Nationwide axing 3% interest on Flexplus Accounts

Discussing offers, rates and deals on suppliers
ffacoffipawb64
Lemon Pip

Nationwide axing 3% interest on Flexplus Accounts

Post by ffacoffipawb64 »

I have just read that Nationwide are axing the 3% interest on balances up to £2,500 from November due to rising insurance costs. This comes shortly after getting rid of the 5% on the linked monthly savings account.

Easier to switch elsewhere than all the faff of closing on the telephone.

supremetwo
Lemon Quarter

Re: Nationwide axing 3% interest on Flexplus Accounts

Post by supremetwo »

They are all on the interest reduction band waggon - most by around 20%.

And such income losses do not figure in the cost-of-living index for the retired with savings.

mutantpoodle
Lemon Slice

Post by mutantpoodle »

agree tough times for any savers

but....reductions of around 20% are bad enough...but this is a 100% reduction!

coming as it does at a time when the 'boss' gets a 2%+ pay increase for continuing to do the job he was employed to do................

ffacoffipawb64
Lemon Pip

Post by ffacoffipawb64 »

mutantpoodle wrote:agree tough times for any savers

but....reductions of around 20% are bad enough...but this is a 100% reduction!

coming as it does at a time when the 'boss' gets a 2%+ pay increase for continuing to do the job he was employed to do................
Not sure if this is the best packaged account now. My main bankers are first direct who have a similar offering. May switch this NW account over to them, saves liaising with NW to close the account.

Firstdirect have the RAC fir roadside assistance. NW seem to use local garages. Maybe RAC is better now that I have bought a plug in hybrid vehicle?

swill453
Lemon Half

Post by swill453 »

The 3% on £2,500 is only worth about £6/month. Easy enough to get 1.5% elsewhere so only a £3/month loss.

I'll still stick with my Flexplus account, mainly for the bundled European breakdown cover for my campervan.

The travel and mobile phone insurance is a bonus.

Scott.

mutantpoodle
Lemon Slice

Post by mutantpoodle »

agree its only a £3 net loss...in cash terms
but
when i took this account 3 years ago I advised of my high blood pressure....no additional cost iro the travel insurance
this week I advised again and its £24 extra...same pills same everything!

so its not just the interest that is 'hardening'

Breakdown is of good value
mobile phone...of value but not tested!

in short...its still good...just no longer great!

ffacoffipawb64
Lemon Pip

Post by ffacoffipawb64 »

mutantpoodle wrote:agree its only a £3 net loss...in cash terms
but
when i took this account 3 years ago I advised of my high blood pressure....no additional cost iro the travel insurance
this week I advised again and its £24 extra...same pills same everything!

so its not just the interest that is 'hardening'

Breakdown is of good value
mobile phone...of value but not tested!

in short...its still good...just no longer great!
Is it still the best though?

Yorkshire / Clydesdale Signature has Rewards at some retailers but doesnt tell you what these are though.

bruncher
Lemon Slice

Post by bruncher »

RBS looks like a similar offer to Nationwide, and they are offering £150 to switch. RBS also offer withdrawals and deposits at Post Office counters, whereas NWBS only offer withdrawals.

beseeinyou
Lemon Pip

Post by beseeinyou »

Which RBS account is that?, the only one I can see that is comparable is £20 per month whereas Nationwide is £13.

Beseeinyou

tea42
Lemon Slice

Post by tea42 »

I downgraded my account to Flexdirect which is free. As I am in my 70s with Type 2 diabetes so they screw me for travel insurance even though I am very fit and can easily do 100 miles on my bike, my phone is a sub £100 job and Autoaid do a great breakdown cover for £60. I think that Nationwides fees are now in joke territory. They came close to me junking them altogether.

bruncher
Lemon Slice

Post by bruncher »

beseeinyou wrote:Which RBS account is that?, the only one I can see that is comparable is £20 per month whereas Nationwide is £13.

Beseeinyou
They have four accounts not exactly the same but comparable.

swill453
Lemon Half

Post by swill453 »

tea42 wrote:I downgraded my account to Flexdirect which is free. As I am in my 70s with Type 2 diabetes so they screw me for travel insurance even though I am very fit and can easily do 100 miles on my bike, my phone is a sub £100 job and Autoaid do a great breakdown cover for £60. I think that Nationwides fees are now in joke territory. They came close to me junking them altogether.
The Europe-wide breakdown cover makes it worth it for me (for my campervan). I'm pretty sure it's the cheapest bank account that will give me that, plus travel insurance, plus fee-free cash withdrawals abroad. I agree the mobile phone insurance isn't valuable to a lot of people.

Scott.

beseeinyou
Lemon Pip

Post by beseeinyou »

"They have four accounts not exactly the same but comparable"

You can compare it of course but the only account they have that provides the same items (Worldwide Travel, Phones, Cars) is £7 per month more expensive, so now that I've compared it I don't see that it's better, it also doesn't include no fee cash withdrawals abroad.

Like Scott says I'm not fussed on the phone part of it, but we have 2 cars covered and my daughter is still covered with the Travel part too, so although I'm not happy about the interest part being removed at £156 for the year it still currently works for us.

Beseeinyou

Bminusrob
Lemon Slice

Post by Bminusrob »

The cost of the packaged account is now £13 a month. By keeping a balance of £3000 in the account, taking the interest into account, this was effectively £7 a month. Even at £13 a month, I don't think it is bad value. I left the AA as they kept on hiking the annual subscription to more or less £150, but even Green Flag basic was £70 or £80, which is half what the packaged account now costs.

I have never had occasion to use the travel or breakdown cover, but my wife and I both lost our mobile phones this year in an accident at sea, and the insurance company were extremely good in repalcing the phones.

I will stick with Nationwide until I am convinced that there is a better option.

mutantpoodle
Lemon Slice

Post by mutantpoodle »

its good to hear that someone has a good experience with 'claims'
I am sure most of us pay the fee for the benfit but hope not to need it!
so often we all part with our money for these things and can only hope that a claim will be properly seen to!

beseeinyou
Lemon Pip

Post by beseeinyou »

I had to claim the Travel Insurance part last year and found it all paid out ok, we've both used the car breakdown several times and they have been attended to promptly.

Beseeinyou

AJC5001
Lemon Slice

Post by AJC5001 »

beseeinyou wrote:I had to claim the Travel Insurance part last year and found it all paid out ok, we've both used the car breakdown several times and they have been attended to promptly.

Beseeinyou
I've got a Flexplus account but have never claimed on any of the insurance. On the car breakdown in particular (as it is most likely to be needed at short notice/in an emergency) how does this work in practice. If I ring the correct number, how do the call centre know that I have Nationwide cover? What identification checks do they employ? As this is a joint account and also covers us when a passenger in someone else's car, I would like to know the reality of this.
Thanks in advance for any responses.

Adrian

swill453
Lemon Half

Post by swill453 »

AJC5001 wrote:On the car breakdown in particular (as it is most likely to be needed at short notice/in an emergency) how does this work in practice. If I ring the correct number, how do the call centre know that I have Nationwide cover? What identification checks do they employ?
You just need to identify yourself in some way (account no., or probably name and address will do) and they take you through some typical bank security questions.

Scott.

beseeinyou
Lemon Pip

Post by beseeinyou »

As Scott says, they just verify your account details as per anytime you would phone them about any aspect of your account.

Beseeinyou

swill453
Lemon Half

Post by swill453 »

I wonder how many Flexplus accounts have zero balance yet this morning? Mine does.

Scott.

Return to “Bank Accounts Savings & ISAs”