Energy costs. Oh dear.......

Making your money go further
BullDog
Lemon Quarter

Re: Energy costs. Oh dear.......

Post by BullDog »

It's not especially cold yet but the trend in our gas consumption is clearly upwards as you'd expect as autumn transitions into winter. Presently our gas consumption is heading towards £5 per day with the government cap on tariffs in place. I guess by the time we get to January or February if there's a really cold snap I can see us using maybe £15 a day of gas. Over a 30 day month that's quite scary. To date our gas price has increased 3.5x this year. Without government intervention it would have been 5x.

I know there's some strong negative opinions voiced here about domestic smart energy meters. But being able to download our daily energy consumption in a .csv file in 30 minute increments is proving very enlightening. That's just not possible with a dumb meter.

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Post by AF62 »

As my supplier, Octopus, is one of the companies taking up the Ofgem scheme that pays people to reduce electricity consumption (https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-63483668) I have had the first invitation - for tomorrow for every kWh I reduce my electricity consumption for the hour between 5 and 6 pm from the previous 10 day average then they will pay me £2.25.

Only issue is I only tend to use around 0.5kWh in that hour and frankly I am not sure making any changes to save 20p or so is worth it.

chas49
Lemon Quarter

Post by chas49 »

AF62 wrote:As my supplier, Octopus, is one of the companies taking up the Ofgem scheme that pays people to reduce electricity consumption (https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-63483668) I have had the first invitation - for tomorrow for every kWh I reduce my electricity consumption for the hour between 5 and 6 pm from the previous 10 day average then they will pay me £2.25.

Only issue is I only tend to use around 0.5kWh in that hour and frankly I am not sure making any changes to save 20p or so is worth it.
Snap! I downloaded my smart meter data for the last month and my average usage for the hour 1700-1800 is 0.4kWh. So if I turn everything off for an hour, I could save the cost of that 0.4kWh and also be paid 40% of £2.25 - so that's (I think) a maximum of £1.03 if I sit in the dark with everything unplugged for an hour. I'll then have to go round resetting the oven clock, plugging various devices which are normally on standby back in. And the central heating will go off because it needs power too.

I don't think I'll try. OTOH I have opted in because I get an entry into a prize draw.....

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Post by AF62 »

chas49 wrote:OTOH I have opted in because I get an entry into a prize draw.....
But if that is like spinning their wheel of chance you will undoubtably win... £0.00

Dod101
The full Lemon

Post by Dod101 »

chas49 wrote:
AF62 wrote:As my supplier, Octopus, is one of the companies taking up the Ofgem scheme that pays people to reduce electricity consumption (https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-63483668) I have had the first invitation - for tomorrow for every kWh I reduce my electricity consumption for the hour between 5 and 6 pm from the previous 10 day average then they will pay me £2.25.

Snap! I downloaded my smart meter data for the last month and my average usage for the hour 1700-1800 is 0.4kWh. So if I turn everything off for an hour, I could save the cost of that 0.4kWh and also be paid 40% of £2.25 - so that's (I think) a maximum of £1.03 if I sit in the dark with everything unplugged for an hour. I'll then have to go round resetting the oven clock, plugging various devices which are normally on standby back in. And the central heating will go off because it needs power too.

I don't think I'll try. OTOH I have opted in because I get an entry into a prize draw.....
I can't imagine that they expect you to sit in the dark, but presumably to delay using your oven and kettle during that period. But it does not sound much of an incentive, I must say.

Dod

chas49
Lemon Quarter

Post by chas49 »

Dod101 wrote:I can't imagine that they expect you to sit in the dark, but presumably to delay using your oven and kettle during that period. But it does not sound much of an incentive, I must say.

Dod
Unfortunately for me, I already don't use the heavy draw appliances in that hour it seems. Oh well...

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Post by Itsallaguess »

chas49 wrote:
I downloaded my smart meter data for the last month and my average usage for the hour 1700-1800 is 0.4kWh.

So if I turn everything off for an hour, I could save the cost of that 0.4kWh and also be paid 40% of £2.25 - so that's (I think) a maximum of £1.03 if I sit in the dark with everything unplugged for an hour.

I'll then have to go round resetting the oven clock, plugging various devices which are normally on standby back in. And the central heating will go off because it needs power too.

Given that they must have very granular usage stats for them to be able to accurately reward anyone they've contacted regarding this scheme, it does seem odd to hear that some of those directly contacted can't see any large benefit in joining in.

I wonder if they've not looked too much into 'regular usage patterns', and simply used an algorithm that looks into 'have they ever in the past xx months used a high-load during this period', and you've perhaps done that so rarely that it's proving their trigger-points for contacting people to not be worthwhile in more general terms for some people...

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

daveh
Lemon Quarter

Post by daveh »

chas49 wrote:
Dod101 wrote:I can't imagine that they expect you to sit in the dark, but presumably to delay using your oven and kettle during that period. But it does not sound much of an incentive, I must say.

Dod
Unfortunately for me, I already don't use the heavy draw appliances in that hour it seems. Oh well...
Yes 5pm to 6pm is not a high energy time for me on a week day, generally I'll just about have arrived home so cooking usually doesn't start until after 6pm. I already time shift the washing machine into the early hours just as a green measure to spread the load into low load periods and anyway its only 2 runs a week. My present low usage is not going to make me much if I was with one of the suppliers taking part (i'm with OVO).

BullDog
Lemon Quarter

Post by BullDog »

Yesterday between 17.00 and 18.00 it seems we used 0.288kwhr of electricity. Not much I can do to reduce that really. Haven't been asked to reduce today anyway. We have registered for the energy reduction incentive scheme though, signed up the day it came out.

DeepSporran

Post by DeepSporran »

I’ve just downloaded the last 10 days worth and done the sums.

Mmm …

If we switch everything off at the fuse box and sit in the dark for an hour we’ll make £0.62. We’ll then have to reset 3 clocks (could be worse !)

Don’t think we’ll bother. If our household was regularly using the oven and the washing machine etc at that time then the scheme would work for us maybe.

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Post by AF62 »

Itsallaguess wrote:
Given that they must have very granular usage stats for them to be able to accurately reward anyone they've contacted regarding this scheme, it does seem odd to hear that some of those directly contacted can't see any large benefit in joining in.

I wonder if they've not looked too much into 'regular usage patterns', and simply used an algorithm that looks into 'have they ever in the past xx months used a high-load during this period', and you've perhaps done that so rarely that it's proving their trigger-points for contacting people to not be worthwhile in more general terms for some people...
The scheme is an opt in scheme for any of the customers of the companies, provided they have a working smart meter, so it isn’t the energy companies offering it only to those who won’t benefit.

When you opt in you don’t know when the reduction slots will be, only that there will be a certain number over a period of time.

How the energy companies have chosen the slots - no idea. I would guess that there are some households who use a reasonable amount of electricity in that period (e.g. families with small children with a meal being cooked) and as the trial is being conducted with Ofgem then maybe it was chosen to see if those households would change their energy consumption or not.

DrFfybes
Lemon Quarter

Post by DrFfybes »

AF62 wrote: Given there is virtually no difference in price between the various energy companies at the moment, now seems the ideal time to move to whichever offers the best customer service - and those with overseas call centres are unlikely to be top of the list.
I thought exactly that - finally get the gas meter connected to the smart system and an in-house display configured.

Sadly the govt then started giving us £400 in installments, and there's no way I'd trust Outfox to get that sorted, never mind the credit I've built up.

Howyoudoin
Lemon Quarter

Post by Howyoudoin »

I’ve also had the email from Octopus and opted in for curiosity value more than anything else. As others have suggested it seems like a very strange hour to pick, especially now that the clocks have gone back and it will be dark by 5pm.

It will amusing to see how many of us get a rebate. And of those that do, if any of them get a rebate under 10p. :D

HYD

chas49
Lemon Quarter

Post by chas49 »

Bit of a glitch on Octopus.

Posted on Facebook:
Big, huge Saving Session Sorry from us. This is what you were all supposed to see when your first Session ended.
We've *NOT* missed your meter readings or been unable to retrieve them – you'll get your results within 48 hours and we're getting this incorrect message fixed ASAP.
Source: https://www.facebook.com/octopusenergy/ ... 5124114339

DeepSporran

Post by DeepSporran »

Well, despite my initial lack of enthusiasm, we did take part in the Octopus Saving Session last Tuesday. As a low user at that time of day, the potential rewards were never going to be significant.

Octopus have reported the results today - and we’ve earned 35 pence !

Our penance was to sit in the dark in the kitchen for an hour watching a film on Netflix on the iPad. I switched off the fridge and freezer for that hour but left on the router and anything else that was on standby.

We are unlikely to repeat the experiment on future Savings Sessions, or if we do it’ll just be making sure we don’t use the oven at that time. Never have the dishwasher or washing machine going in that time slot anyway. Too risky to be switching off the fridge and freezer regularly.

I still think the scheme is a good idea though - Octopus report that the reduction in demand during the session was the equivalent to turning off a regular gas fuelled power station.

Howyoudoin
Lemon Quarter

Post by Howyoudoin »

:D
Howyoudoin wrote:

I’ve also had the email from Octopus and opted in for curiosity value more than anything else. As others have suggested it seems like a very strange hour to pick, especially now that the clocks have gone back and it will be dark by 5pm.

It will amusing to see how many of us get a rebate. And of those that do, if any of them get a rebate under 10p. :D

HYD

Ha ha, well I’ve received my answer to the above from Octopus:

You saved 0.026kWh and earned 48 OctoPoints – worth £0.06.

Result! :D

HYD

BullDog
Lemon Quarter

Post by BullDog »

Just thought I'd mention an app I have started using on my tablet connected to my smart meters. Use it in place of an in home display that was never accurate and can't work with time of day tariffs.

Smart meter naysayers, no point in reading further, thanks.

There's a company called Hildebrand that markets an in home smart meter display but they have a free to download and use app called Bright that I have been using for a few weeks now. It's available for Android and Apple devices. I don't see a need for an in home display if you use the Bright app to keep track of your gas and electricity usage. I mention Hiidebrand as the app developer since there are several other apps called Bright but only the Hildebrand one is a smart meter monitor. It's free and simple to set up. I recommend anyone who is interested in monitoring energy use and has smart meters give it a whirl. Nothing to lose.

There's a couple of alternative apps out there but I have only tried the one call Bright. It does what it says on the tin.

swill453
Lemon Half

Post by swill453 »

BullDog wrote:Just thought I'd mention an app I have started using on my tablet connected to my smart meters. Use it in place of an in home display that was never accurate and can't work with time of day tariffs.

There's a company called Hildebrand that markets an in home smart meter display but they have a free to download and use app called Bright that I have been using for a few weeks now. It's available for Android and Apple devices. I don't see a need for an in home display if you use the Bright app to keep track of your gas and electricity usage. I mention Hiidebrand as the app developer since there are several other apps called Bright but only the Hildebrand one is a smart meter monitor. It's free and simple to set up. I recommend anyone who is interested in monitoring energy use and has smart meters give it a whirl. Nothing to lose.

There's a couple of alternative apps out there but I have only tried the one call Bright. It does what it says on the tin.
I moved into a house with smart meters already installed. My energy provider (Shell) doesn't have them configured into their system and seemingly can't do it easily. They've referred the issue to a 3rd party company to fix, and they have yet to contact me.

I don't have any display unit to go with the meters.

If I get this app, or any other, will I be able to get it to connect with my smart meters?

Scott.

BullDog
Lemon Quarter

Post by BullDog »

swill453 wrote:
BullDog wrote:Just thought I'd mention an app I have started using on my tablet connected to my smart meters. Use it in place of an in home display that was never accurate and can't work with time of day tariffs.

I moved into a house with smart meters already installed. My energy provider (Shell) doesn't have them configured into their system and seemingly can't do it easily. They've referred the issue to a 3rd party company to fix, and they have yet to contact me.

I don't have any display unit to go with the meters.

If I get this app, or any other, will I be able to get it to connect with my smart meters?

Scott.
Definitely if they're smets2 meters. If they're smets1 it's less clear. If you don't have an in home display (I threw mine away as it was useless) you give them a meter number off your bill and give them a scan or picture of a recent bill. Then they set up the access to your meters within the Bright app. It was very quick and easy for me and the customer support is surprisingly good for something you aren't paying for. Hope that helps.

PS - I just re read your message. If Shell aren't getting the data from your smart meters, Bright can't either. It's the same data stream as the supplier that Bright shows.

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Post by AF62 »

Howyoudoin wrote::D
Howyoudoin wrote: I’ve also had the email from Octopus and opted in for curiosity value more than anything else. As others have suggested it seems like a very strange hour to pick, especially now that the clocks have gone back and it will be dark by 5pm.

HYD

Ha ha, well I’ve received my answer to the above from Octopus:

You saved 0.026kWh and earned 48 OctoPoints – worth £0.06.

Result! :D

HYD
I saved 0.354kWh earning 80p, although I am not quite sure how as for half of the previous 10 days where they took the average use I had been away so the house was just ‘ticking over’.

Return to “Living Below Your Means”