app both work perfectly on my Andriod 12 and 13 devices. The app used to be dreadful. Whilst it superficially looks the same it has improved to the point I seldom need to visit the II website any more.

Lootman
The full Lemon

Post by Lootman »

BullDog wrote:All I can say really is that the website and app both work perfectly on my Andriod 12 and 13 devices. The app used to be dreadful. Whilst it superficially looks the same it has improved to the point I seldom need to visit the II website any more.
Could this be a deliberate attempt to try and woo clients off the website and onto smart phones?

There is a travel website that I use that is blatantly trying to do that. I guess that businesses can learn more about you and track you better if you access them via a phone.

So they make the phone app better and the website worse intentionally.

ursaminortaur
Lemon Half

Post by ursaminortaur »

Lootman wrote:
BullDog wrote:All I can say really is that the website and app both work perfectly on my Andriod 12 and 13 devices. The app used to be dreadful. Whilst it superficially looks the same it has improved to the point I seldom need to visit the II website any more.
Could this be a deliberate attempt to try and woo clients off the website and onto smart phones?

There is a travel website that I use that is blatantly trying to do that. I guess that businesses can learn more about you and track you better if you access them via a phone.

And p*ss off a lot of their older customers who for security reasons would never want to access financial sites through a smart phone which is far more likely to be nicked than their home pc/tablet.

BullDog
Lemon Quarter

Post by BullDog »

Lootman wrote:

I'm not a big fan of conspiracy theories. I prefer to think of simple incompetence rather than malice. But it's a fact that older customers like me will be mostly gone inside a couple of decades. It seems life is moving to apps, virtually every aspect of modern life seems to involve downloading at least one app to participate in anything at all. I don't see that changing any time soon. For better or worse.

Dod101
The full Lemon

Post by Dod101 »

ursaminortaur wrote:
Lootman wrote: Could this be a deliberate attempt to try and woo clients off the website and onto smart phones?

And p*ss off a lot of their older customers who for security reasons would never want to access financial sites through a smart phone which is far more likely to be nicked than their home pc/tablet.
Yes I have often thought about how secure the access is for my II account. It after all contains a fair amount of my assets and I certainly regard it as at least as important as my bank details.

Dod

SebsCat
Lemon Pip

Post by SebsCat »

Dod101 wrote:
ursaminortaur wrote:
Yes I have often thought about how secure the access is for my II account. It after all contains a fair amount of my assets and I certainly regard it as at least as important as my bank details.
I will never use the phone I carry around for banking or other financial accounts. But I can see the day coming when it will be necessary to have a second phone which I keep locked away at home for accounts which insist on using an app. Or hopefully by then, there will be full support for apps on PCs.

Bouleversee
Lemon Quarter

Post by Bouleversee »

Banks are also now trying to foist apps. on us, positively encouraging us to do our banking while on the go; I can't imagine why. And it is assumed that we all have smart phones and so we are asked to photo QR codes to log in to access information, obviously impossible for me. What have they got against computers and emails? Having been a touch typist since the age of l7, I have no desire to text messages with my somewhat arthritic fingers and I rarely switch on my tiny mobile. Typing is bad enough. If ii continue to make life difficult for me and waste my time, I shall be moving my shares and money elsewhere.

swill453
Lemon Half

Post by swill453 »

Bouleversee wrote:Banks are also now trying to foist apps. on us, positively encouraging us to do our banking while on the go; I can't imagine why.
In the main it's because they can be far more assured of the security. If you log in to your bank in a generic web browser (whether on a PC or a phone) then the bank has very little access or control over what's happening on the system. If the device has been taken over, or has a key logger running for example, they'd never know.

With an app on the other hand, they control it from start to finish. They can run checks before they even allow a login attempt. For example it's quite common for the app to exit and refuse to run on a phone that's been "rooted", since that could very easily have been compromised.

Scott.

Bouleversee
Lemon Quarter

Post by Bouleversee »

swill453 wrote:
Bouleversee wrote:Banks are also now trying to foist apps. on us, positively encouraging us to do our banking while on the go; I can't imagine why.
In the main it's because they can be far more assured of the security. If you log in to your bank in a generic web browser (whether on a PC or a phone) then the bank has very little access or control over what's happening on the system. If the device has been taken over, or has a key logger running for example, they'd never know.

With an app on the other hand, they control it from start to finish. They can run checks before they even allow a login attempt. For example it's quite common for the app to exit and refuse to run on a phone that's been "rooted", since that could very easily have been compromised.

Scott.
No idea what "rooted" means. What about the cases where phones have been stolen and the owner's bank account quickly emptied? Doesn't sound very secure to me.

Lootman
The full Lemon

Post by Lootman »

swill453 wrote:

I suspect there are also sales and marketing benefits to a bank if you access via a phone. They have their reasons of course. But that doesn't mean it is better for the customer.

The business I mentioned earlier puts a monetary value on it. For a certain type of transaction they charge me £4 if I book via their website, but no charge if I book via the app. So I guess it is worth at least that much to a business that I access via my phone.

So how about zero commissions if I trade from my phone, versus the normal £5.99?

I do my banking at my local branch. Often I am "encouraged" by the "adviser" to "get the app". I always decline. :D

swill453
Lemon Half

Post by swill453 »

Bouleversee wrote:What about the cases where phones have been stolen and the owner's bank account quickly emptied?
Name one.

Scott.

MrFoolish
Lemon Quarter

Post by MrFoolish »

I doubt they are trying to discourage PC use. After all, I can see they've made a lot of effort with the changes. It just seems to be poorly implemented in places.

I suspect the problem stems from it being design by committee. Everyone (especially management) constantly chipping in with their hobbyhorse features that must be pushed in the users' faces. Making it look trendy with lots of white space rather than making it useful. Probably undertested and tried out with tiny example portfolios on the big screen of the developer and boss. Nobody bothering to test the "boring" bits like if the column changes get saved. Almost certainly rushed out to some unnecessary deadline. Expect the poor developer rather than the bosses to get the blame, possibly the sack.

Was it iii that used to have a really popular share discussion forum that everyone left following a badly implemented re-design?

Lootman
The full Lemon

Post by Lootman »

MrFoolish wrote:I doubt they are trying to discourage PC use. After all, I can see they've made a lot of effort with the changes.
Not remotely close to my area of expertise so I will ask:

Would ii have to maintain two completely separate sets of code for the web and app versions?

Or will there be a great deal of commonality between them?

MrFoolish
Lemon Quarter

Post by MrFoolish »

Lootman wrote:
MrFoolish wrote:I doubt they are trying to discourage PC use. After all, I can see they've made a lot of effort with the changes.
Not remotely close to my area of expertise so I will ask:

Would ii have to maintain two completely separate sets of code for the web and app versions?

Or will there be a great deal of commonality between them?
Dunno but I wondered the same thing.

Think I've heard there are some development frameworks which attempt do both but I don't really know.

Return to “Brokers and Share Dealing”