The Beer You Are Drinking Right Now

your favourite tipple - wine, beer, spirits
Hallucigenia
Lemon Quarter

Re: The Beer You Are Drinking Right Now

Post by Hallucigenia »

AleisterCrowley wrote:I think Becks Blue is one of the better ones ! It's not lager, but OK as a cold beery drink with a meal. I had a dreadful alky free one once - might have been Löwenbräu, tasted of artificial sweetener
The technology has vastly improved, so that Becks Blue is now one of the worse ones - albeit it's the one that you tend to see in pubs. The supermarkets have got a lot better as they have to cater to the drink driving laws in Scotland - things like Erdinger are now pretty widely available and miles better than Becks Blue, and Clausthaler is nothing like how you may remember it from the 90s.

Have a look at www.alcoholfree.co.uk (no affiliation other than as occasional customer) for what's available if you're prepared to look for it - some of their wines are interesting too....

JMN2
Lemon Quarter

Post by JMN2 »

Non-alcohol low-alcohol "beer"...I'd rather ask for tap water or stay at home instead.

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Post by AleisterCrowley »

I must say, if I'm not drinking I'll normally go for lime and soda, or elderflower cordial if they've got it. A decent low/zero alcohol lager can go well with food if it has a bit of 'bite' though
@Hallucigenia - thanks , will have a look but worried they may sign me up to teetotalism :-(

UncleEbenezer
Lemon Half

Post by UncleEbenezer »

AleisterCrowley wrote: worried they may sign me up to teetotalism :-(
It's not such a bad fate. I'm teetotal every morning. Indeed, the vast majority of days, my teetotalism extends up to the time of my evening meal. Except one day a week when I don't get an evening meal until I'm back from the boozer.

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Unless I'm on holiday, my drinking window is 5pm Friday- circa 1am Sunday. My poor old body can't cope with midweek beer extravaganzas.
Hmm, 12.13. 4h47m to go...

JMN2
Lemon Quarter

Post by JMN2 »

Well. I'm going to start today right now and when I get to the Lagunitas IPA bottle I'll see if it shows where it was bottled.

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Pace yourself..... :)

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Post by redsturgeon »

Couple a pints of Red Cat Prowler hand pumped up from the cellar at my local, while step daughter and husband were telling Mrs RS and me that grandchild number two is on the way. Happy days!

FWIW Brewdog Nanny State is a very drinkable alcohol free beer IMHO.

John

JMN2
Lemon Quarter

Post by JMN2 »

Happy days indeed, RS!

Lagunitas IPA. Doesn't really say where it's brewed, but it does say Adnams Plc Southwold...very nice old fashioned AIPA anyway, a bit of resin and grapefruit, less papaya and mango.

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Congrats RS, I will raise a glass in the general direction of Winchester tonight
I need a beer I was at the dentist earlier and emerged somewhat lighter in the wallet area :-(

JMN2
Lemon Quarter

Post by JMN2 »

I still get misty eyes when I remember Safeway's before Morrison's beer selection. Their beer buyer just died recently by the way. Anyhow, I just cracked open a can of Victory Brewing Co's from Pennsylvania, Vital IPA. Victory had some of their beers at Safeways in the very late 90's,and I noticed this Vital IPA at Sainsbury's today. Never had this before. Malty, sturdy body but lacks bitterness, almost there. 6.5%. Not too shabby.

simoan
Lemon Quarter

Post by simoan »

I realise it's just me but I have never seen the point of alcohol free beer. Why bother? Other non-alcoholic drinks are available and most are infinitely better than a beer shed of it's taste and main purpose in life.

Si

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

i'd never drink an alky free just so other people think I'm drinking - happy to have an orange and lemonade- but sometimes a decent low alc beer just goes with a burger/barbecue whatever if real beer isn't an option

JMN2
Lemon Quarter

Post by JMN2 »

Si, it's not just you. The best non-alcohol drink is water. 2nd best is coffee. 3rd is blackcurrant juice.
Best drink overall, vitamins, fibre, antioxidants, all the goodness - is beer.

Goose Island IPA can, knocking down these tiny cans or tins, this one is my favourite because it has a fair bit of coarse hoppiness ie bite.

I am boiling here. Luckily I still have a 4-pack of Ghostship cans and 2x proper job - just to get the job done...

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Post by redsturgeon »

Only time a go no alcohol route is if I am doing dry January.

There is only so much coke/water/lime and soda a person can drink and I only drink espresso so that does not perform the same function as a pint!

John

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Right, off to Reading in search of REAL BEER

JMN2
Lemon Quarter

Post by JMN2 »

AleisterCrowley wrote:Right, off to Reading in search of REAL BEER
Aah, my Alma Mater, when it used to be a sh*thole, before gentrification and big business offices.

redsturgeon
Lemon Half

Post by redsturgeon »

JMN2 wrote:
AleisterCrowley wrote:Right, off to Reading in search of REAL BEER
Aah, my Alma Mater, when it used to be a sh*thole, before gentrification and big business offices.
It is now a sh*thole with gentrification and big business offices! :D

John

JMN2
Lemon Quarter

Post by JMN2 »

I remember, had my first proper job while still living in the St George's Hall that summer, took the train 6am and back to Reading around midnight, walk up to the hall. First weekend on Saturday walked to Reading shopping center, the old one, before any fancy developments, ordered a ham and mushrooms pizza and an eye-talian bottle of beer. Making £25k and got $13k bonus at Christmas for the half year, Christmas party in NY, all expenses paid, for a spouse too. Two years later bought a house in Ashtead Surrey.

I really understand and feel for the young today, that route is so much more difficult today if not impossible for the 99 per cent. So I think at some stage soon it is going to blow up, meanwhile I am having an Adnams Ghosthip and enjoying my hideaway bungalow in the north east. :cry:

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Sitting out front of the Three Guineas drinking Seafarer- if anyone fancies a pint , I'm the ugly 6ft bloke dressed entirely in black, so come on down :-)

Return to “Drink”