Interactive Investor again!

Discuss Brokers, trading, fees, experiences
Lootman
The full Lemon

Re: Interactive Investor again!

Post by Lootman »

Dod101 wrote:They are just managers and custodians as far as I am concerned. I do not need any bells or whistles.
That's it. We just want something simple and low tech that does the basics. Whilst abrdn are trying to make it flashy and racy, presumably to attract the generation raised on smartphones. Quite a few of my kids' friends do not have or use a desktop or laptop at all - they just have a phone and use it for everything.

The twenty-something sales and marketing folks won the debate, evidently.

SalvorHardin
Lemon Quarter

Post by SalvorHardin »

Lootman wrote:
Dod101 wrote:They are just managers and custodians as far as I am concerned. I do not need any bells or whistles.
That's it. We just want something simple and low tech that does the basics. Whilst abrdn are trying to make it flashy and racy, presumably to attract the generation raised on smartphones. Quite a few of my kids' friends do not have or use a desktop or laptop at all - they just have a phone and use it for everything.

Someone really ought to tell them about the correlation between age and wealth.

I'm with Dod101 regarding what I want from them. Custody, dealing, settlement and processing dividends.

Over time I've learned to ignore flashy features on websites which are designed to attract the ADHD crowd. I'm helped by having been online in the mid-1990s when the graphics on most websites seemed to have been designed by someone on an acid trip.

Bouleversee
Lemon Quarter

Post by Bouleversee »

It presumably hasn't occurred to them that not all of their older clients, who often have large portfolios, even have smartphones, let alone are experts on computers or the vocabulary that goes with them. I thought I was reasonably competent for an 86 yr old but clearly not. I don't even understand the lingo. I think I'll just withdraw the uninvested cash as I don't have time for these complications.

1nvest
Lemon Quarter

Post by 1nvest »

Lootman wrote:

Smartphones are the track/trace, id cards.

A criminal event in a area, and geo-locations of all phones around that area at that time, coupled with street cams that identify the few that were in the area but had no phone/geo-location signal. Extended to Big-Data, tracking everyone, everywhere, all of the time ... and the state can pin down a probability short list quickly.

Fine in states where conditions/rules are reasonable, not so good if a more extreme government rises to power where what it considers reasonable might be more widely considered as being unreasonable, but where complaining in itself could be considered as a illegal activity by the state. Get into your high tech car only to hear "Sorry Mr Lootman, you're not permitted to travel/eat out tonight as your good citizen point score is too low".

1nvest
Lemon Quarter

Post by 1nvest »

Bouleversee wrote:It presumably hasn't occurred to them that not all of their older clients, who often have large portfolios, even have smartphones, let alone are experts on computers or the vocabulary that goes with them. I thought I was reasonably competent for an 86 yr old but clearly not. I don't even understand the lingo. I think I'll just withdraw the uninvested cash as I don't have time for these complications.
Mum, 91, just wants a TV remote with on/off volume up/down, channels BBC1, BBC2, ITV. And a phone with a simple on/off and press 1 for son, 2 for ... etc. for a limited/few numbers. No chance. Press and hold this button for 5 seconds to turn the device on, wait, and wait, right now clear all of the notifications, swipe this way, that way ... she just can't deal with all of that. Age discrimination. Mobile phone sellers offer devices that they consider to be 'simple' but still with way too many complexities for some.

I find with many web sites that the scaling is very poor. I use a large default font so in many cases web sites just don't cater for that, adds or other notification just fill/overlap to present a jumbled up mess, unusable in some cases. One possible cure is to zoom out, to micro-text level for those of us with aged eyes, to get a idea of what other things may be otherwise off-screen. Oh, it looks like there's a button in the lower right that at 'normal' size wasn't visible.

I find some food labelling to be just too small or bad colour choices, and I'm only in my early 60's. Designers of today just assume that everyone can see small text and use a particular regular resolution/font.

genou
Lemon Slice

Post by genou »

1nvest wrote: Designers of today just assume that everyone can see small text and use a particular regular resolution/font.
That's unlikely. They are almost certainly trying to comply with Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) 2.

It's not trivial - https://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG21/

And shortly to move to 2.2.

Bouleversee
Lemon Quarter

Post by Bouleversee »

genou wrote:
1nvest wrote: Designers of today just assume that everyone can see small text and use a particular regular resolution/font.
That's unlikely. They are almost certainly trying to comply with Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) 2.

It's not trivial - https://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG21/

And shortly to move to 2.2.
I had a quick look at that website and the type is certainly a lot clearer than on here, where I have to raise my eyebrows and lean forward to read it, which applies to most sites I look at.

pje16
Lemon Half

Post by pje16 »

pje16 wrote:
pje16 wrote: Quite clearly they should have left it how it was
It wasn't broken and it worked fine
Who were the brains behind this, it doesn't bode well for the future
Thank you for the votes

Below is the message trail

My first message
Site update
Why having a scrolling window inside the main one
You have now added funds in with equities, they were separate before
Gone is the daily gain/loss total
and the clever one click toggle expanding view of each holding, it now has to open an entire page
WHY fix what wasn't broken
you can guess I don't like it

Their response
I am sorry to hear you are experiencing issues with our new website. I apologise for any inconveniences this may have caused you. I will refer this information to the relevant department for feedback. You can amend the view you have on the investment page. To do this, please click on the three dots to the left of the 'group by' option on the investment page, to add/remove different columns depending on how you want to view your investments.

My reply
Thank you for your reply
Yes you can click on the dots and arrange, but that is a waste of time as it does not remember the setting the next time you login on
Also, the 30 day "remember my login" does not work, I have to use MFA every day
Why did I have to see a large box telling me I have 2 Corporate actions, I should be able to turn that on/off

I am a member of a financial forum and if you look at the link below you will see I am not alone in thinking the update has given us nothing worthwhile and taken away a lot that was good

https://www.lemonfool.co.uk/viewtopic.p ... 00#p562167

Please just tell me why it was done, what is better now than before

Let's see if they listen
EIGHT days later a reply

====================================================================================
We are aware that the Column Configurator is reverting back once saved and have reported the issue to our web development team.

The remember my browser issue has now been fixed. Customers will no longer need to go through two factor authentication each time they log in.

We have implemented this change to provide our customers with an improved experience. The new website has been developed with the interests of our customers in mind using feedback on the previous version. We have also carried out extensive research and testing with real users to ensure the website is as user friendly as possible. The new website also provides a more modern and secure platform, which allows for greater flexibility when carrying out maintenance, meaning the website is less likely to be unavailable at weekends.

I am sorry to hear you are unhappy with the new website, we appreciate that this is a big change. Our Development Team are welcoming all feedback and I can relay any comments back to them for you.
===================================================

Yes "remember my browser issue has now been fixed"
It now works for me

Alaric
Lemon Half

Post by Alaric »

pje16 wrote:We have also carried out extensive research and testing with real users to ensure the website is as user friendly as possible.
It would appear they only tested how it looks and not how it works. How then did the failure of 2FA to remember itself fall through the net? Same applies to the feature to modify the layout. Never mind how it looks, it was an elementary failure when it defaulted back to the original settings on every login.

Does anyone remember being asked if they wanted the website changed?

Lootman
The full Lemon

Post by Lootman »

Alaric wrote:
pje16 wrote:We have also carried out extensive research and testing with real users to ensure the website is as user friendly as possible.
It would appear they only tested how it looks and not how it works. How then did the failure of 2FA to remember itself fall through the net? Same applies to the feature to modify the layout. Never mind how it looks, it was an elementary failure when it defaulted back to the original settings on every login.

Does anyone remember being asked if they wanted the website changed?
I wonder if these changes were underway before abrdn took over from ii in 2022?

Or since, and were rushed in their haste to put their stamp on it.

88V8
Lemon Quarter

Post by 88V8 »

Alaric wrote:Does anyone remember being asked if they wanted the website changed?
They changed it previously... a couple of years ago?... but there were so many objections from customers like me who didn't like the new look, that they left they Classic View in operation.
And if they were to reinstate it now, they can do whatever they want with the rest of the site.

I had another go today at altering/deleting columns. See tomorrow whether it's stuck.
Can you think of any other public-facing website which has to be 'customised' by the users to make it usable?

V8

pje16
Lemon Half

Post by pje16 »

88V8 wrote:
Alaric wrote:Does anyone remember being asked if they wanted the website changed?
They changed it previously... a couple of years ago?... but there were so many objections from customers like me who didn't like the new look, that they left they Classic View in operation.
And if they were to reinstate it now, they can do whatever they want with the rest of the site.

I had another go today at altering/deleting columns. See tomorrow whether it's stuck.
Can you think of any other public-facing website which has to be 'customised' by the users to make it usable?

V8
I like the fact that you can customise it
you can then get what "YOU" want
it just needs to work

BobGe
Lemon Slice

Post by BobGe »

Just tried copying some data from an order line in 'transaction history' and as soon as you highlight and release it causes a pop-up box to activate - you can't copy!! Pop-up box full of unwanted detail in unwanted format. Useless.

'Portfolios'; 'Orders'.... Same with any lines relating to a 'stock' or investment it seems, page redirects or pop-ups is all I get. (Was it like this before? I don't recall so...)

Then thought I'd check to see 'document history' - the page won't load. Nor will a good number (probably the majority) of other sub-menu pages. Reported this before but thought it was just a 'small hours' access issue as it was later daytime functional. But not today, 10:30am on a quiet Friday. 30 mins later it still isn't. (I'll try the first rule of IT maintenance - "have you tried turning it off and on again?", or in this case log off and on.)

pje16
Lemon Half

Post by pje16 »

BobGe wrote:Just tried copying some data from an order line in 'transaction history' and as soon as you highlight and release it causes a pop-up box to activate - you can't copy!! Pop-up box full of unwanted detail in unwanted format. Useless.
For me that happens on debit entries but not on credits
Guess that's because the credit amounts have no hyperlinks (even though the hand appears) :roll:
doc history won't work

https://secure.ii.co.uk/webbroker2/ssoh ... ache=false

If you get a link with cache false at the end just log out and back in again

Alaric
Lemon Half

Post by Alaric »

BobGe wrote:Just tried copying some data from an order line in 'transaction history' and as soon as you highlight and release it causes a pop-up box to activate - you can't copy!! )
It may be a new feature, but download as CSV seems to work. You then open the csv file with Excel, Libre Office or spreadsheet of your choice.

(That's assuming a Windows pc)

pje16
Lemon Half

Post by pje16 »

Alaric wrote:
BobGe wrote:Just tried copying some data from an order line in 'transaction history' and as soon as you highlight and release it causes a pop-up box to activate - you can't copy!! )
It may be a new feature, but download as CSV seems to work. You then open the csv file with Excel, Libre Office or spreadsheet of your choice.

(That's assuming a Windows pc)
As In posted earlier, they have changed the format of the CSV file, so if you have collated them into a spreadsheet before the update, be careful

MrFoolish
Lemon Quarter

Post by MrFoolish »

I just tried a trade, and to be fair, that all went ok. I can see they've made some effort with this.

But I'm still hating the tables with the complicated scrolling and all the wasted space. The "Transactions" table is as bad as "Investments". I've sent them another message about it. Think we have to be persistent in letting them know.

pje16
Lemon Half

Post by pje16 »

MrFoolish wrote:Think we have to be persistent in letting them know.
I agree totally but am dismayed by the ridiculous message on the home page
“We're pleased to share we've updated the look and feel of our website. It's all part of our plan to gradually improve your online experience with us.”

Just how gradual do they mean? :roll:

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Post by mc2fool »

BobGe wrote:Just tried copying some data from an order line in 'transaction history' and as soon as you highlight and release it causes a pop-up box to activate - you can't copy!!
Workaround: press Ctrl-C before releasing the mouse button. So, click-down, drag to select, Ctrl-C, release.

Yes, less than ideal but useful to know if needs be....

Bouleversee
Lemon Quarter

Post by Bouleversee »

What intrigues me is how the figures in the various columns are going to be updated if we all choose and institute different layouts.

I have just been on to my account to read their latest secure message and check my portfolio. The message said again that the logout was necessary for security purposes and it wasn't possible to opt out of it even if you were always typing the messages at home on a laptop with nobody else in the house. What is idiotic about that is that typing a secure message doesn't reveal any financial information whereas I can be looking at my portfolio etc. and possibly even trading for absolutely ages without getting logged out. I had complained about the illogicality of the location of the various columns with the day's movement/percentage on the extreme right, added by them, so they gave instructions as to how to move it.

When I clicked on my p/f, the notice came up about the SETS auction so I went back later after auction time and was surprised to see that the total value had gone down by nearly £6k after the auction finished. I haven't tried to do anything else yet. I wonder if the techies responsible for the new layout have accounts with ii themselves.

Return to “Brokers and Share Dealing”