Handling of typos and spelling errors.

Constructive suggestions only please.

Would you prefer moderators to silently correct blatant spelling errors / typos?

Yes
31%
No
54%
Other (please elaborate)
15%

Total votes: 39

tjh290633
Lemon Half

Re: Handling of typos and spelling errors.

Post by tjh290633 »

The obvious answer to those who object to editing on-line is to prepare your draft off-line using NotePad, or similar. Then you can peruse it at your leisure.

I understand that the late lamented Gengulphus used this approach for his magnum opi. (opuses?)

TJH

XFool
The full Lemon

Post by XFool »

tjh290633 wrote:The obvious answer to those who object to editing on-line is to prepare your draft off-line using NotePad, or similar. Then you can peruse it at your leisure.

I understand that the late lamented Gengulphus used this approach for his magnum opi. (opuses?)
It may be the "obvious answer", but it isn't! (Not entirely)

It certainly can help: which is why I often use that same approach myself. It helps avoid 'accidents', for one thing. But... NotePad itself does not normally include a spell checker, unlike a web browser. So actually, the editing window is better at this.

But this cannot guarantee to address all the other issues I mentioned, which go beyond simply spelling. And what about posts quoting other posts?

Lootman
The full Lemon

Post by Lootman »

tjh290633 wrote:The obvious answer to those who object to editing on-line is to prepare your draft off-line using NotePad, or similar. Then you can peruse it at your leisure.

I will do that when making a long and detailed post. But I rarely do those and certainly not on a Gengulphusian scale.

Didn't Mark Twain say: "I would have written a shorter letter but I didn't have the time"?

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Post by mc2fool »

XFool wrote:
mc2fool wrote:There's a Preview function one can and should use to check your post before submitting. Inevitably there are occasions when, even after previewing and carefully checking your post, you click Submit and then (groan!) spot some typos you'd somehow overlooked. It happens.
Exactly. I find this far more irritating in my own posts than in those of other posters. The preview and editing window gets you so far, but by no means all the way for more than one reason.

I find it is often just not possible to see obvious spelling mistakes, because you read what you meant to write, not always what is there. Secondly, it's far more than spelling mistakes - at least it is with me. It's also unnoticed errors (such as stray words) left behind after editing; grammatical or stylistic errors, or corrections; and lastly it is actual changing of the text because you realise lots of things: You've left things out, put in unnecessary things, the wording is ambiguous, open to misinterpretation, it gives the wrong impression - not reading quite as you intended etc. (Perhaps it's just me!)
Yes, I think it is.

The odd typo ok or other minor edit OK, but if the changes spotted/required between previewing and submitting are so vast that the post essentially needs a rewrite then either you've not thought through what you want to say sufficiently and/or you're not proof reading well enough on preview (that's a statement of the bleedin' obvious).

If straight after submitting you "realise lots of things" need changing that indicates posting in haste, so may I suggest two possible remedies that may help you:

Firstly, there is a "Save Draft" button next to the Preview button. You can find your saved drafts at User Control Panel - Overview - Manage Drafts.

Secondly, (something I do, more often than saving a draft) once you've clicked Preview for what you think is the final time and you think you're done, just leave it there in that browser tab un-submitted and undisturbed.

Then in either case go off and do something else for a while, read other posts, make some coffee, whatever ... and later return to the draft or browser tab and read what you've written to see if you still think it makes sense. If so, submit, if not edit and repeat.

HTH ;)

Lootman
The full Lemon

Post by Lootman »

mc2fool wrote:Firstly, there is a "Save Draft" button next to the Preview button. You can find your saved drafts at User Control Panel - Overview - Manage Drafts.

Secondly, (something I do, more often than saving a draft) once you've clicked Preview for what you think is the final time and you think you're done, just leave it there in that browser tab un-submitted and undisturbed.

Then in either case go off and do something else for a while, read other posts, make some coffee, whatever ... and later return to the draft or browser tab and read what you've written to see if you still think it makes sense. If so, submit, if not edit and repeat.
Delaying publication in such ways may allow for more reflection and fewer typos. But it also increases the probability of subsequent posts being made to that topic, which then makes more work for you if you feel the need to read them to ensure that you are not repeating what someone else already said.

You might also then feel the need to write a longer post addressing both the original post you were responding to, and one or more of the subsequent posts. It can end up being a choice between one long post or two shorter ones.

So I tend to dash out posts fairly quickly and then post again if needed. Probably the exact opposite of the previously-quoted Gengulphus - his long posts were often structured not only to make a point but to anticipate and address all the possible responses he could predict :D

XFool
The full Lemon

Post by XFool »

Lootman wrote:
mc2fool wrote:Firstly, there is a "Save Draft" button next to the Preview button. You can find your saved drafts at User Control Panel - Overview - Manage Drafts.

Delaying publication in such ways may allow for more reflection and fewer typos. But it also increases the probability of subsequent posts being made to that topic, which then makes more work for you if you feel the need to read them to ensure that you are not repeating what someone else already said.
That's the first thing I thought of.

Though I don't disagree that wanting to post quickly, for a number of reasons - some good, some bad - is the cause of some of the issues.
Lootman wrote:You might also then feel the need to write a longer post addressing both the original post you were responding to, and one or more of the subsequent posts. It can end up being a choice between one long post or two shorter ones.

So I tend to dash out posts fairly quickly and then post again if needed. Probably the exact opposite of the previously-quoted Gengulphus - his long posts were often structured not only to make a point but to anticipate and address all the possible responses he could predict :D
Indeed!

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Post by mc2fool »

XFool wrote:
Lootman wrote: Delaying publication in such ways may allow for more reflection and fewer typos. But it also increases the probability of subsequent posts being made to that topic, which then makes more work for you if you feel the need to read them to ensure that you are not repeating what someone else already said.
That's the first thing I thought of.
Indeed, but then it (hopefully) reduces the chance of you posting a post where there's "unnoticed errors (such as stray words) left behind after editing; grammatical or stylistic errors, or corrections; and lastly it is actual changing of the text because you realise lots of things: You've left things out, put in unnecessary things, the wording is ambiguous, open to misinterpretation, it gives the wrong impression - not reading quite as you intended etc.".

Taking a pause and revisiting what you've written before final posting won't be felt to the needed by everyone, or in all situations, but it's a choice for those that suffer from and want to try and avoid the above syndrome. ;)

pje16
Lemon Half

Post by pje16 »

From the previous page
https://languagetool.org/

is excellent, it spots errors as you type
(left click on them to fix)
Love it

XFool
The full Lemon

Post by XFool »

mc2fool wrote:Indeed, but then it (hopefully) reduces the chance of you posting a post where there's "unnoticed errors (such as stray words) left behind after editing; grammatical or stylistic errors, or corrections; and lastly it is actual changing of the text because you realise lots of things: You've left things out, put in unnecessary things, the wording is ambiguous, open to misinterpretation, it gives the wrong impression - not reading quite as you intended etc.".

Taking a pause and revisiting what you've written before final posting won't be felt to the needed by everyone, or in all situations, but it's a choice for those that suffer from and want to try and avoid the above syndrome. ;)
Being human? :)

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Post by mc2fool »

XFool wrote:
mc2fool wrote:Indeed, but then it (hopefully) reduces the chance of you posting a post where there's "unnoticed errors (such as stray words) left behind after editing; grammatical or stylistic errors, or corrections; and lastly it is actual changing of the text because you realise lots of things: You've left things out, put in unnecessary things, the wording is ambiguous, open to misinterpretation, it gives the wrong impression - not reading quite as you intended etc.".

Being human? :)
If to err is human then I guess some are more human that others. :D

Anyway, I just wanted to point out those two "tools" you can use to possibly help you.

Personally, as I Preview and proof read my posts multiple times before submitting, if there are any unspotted typos/errors that need me to edit the post after submitting they're usually minor (famous last words here?!)

Generally the only times I use Save Draft is when it's a complex and detailed post, most often when I'm working out someone's pension entitlement or similar on the Pension Practical board. Save Draft has the advantage that the draft is kept on the server, so I can, for instance, start a post on my laptop and then decide to leave it overnight for finishing on my desktop the next morning.

Leaving a post to "ferment" in a tab I do occasionally but not very often, most usually when I'm not clear on what I'm trying to say in the first place, or not clear how to express it....

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Post by mc2fool »

pje16 wrote:From the previous page
https://languagetool.org/

is excellent, it spots errors as you type
(left click on them to fix)
Love it
So you've said three times in this thread now.

Does it re-write your post because, as XFool says, "you realise lots of things: You've left things out, put in unnecessary things, the wording is ambiguous, open to misinterpretation, it gives the wrong impression - not reading quite as you intended etc."?

No? Just a spelling and grammar checker then -- and a not very good one if your post above is any example. Doesn't it know about full stops?

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Post by Itsallaguess »

mc2fool wrote:
Taking a pause and revisiting what you've written before final posting won't be felt to [be] needed by everyone, or in all situations, but it's a choice for those that suffer from and want to try and avoid the above syndrome.
The local Twitterati?

I very nearly wrote something else, mind!

:O)

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

XFool
The full Lemon

Post by XFool »

Itsallaguess wrote:
mc2fool wrote:Taking a pause and revisiting what you've written before final posting won't be felt to [be] needed by everyone, or in all situations, but it's a choice for those that suffer from and want to try and avoid the above syndrome.
The local Twitterati?

I very nearly wrote something else, mind!

:O)
Alternatively:

User Control Panel: Friends & Foes: Manage foes

Might help resolve your 'issues'. (Or possibly not, in your case...)

Hope this helps!

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Post by mc2fool »

Itsallaguess wrote:
mc2fool wrote:Taking a pause and revisiting what you've written before final posting won't be felt to [be] needed by everyone, or in all situations, but it's a choice for those that suffer from and want to try and avoid the above syndrome.
Spotted! :lol:

XFool
The full Lemon

Post by XFool »

Back to practical suggestions for what would be useful to, mostly, address this matter in the easiest way possible. While not a complete solution it is the simplest possible and would address matters other than spelling (which is, BTW, not something that can always be addressed with a simple spellchecker. e.g. their/there, an/at, in/on, seem/seen etc.)

My simple suggestion is: Increase the editing window time
Moderator Message:
Insults removed

Itsallaguess
Lemon Half

Post by Itsallaguess »

mc2fool wrote:
Taking a pause and revisiting what you've written before final posting won't be felt to the needed by everyone, or in all situations, but it's a choice for those that suffer from and want to try and avoid the above syndrome.
Totally agree.

About a week at a time should do it...

:lol:

Cheers,

Itsallaguess

ReformedCharacter
Lemon Quarter

Post by ReformedCharacter »

Perhaps there should be a special Lemon Fool category for threads with the highest proportion of Surreal Comments, this one would be in with a chance.

RC

mc2fool
Lemon Half

Post by mc2fool »

XFool wrote:Back to practical suggestions for what would be useful to, mostly, address this matter in the easiest way possible.
Two very practical suggestions: https://www.lemonfool.co.uk/viewtopic.p ... 38#p523738, which are definitely the easiest way possible as neither requires any changes to TLF at all, and further, avoids any tedious tend.in.the.same.direction debates on the merits or not of changes with oblique insults at other posters.

XFool
The full Lemon

Post by XFool »

XFool wrote: My simple suggestion is: Increase the editing window time
Moderator Message:
Insults removed
That would be useful too. When is that going to be implemented? (Universally)

AWOL
Lemon Slice

Post by AWOL »

I would like the time period that posts can be edited to be expanded. I realise I am in a minority position but I can maybe gives those who think everyone can do what they do another perspective. I have some neurodevelopmental disabilities and these impair my ability to write clearly. They impact it in a number of ways such as:

1. I have a number of quirks which my conscious mind knows about but my unconscious mind undermines me with, such as writing "their" when I should write "there".
2. I don't always write what I intend to. I often insert words from other thoughts that arise on other topics while writing.
3. My ability to proof read is undermined by attention deficit, impaired executive function, and dyslexia.
4. I do considerably better on a PC but when I am travelling I post using tablet/phone and these devices increase the error rate by several orders of magnitude, substituting random words all over the place. I have tried ditching the bad habit of using the swipe function and turning off autocorrect but I cannot hold to the former and the latter doesn't fix the problem.
5. I have memory problems and cannot save a draft and come back later as I will not remember that I have done so.
6. I am extremely impulsive to my detriment!
7. Nothing will fix my tendency to ramble.
8. Sometimes my brain just will not organize my thoughts into a coherent order. This is compounded when it is exhausted due to having had social interactions that day.

Almost all my posts are submitted then immediately edited and if more than a line or two re-edited each time I see them again as I spot things I just couldn't see when re-reading them last time. I am not arguing for the site to be customized to suit an edge case but I would appreciate greater latitude in edit time as I like to avoid comments from the minority that feel obliged to point out my errors often instructing me with things like "tenses are important" which doesn't benefit me as much as they think as I know what I should have written, and meant to, but perhaps it makes them feel better. Perhaps other people have similar problems for similar or different reasons (none of our brains are getting any younger).

Return to “Suggestions to Improve the Site”