The Beer You Are Drinking Right Now

your favourite tipple - wine, beer, spirits
JMN2
Lemon Quarter

Re: The Beer You Are Drinking Right Now

Post by JMN2 »

redsturgeon wrote:Just had a can of Beavertown Neck Oil, described as a session IPA...yup I could do a few of those in an evening.

John
John old bean, neck oil...lubrication for our old necks :roll:

BrummieDave
Lemon Slice

Post by BrummieDave »

Neck Oil, as a session beer, it was named by Logan Plant, Beavertown founder, after what his grandad used to tell his son, Logan's more famous dad, to lubricate himself with after a raucous concert belting out his songs a full pelt.

Not sure if it's a Black Country saying, but it's a lovely tribute to Mr Plant senior.

JMN2
Lemon Quarter

Post by JMN2 »

Brakspear Oxford Gold, from Morrisons at £1 a bottle. A decent golden ale, not sweet, some hop bite. One of my regular supermarket beers.

UncleEbenezer
Lemon Half

Post by UncleEbenezer »

JMN2 wrote:Brakspear Oxford Gold, from Morrisons at £1 a bottle.
Now? I might very well make a trip to Morrison for my next general supermarket shop if that offer's current!

Or something you picked up on special offer sometime?

JMN2
Lemon Quarter

Post by JMN2 »

UncleEbenezer wrote:
JMN2 wrote:Brakspear Oxford Gold, from Morrisons at £1 a bottle.
Now? I might very well make a trip to Morrison for my next general supermarket shop if that offer's current!

Or something you picked up on special offer sometime?
Oxted Morrissons, the offer wasn't there yesterday. Might not apply to your local Morrisons.

didds
Lemon Quarter

Post by didds »

Currently drinking the remnants of the Devizes Beer Festival yesterday :-)

Meanwhile - anybody ever tried "Wye" by Thornbridge?

didds

Hallucigenia
Lemon Quarter

Post by Hallucigenia »

The cucumber one? No, but of all their beers that's the one I most want to try!

Anything stand out at the festival?

simoan
Lemon Quarter

Post by simoan »

I just got back from two weeks in Tuscany. If you're in the Chianti region and jaded by the choice of drinking Moretti and Poretti (not to mention the local red wines) then the Chianti Brew Fighters based in Radda make a gorgeous hoppy Golden Ale called "La Vallana" which is available at all good outlets (including some Coops). They also make three other beers including a stout but it was too bloody hot to contemplate stout :)

All the best, Si

GrandOiseau
Lemon Slice

Post by GrandOiseau »

My pap has multiple health issues and he's just gone into a new nursing care home. Apparently he'd refused all medication, food and being washed yesterday. I took in a bottle of Titanic Plum Porter. Sunk it in 15 minutes. And was quite happy to take his medication 10 minutes later aswell.

JMN2
Lemon Quarter

Post by JMN2 »

GrandOiseau wrote:My pap has multiple health issues and he's just gone into a new nursing care home. Apparently he'd refused all medication, food and being washed yesterday. I took in a bottle of Titanic Plum Porter. Sunk it in 15 minutes. And was quite happy to take his medication 10 minutes later aswell.
Beer - the great conflict resolver.

JMN2
Lemon Quarter

Post by JMN2 »

I am quite convinced cask ale makes its drinker jovial, I have never seen any aggression in a micropub or a CAMRA beer festival.

GrandOiseau
Lemon Slice

Post by GrandOiseau »

Good job I didn't give him Stella I guess!

jfgw
Lemon Quarter

Post by jfgw »

JMN2 wrote:I am quite convinced cask ale makes its drinker jovial, I have never seen any aggression in a micropub or a CAMRA beer festival.
Watch out now there are keykegs about!

Julian F. G. W.

didds
Lemon Quarter

Post by didds »

Hallucigenia wrote:The cucumber one? No, but of all their beers that's the one I most want to try!

Anything stand out at the festival?

Yes -0 the cucumber one.

It was "marmite" like I think I could say!

Blubarb and Custard, by Blue Monkey was the first to go ie sold out. I liked it - nthough the rhubarb initial falvour was very evident (and pleasant, but then I like rhubarb!), I can;t say I really got the "CUSTARD" bit. lots of excellent ales - can;t say i had a favoutite TBH. Williams Brothers Black, Vibrant Forest Black Forest, Tripple FFF Goldfffinger... those are some I remember :-)

If you have untappd, Devizes CAMRA Beer Festival was/is an event/location so you should I am told be able to see the beer and cider list.

didds

Hallucigenia
Lemon Quarter

Post by Hallucigenia »

It's at https://untappd.com/v/devizes-camra-bee ... al/4984171 but it looks like that's the "live" version as of late Saturday, so doesn't have things like the Blubarb. Interesting if you sort that list by Untappd rating - top-ranked is the Fallen Acorn cask pilsner, followed by the Arbor/Moor imperial stout, Siren White Tips and Plum Porter. Neepsend Litchi also surprisingly high up the list.

I've never seen Fraoch in cask before; the Tapout Altbier, Cromarty Whiteout, Loch Lomond Loch Stock & Barrel, Nene Valley supersonic, Snozzell Icon, Swannay mild, West Berks Stegri's Enigma catch the eye. Also the Rioja and Rum cask ciders. Things like Millionaire and Maverick are benchmarks of messed-about-with drinks, not many can mess about with adjuncts with such restraint, they're both great but maybe a bit much in this weather.

UncleIan
Lemon Slice

Post by UncleIan »

Surrey Hills Brewery - Ranmore

Last night, country pub garden as the sun went down, just the ticket.

UncleEbenezer
Lemon Half

Post by UncleEbenezer »

Just enjoying a very refreshing Franziskaner. To my taste, one of the best wheat beers to be widely available in Blighty.

Out of curiosity, I googled, and found there's another Franziskaner, with a blue label. It's one of those low-alcohol jobs: 0.5% as opposed to 5% in the one I know and love. Anyone know if that's worth a try? Or keeping a couple of bottles around the place for drivers?

Hallucigenia
Lemon Quarter

Post by Hallucigenia »

These days the alcohol-free options from German/Czech/Spanish breweries are pretty good when it comes to lager and wheat beer - if your guests are normally happy with say Heineken then they'll struggle to tell the difference. Apart from Becks Blue that is, which is significantly nastier than most.

Some people may have a problem with it being part of ABInbev since 2003 (well, Interbrew), having been bought by Lowenbrau in 1997.

AleisterCrowley
Lemon Half

Post by AleisterCrowley »

I think Becks Blue is one of the better ones ! It's not lager, but OK as a cold beery drink with a meal. I had a dreadful alky free one once - might have been Löwenbräu, tasted of artificial sweetener
(My mum brought me some real Löwenbräu back from Munich once which was vastly better than the UK stuff, which seems to have died out thankfully)

Hallucigenia
Lemon Quarter

Post by Hallucigenia »

Oh, the other thing I meant to say - you want to watch the best before dates on alcohol-free beer as they're generally pretty short - 6 months typically. So not so good for the "someone might be driving" store cupboard. I did have one the other day that was dated for a year - the newish Nirvana brewery in London has both a pale ale and a stout. Sadly they''re not quite there yet - the pale ale in particular was overtly musty, the stout was better but you wouldn't mistake it for the real thing.

Return to “Drink”