Energy costs. Oh dear.......

Making your money go further
swill453
Lemon Half

Re: Energy costs. Oh dear.......

Post by swill453 »

pje16 wrote:
swill453 wrote: I don't think there's any need for cynicism in this instance. It's Ofgem that sets the regional capped rates.
Scott.
While that may be the case, why do they all have dozens of different tariffs?
Dunno, but I think 95% of their customers will be on the capped rate.

Scott.

pje16
Lemon Half

Post by pje16 »

swill453 wrote:Dunno, but I think 95% of their customers will be on the capped rate.
Scott.
Try your postcode here
Using mine, they differ by hundred of pounds
https://www.britishgas.co.uk/GetAQuote/ ... on/tariffs

NotSure
Lemon Slice

Post by NotSure »

pje16 wrote:
swill453 wrote:Dunno, but I think 95% of their customers will be on the capped rate.
Scott.
Try your postcode here
:shock:

Including "Vauxhall Corsa E Drivers" tariff! Not a huge market for that one, I wouldn't have thought.

staffordian
Lemon Quarter

Post by staffordian »

pje16 wrote:
Scott.
Try your postcode here
I'll wager virtually none of those are currently available. That looks to bring up a list of (mainly) historic tariffs so anyone who happens to be on one of them can confirm their prices.

All of the main suppliers used to tweak them on a regular basis back in the old pre-Putin days, dependng on where they wanted to be in the value lists, i.e. dependingon how keen they were to poach a few customers from the competition.

pje16
Lemon Half

Post by pje16 »

staffordian wrote:
pje16 wrote: Try your postcode here
I'll wager virtually none of those are currently available. That looks to bring up a list of (mainly) historic tariffs so anyone who happens to be on one of them can confirm their prices.
How are ones dated ending in 2023 and 2024 "historic"?

staffordian
Lemon Quarter

Post by staffordian »

pje16 wrote:
staffordian wrote: I'll wager virtually none of those are currently available. That looks to bring up a list of (mainly) historic tariffs so anyone who happens to be on one of them can confirm their prices.
How are ones dated ending in 2023 and 2024 "historic"?
Historic in the sense that they are no longer available; the date quoted, as you say, being the end date of the fix.

My EDF tariff is termed Fix Total Service Jul24v6 and has not been available for some weeks, so I'd call it a historic one.

richlist
Lemon Quarter

Post by richlist »

It's all really very simple. Only 2 things to remember :-
* Your energy costs will be capped and the price won't rise for the next 2 years.
* The less you use the less you'll pay.

pje16
Lemon Half

Post by pje16 »

staffordian wrote:
pje16 wrote: How are ones dated ending in 2023 and 2024 "historic"?
Historic in the sense that they are no longer available; the date quoted, as you say, being the end date of the fix.

My EDF tariff is termed Fix Total Service Jul24v6 and has not been available for some weeks, so I'd call it a historic one.
I only showed it to demonstrate how many tariffs there are
to counter the post that said rates we determined by OFGEM, and show how many deviations there are from the so called standard

swill453
Lemon Half

Post by swill453 »

pje16 wrote:I only showed it to demonstrate how many tariffs there are
to counter the post that said rates we determined by OFGEM, and show how many deviations there are from the so called standard
I didn't say "rates" were determined by Ofgem.

I said
It's Ofgem that sets the regional capped rates.

(Taking the government's price guarantee into account of course.)
Scott.

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Post by AF62 »

pje16 wrote:I only showed it to demonstrate how many tariffs there are
But the standard variable rate as a total of standing charge and unit price is determined by Ofgem, with utilities allowed some flexibility within the Ofgem rules about how they price those two elements provided the total meets the cap.

It is only fixed rates that are outside the cap. Some of those are fixed rates are historic and are no longer available, some were available as recent as last week (most utilities have ceased offering anything whilst they work out the impact of the Truss plan).

So unless you lucked out and managed to agree a fixed tariff before the current situation (and so are paying less) or decided to agree a fixed rate recently (paying more than the Ofgem rate hoping to avoid future rises in the cap), then the rate you pay is the standard rate determined by Ofgem.

And as most households have moved onto variable rates as they were cheaper than new fixed rates, that means for most households in the country then the rate is determined by Ofgem.

mutantpoodle
Lemon Slice

Post by mutantpoodle »

I think the reason suppliers re holding off giving their actual rates is down to government changes
(I realise this is not a politics board)
BUT
the one thing that is absolutely a fact, is that energy prices IS A POLITICAL ISSUE

imo, there is more than a passing chance that government will not get this latest idea (costing £150bn...or so depending who you read/listen to)
treasury officials might well not allow what might well be a national bankruptcy move

scotview
Lemon Quarter

Post by scotview »

AF62 wrote:(most utilities have ceased offering anything whilst they work out the impact of the Truss plan).
A couple of things, regardless of detailed rates, do you think :

1 The Truss plan be in place for two years ?

2 Will it be absolutely fixed and not vary regardless of wholesale market ? Will the October uplift no longer apply for example ?

3 Will energy companies, like Octopus, probably start reintroducing EV/smart meter deals and will they be cost effective ?

Last point, with our existing default tariff, it still seems to cost about half to run our BEV than it is to run our Petrol car, so at least that is a plus.

swill453
Lemon Half

Post by swill453 »

scotview wrote:
AF62 wrote:(most utilities have ceased offering anything whilst they work out the impact of the Truss plan).

2 Will it be absolutely fixed and not vary regardless of wholesale market ? Will the October uplift no longer apply for example ?

3 Will energy companies, like Octopus, probably start reintroducing EV/smart meter deals and will they be cost effective ?

Last point, with our existing default tariff, it still seems to cost about half to run our BEV than it is to run our Petrol car, so at least that is a plus.
The EPG will be in place for 2 years, the government have committed.

The only reason this could change would be if wholesale prices come down so far that retail prices could be reduced below the cap.

The energy retailers are free to offer other tariffs at any time.

Scott.

AF62
Lemon Quarter

Post by AF62 »

swill453 wrote:
scotview wrote: A couple of things, regardless of detailed rates, do you think :

The EPG will be in place for 2 years, the government have committed.

The only reason this could change would be if wholesale prices come down so far that retail prices could be reduced below the cap.

The energy retailers are free to offer other tariffs at any time.

Scott.
1 - Yes, unless something extraordinary happens politically.

2 - Capped, not fixed (and a nice blank cheque the government is writing), but the government hasn't committed to the £150 & £400 discount next year, or the extra support for the elderly and those on benefits.

3 - I would imagine so as they are fixed tariffs not caught be the cap. The announcement had some details about discounts for those on fixed price tariffs, but the wording made little sense and seemed to be to support those who had moved to more expensive fixed tariffs before the announcement. I would imagine there would need to be some rules to stop the utilities 'gaming the system' by introducing new tariffs after the announcement.

With the EV tariffs they are usually cost effective if you run an EV and they can be especially effective if you can time shift high energy use to that cheap time (dishwasher, washing machine, etc.).

BullDog
Lemon Quarter

Post by BullDog »

scotview wrote:

Agreed, our PHEV with a winter/summer miles per kw of between 2 and 3 with each kw/hr costing 7p, then that's significantly lower fuel cost than petrol or diesel.

mutantpoodle
Lemon Slice

Post by mutantpoodle »

richlist wrote:It's all really very simple. Only 2 things to remember :-
* Your energy costs will be capped and the price won't rise for the next 2 years.
you are mostly correct....BUT as some folk seem totally unable to understand what the 'cap' is
you should have added

your energy costs PER KWH UNIT will be capped, ......

XFool
The full Lemon

Post by XFool »

mutantpoodle wrote:
richlist wrote:It's all really very simple. Only 2 things to remember :-
you are mostly correct....BUT as some folk seem totally unable to understand what the 'cap' is
you should have added

your energy costs PER KWH UNIT will be capped, ......
Err... Here we go again!

So why do they vary? What about the standing charge?

See all of the above.

Perhaps the only really safe thing to say is: "It's going to cost you more." :(

richlist
Lemon Quarter

Post by richlist »

You are also mostly correct.....

* I should also include the fact that the standing charge is also capped for the next 2 years.
* Prices paid may of course still rise next year even though the unit price is capped. How ? Well we have not been told that any of the extra payments will be paid in year 2.......yet.

pje16
Lemon Half

Post by pje16 »

richlist wrote:Well we have not been told that any of the extra payments will be paid in year 2.......yet.
Indeed, and the £400 rebate that everyone gets, seems to just be for Oct 22-Mar 23

swill453
Lemon Half

Post by swill453 »

Moneysavingexpert has the regional unit rates and standing charges now https://www.moneysavingexpert.com/utili ... #unitrates (click the dropdown).

Scott.

Return to “Living Below Your Means”