Tesco cremated steak

incorporating Recipes and Cooking
sg31
Lemon Quarter

Re: Tesco cremated steak

Post by sg31 »

BobbyD wrote:
Resting is of course good, but the thing which makes most difference to meat generally and steak in particular in my book is salting. In the case of
a steak 40+ mins before cooking, enough time for the salt to draw liquid out of the steak and then be carried in as the moisture is reabsorbed. Resting reduces juice loss during eating, salting means it retains more juice during cooking. Thankfully we don't live in a world where you have to choose one or the other.
Is that salting or brining?

BobbyD
Lemon Half

Re: Tesco cremated steak

Post by BobbyD »

sg31 wrote:
BobbyD wrote:
Resting is of course good, but the thing which makes most difference to meat generally and steak in particular in my book is salting. In the case of
a steak 40+ mins before cooking, enough time for the salt to draw liquid out of the steak and then be carried in as the moisture is reabsorbed. Resting reduces juice loss during eating, salting means it retains more juice during cooking. Thankfully we don't live in a world where you have to choose one or the other.
Is that salting or brining?
Salting. Obviously related but much less messy, and easier for meats you want to sear which requires a dry surface. Simply sprinkle salt over the meat, I generally do this when removing it from the fridge an hour plus prior to cooking.

Timing is important. Lots of people salt to season immediately before cooking, and you'll hear that you should only season immediately prior to cooking to avoid liquid loss and to keep the surface dry for a good sear. The reasoning is good. Salt will draw liquid out of the meat, and a few minutes after salting you have effectively created a self wettening surface which will self-steam rather than frying, but if you leave it longer you'll see the liquid reabsorbed and the surface dried, you'll have meat which is seasoned from the inside, and loses less liquid during cooking. However you prepare steak I'd always give it a quick wipe with kitchen roll before putting it in the pan to ensure the surface is as dry as possible.

Return to “Food”